ESL pleb here, apology for poor English, but: how do I learn when to use whom correctly? Thanks

ESL pleb here, apology for poor English, but: how do I learn when to use whom correctly? Thanks.

Don't.

Easy answer: If you can substitute "him" into the sentence, it should be "whom." If you can substitute "he," it should be "whom."

>For whom does the bell toll?
>Does the bell toll for him?
>Does the bell toll for he?
So it's whom.

>Do you know who's is at the party?
>You do know he's is at the party.
>You do know him's is at the party.
So it's who.

Hard answer: subjects and objects.

Kek

Who is this semen demon?

This.

Nobody says whom.

I think her name is Use Google Reverse Image Search Yourself You Ignorant Shitbird

Don't listen to this.

Saying 'whom' in the correct manner is a sign of education and intelligence (however petty).

As has been said, if the verb of a relative clause acts on the antecedent, or if the 'who' is preceded by a preposition, use 'whom'.

> I saw the man who was reating
'Who' is correct as the man (the 'who', the antecedent) was the subject of the verb 'read'.
> I told the man whom you saw
'Whom' is correct as the man/antecedent is the object of 'see'
> I told the man to whom you gave the book
'Who' has the preposition 'to'.

I'm a phoneposter so that's kind of difficult to do.

Also git fuct :^)

>Saying 'whom' in the correct manner is a sign of education and intelligence (however petty).
*tips obscurantistly*

Michelle 5fur i think.

If you're in America or writing for Americans, don't use whom.

or put simplier:
who = he
whom = him

or put another way:
who = she
whom = her

From experience only. You have to learn not only what each person's skills are, but to what extent and in which conditions they are capable and willing to apply them to your purposes.

Why would you do that.

That's mush harder to remember.
Fuck you.

It's just the dative case.

>implying two characters will ever talk about something other than a man

literal R E T A R D

>That's mush harder to remember.
Here's a simple mnemonic:
WHO is SHE
THE CAT is MOTHER

Topkek

I know you're baiting, but this is legitimately incorrect, the reason being that "her" is used for both the genitive and accusative/dative cases. To wit:

Male
NOM: He
GEN: His
ACC/DAT: Him

Female
NOM: She
GEN: Her
ACC/DAT: Her

Who
NOM: Who
GEN: Whose
ACC/DAT: Whom

So actually using male pronouns as an analogy is objectively more correct in this case.

You are actually wrong bro but telling you how you are wrong is spoon feeding and I'll leave you to work it out on your own and grow as a person.

>tfw you learned German and actually had to learn how cases work and now you actually say "whom" where appropriate because it just makes sense but all of the American plebs think it's "pseudointellectual" to use proper grammar and think you're a douche

Is there anything worse than native English speakers?
Asking seriously.
It's like something about learning English first makes people literally retarded.

>tfw you learned German and actually had to learn how cases work
German has a malformed case system, should have learnt a slavic language instead.

And it's only really douchey when you use it incorrectly as a question word

Is it incorrect to use whom in a question?

Use whom when it's the object. There ya go. Simple as fuck.

I know but it's still way more intensive than English.
I don't see how learning an even more inflected language would have helped with what I posted about.

No. The poster you're replying to either didn't phrase their thought clearly or, more likely, is a pleb.

He's right and if you don't explain yourself you're admitting defeat. Let's see you now, 'bro'.

Formulate a sentence using the genitive forms and make sure you haven't confused the genitive for the possessive determiner. You will see I am correct browein.

I think you're on to something, but I don't think the reason is that they learned English first, I think it has more to do with them limiting themselves to only learning one language. And also never bothering to learn how to pronounce loanwords correct.

>correct
Correctly*