Without meme answers..is this book

really more challenging to read than Ulysses as some on ehre said

Nah

Hello samefag. Literally nobody except you cares about this shitty novel enough to make a thread about it.

Your kneecaps will make an excellent addition to my collection.

Nope, but a lot shittier.

no
this book is garbage.

so Ulysses is more challenging

Yes.

Straightforwardness isn't bad per se, but Dhalgren's style, barring excerpts from the protagonist's diary desu (mostly towards the end), is breezily readable. Problem is the subject matter is boring as balls.

which book do you think is crafted better between Ulysses and Dhalgren

Hey OP I don't care about your Ulysses bait but can you rec me some Delaney?

I enjoyed Time Square Red Time Square Blue, so I know he's a competent writer, and I'm really interested in reading literary sci-fi.

So far Solaris and The Invention of Morel are the only good sci-fi novels I've finished.

Don't listen to these trolls, OP. Dhalgren is one of the most complex books in literary history. Ulysses is only complicated because of a few references, but Dhalgren has a lot more literary merit overall. Delany revolutionized the format of the novel, whereas Ulysses is pretty much a rehash. If you can read Dhalgren, you are set for life and can pretty much quit reading forever.

nice troll bait

Not OP but literally Nova (paranormal space opera similar to Swanwick) and Babel-17 (linguistic scifi) are better than Dhalgren.

And while these aren't scifi, also consider reading The Magic Mountain, and The Radetzky March.

agreed

Those both sound great. I'll pick up Nova ASAP and try to post a thread about it a week from now.

And yeah I've been really slacking on my German literature. I always knew Magic Mountain was a modernist classic but I heard recently that it's also very weird. You've given me the push to finally pick it up.

Thanks, user.

how is it harder?

obfuscated themes, metafiction, unreliable narration, looping text, repetition and a lot of gay sex

Is it implied gay sex or is there open talk of assholes and dicks and shit? Cause that's what I loved about Naked Lunch and I want more of that.

I literally read both...Dhalgren was much easier to read...Ulysses you need a guide book to get through it

Oxen of the Sun is the only difficult chapter and that's only if you don't understand what it's trying to do.
I haven't read dhalgren tho

It's pretty explicit

I fucking love Dhalgren

its trash

Dhalgren is pretty shit.