Who /education/ here?

Any of my fellow bearers of western culture studying education? I'm starting a degree B Ed. in English/Biology tomorrow, and I was wondering if anyone else is pursuing the same.

Lol Vlad Pepeș

it's a good pepe indeed

I will be studying Law at the University of Southampton shortly. Which university you off to? Guessing American but it kicks off the thread.

I hope there's another Veeky Forums user off to my university too. Sort of at least.

I'm currently a middle school math teacher at a Title 1 school. Also certified to teach 5-12 English (which I would obviously prefer).

>University of Southampton

I'm going too! Try to find me.

(No hints, other than: it won't be obvious...)

What you studying there?

memes

scummer
Play up Pompey

I'm at McGill

fuck pompey
soton ultra already

>Vlad usually had a horse attached to each of the victim’s legs and a sharpened stake was gradually forced into the body. The end of the stake was usually oiled and care was taken that the stake not be too sharp, else the victim might die too rapidly from shock. Normally the stake was inserted into the body through the buttocks and was often forced through the body until it emerged from the mouth. However, there were many instances where victims were impaled through other body orifices or through the abdomen or chest. Infants were sometimes impaled on the stake forced through their mother’s chests. The records indicate that victims were sometimes impaled so that they hung upside down on the stake.

>Vlad Tepes often had the stakes arranged in various geometric patterns. The most common pattern was a ring of concentric circles in the outskirts of a city that was his target. The height of the spear indicated the rank of the victim. The decaying corpses were often left up for months. It was once reported that an invading Turkish army turned back in fright when it encountered thousands of rotting corpses impaled on the banks of the Danube. In 1461 Mohammed II, the conqueror of Constantinople, a man not noted for his squeamishness, returned to Constantinople after being sickened by the sight of twenty thousand impaled Turkish prisoners outside of the city of Tirgoviste. This gruesome sight is remembered in history as "the Forest of the Impaled."

A fucking legend.

For goodness' sake, never, ever, ever be a teacher. Seriously.

t. Teacher.

Why not? Also, what do you teach?

Dude, I figured that out when I realised in primary school that if I pulled my underoos down nobody was allowed to touch me.

Chemistry.

Work too much for too little reward, both emotionally and financially. Little to no respect from other teachers, certainly not the pupils/students, and very much not from the general public. Studying one's subject at university, loving the subject, then seeing it shat upon, or worse, ignored, by the vast majority is depressing.

I can speak only for chemistry - you could extrapolate for your own subjects - but you may think about teaching molecular orbital theory, but you *will* teach kids that ÷ means 'divide' on their calculators, since phones have only / (true story), or that half of '1' is 'a half' (true story, 18 year olds), or that butter comes from milk (true story).

It may be different in other countries, but here in England, it is nightmarish.

You're either talking out your arse or in the world's shittiest school.

t. English 18 year old.

>Normally the stake was inserted into the body through the buttocks and was often forced through the body
So vlad confirmed to have been raped as a kid?

I dunno man, I'm English too and I can believe it.

It's not just an English problem though; some people don't actually teach their kids shit that most of us would consider basic dumbass stuff.

And they don't instill them with the desire to seek out missing knowledge either; they just dope them with sugary foods and let them play videogames until they pass out for their entire formative lifespan; so by the time they get to school they're functionally retarded even if they were born medically normal.

It's like my nan says; "You used to need a license to own a dog".

You don't see the politics, government meddling, and behind-the-scenes sobbing, son.

It's bad.

He was sent to live with Turks, what d'you think?

maybe you are doing it wrong. My dad taught Chemistry in a university for 40 years and he seemed happy about it. Try climbing the ranks, maybe things will look better once you are the head of the department

>You don't see the politics, government meddling, and behind-the-scenes sobbing, son.
Oh no, I believe that.

I just don't believe the division, half and butter stuff.

I can believe a very few faggots can just miss a piece of fundamental information, like described; I can't believe there'd be enough of them to warrant teaching those things.

>what d'you think?

I was thinking about going to teachers college. my undergad was biochem/molecular bio...

Having a hard time making a decision. I've dreamt about teaching and starting a high-school judo club for years though. I'm not sure why, I don't even think I would be a good teacher.

I remember that crusade the Franks made against the Turks.

I remember how they ended up shitting on their own, Christian "brothers".

Denarius vult.

About to start a Masters in Medieval History.

I doubt it will help me find purpose in my life but it's something to do.

I'm a senior language arts major w/ ed cert. The academic quality in education departments is significantly lower than their counterparts. I'm attending a very good university and I'm confident of this.

It's really great that you want to be a teacher, but don't sacrifice classes in your field. Look into secondary certification, post-grad certification, and things like that to make sure you're spending a minimal amount of time in education classes.

I'm redoing my entire A-levels so I don't have to go to Manchester Met.

How fucked am I?

maybe you can be a consultant for tv shows and fantasy book authors

University is a different world to secondary school. Entirely different.

True stories, seriously. I was doing a lecture of hydrogenation of alkenes (how margarine is made) and asked a bunch of 18 years old where butter comes from. Literally no one knew.

We have to draw calculators (or project an image of one) on boards to point to the buttons to press.

I've loads of stories like this: how many metres in a kilometre, what temperature does water freeze at, etc, etc. Don't get me wrong, most kids know these things, but even *one* kids not knowing where butter comes from is just mind-boggling.

I'm that chemistry teacher, tutor too.

Depends on what you get. Just be aware that most unis nowadays go on what you get as AS level, not the completed A-level itself.

AS (year 12) is a better predictor of ability.

>asked a bunch of 18 years old where butter comes from. Literally no one knew
I'd sneer at you being new but really, you should know this from having been a student - nobody wants to step up and answer the teacher's question, especially not if it's that stupid (I do however believe that some of them don't know it. why would they care about these things when they have phones or memes)

>and asked a bunch of 18 years old where butter comes from. Literally no one knew.
Uwot. That sounds like "this must be a trick question" or the old "I don't want to speak because no one else wants to speak" thing, more than "we all lack basic knowledge of the universe".
>We have to draw calculators (or project an image of one) on boards to point to the buttons to press.
From a policy "just fucking do it" standpoint, or because students won't understand otherwise?
>but even *one* kids not knowing where butter comes from is just mind-boggling.
It is, but presumably you go through a tonne of kids. So meeting one who doesn't know some fundamental thing is not that surprising.

>Depends on what you get
So if I get good grades, I'm not locked out of good unis beyond Oxbridge?

>University is a different world to secondary school. Entirely different.
well you can be a teacher in places that are not a secondary school so maybe you should have added it into "For goodness' sake, never, ever, ever be a teacher. Seriously."

What school, if you don't mind my asking?

>18 years old where butter comes from. Literally no one knew.
I once watched a British show were teens could not turn on a washing machine. I assumed they were memeing but I guess this is what happens when you focus more on "diversity" and self hate than actual education

Too small, I think. Too identifiable.
Nice memeing you've got there yourself ;^)

Those are called "professors", not teachers. user is still right about "teacher" jobs being demoralising and unrewarding.

>how many metres in a kilometre
I don't know. I never bothered learning since I never actually needed it
>what temperature does water freeze at

Can someone who has studied here tell me what it's like?

I knew the kids, and they would say.

It was an introduction into margarine production (riveting, I know): where does butter come from? where does margarine come from? (I was hoping they would know the first, and not the second in detail, hence an intro into the subject).

> From a policy "just fucking do it" standpoint, or because students won't understand otherwise?
Because, even though students have, most definitely gone through at least a decade of maths lessons, they come to me, as a chemistry teacher, with very little knowledge of maths. And not knowing how to use calculators. (Fuck knows what happens in actual maths lessons.)

> So if I get good grades, I'm not locked out of good unis beyond Oxbridge?
Oxford and Cambridge are special cases. You have to apply by a separate process much earlier in the year, around autumn of the previous year, I think. Good grades are essential, as well as volunteering, community work, and a good brace of diverse hobbies.

OP said he was doing a B. Ed. which is a British qualification, and we British don't say 'teacher' for a university 'professor'/'lecturer'.

Little to do with 'diversity', whatever you mean by that, it's just a lack of purpose or self-control by some kids and parents.

Yes, if we're talking Celsius.

most teacher posts I see are them being whiny bitches who never learned anything themselves or have an inflated ego over what little they do know.like a prostitute that had too many clients to remember what their own first time was like

I'm not a serial killer user, but if you'd rather not say, I understand.

I like anonymity -- user. It's why I'm here.

Why'd you ask?

>Yes, if we're talking Celsius
What unite are you taking about if not Celsius?

Are you going to be forbicating with French Canadian qt's? I know pic related went there so I assume there have to be some other cute girls there.

I go to the University of Manchester and know a few people at the Met, so I wondered if you are currently at one of the schools they or I went to. I was being quite nosy.

Oh, I thought you meant where I was retaking. The only reason I was going to Met was because it's got low requirements and does medieval European history with Mandarin. I went to a grammar school way down south, if you can believe it.

32 Fahrenheit
100 Celsius
273 Kelvin (or thereabouts)

0 Celsius.

It's late.

I have a friend at the Met and he loves it, but he's doing a STEM course, so I can't vouch for the humanities programme. But if you don't think it's right for you then fair enough user.

I hope everything works out the way you want.

Thanks, user. I admit I was really aiming for the uni that had a year out in China. I'm pretty hopeful I can do better this time.

I'm sure you'll do just fine my friend. I have faith in you user.

yeah I was confused. I said 0 and you said 1000, at first I thought you mixed up freezing with boiling but you said 1000 not 100. Then I checked other unites(just in case)

Hey, if it doesn't work out, I can always just learn CS and walk into a £100'000 job, right?
He was talking about m in km with the 1'000.

>He was talking about m in km with the 1'000.
ah I see. its meaningless to me since I cant visualize it to fully comprehend it. I expected to get a better grasp on it once I got a car but I still don't have one. I used to think 2 meters was a lot but my dad called me an idiot and said that was basically 2 strides

I mean, it's longer than your dad is tall.

It's weird. I can easily visualise metres, but not kilometres. Miles are easy, but I have no idea whether the subunit of miles is yards or feet or cubits, let alone how long those things are.

kilometers are easier for me since when my dad used to take me on trips we would look at the odometer together to watch for cool alignments

I can believe all this because I hated science - I guess that's why I'm on here and not Veeky Forums. But I was never a cunt to teachers like I imagine you have to deal with - just uninterested.

Our educational standards have dropped because parents are no longer interested in raising their children. It's sad you have to pick up the pieces. I guess it's like it everywhere but in England I can only imagine it's especially pronounced - though I do come from a terrible town so maybe I'm the exception.

Make full use of the digital resources you can find and start gathering exam materials drom day one. The lessons are full of shit nowadays because they are geared towards you passing your exam. Once you know how to write the essays or whatever, focus purely on the exam to pass. Went from a ACD to AAB through this method - remember nothing, got the grades.

Not that you asked for my advice, but thought I may aswell give it. What lessons are you taking? I might be able to help with some of my resources I still have.

>Vincennes->Saint-Denis
Oh boy... just don't

Taking a dual major in english lit and cultural studies, with the intention of going into game design. Fight me.

>lessons are full of shit because they gear you towards passing your exam
>so focus purely on the exam
Huh?

Also I'm taking History and Biology and a tiny bit of Eng.Lit, because I somehow managed to not suck at it entirely.

If they're geared towards passing your exam, then that's how you pass. Very simple. I wish it wasn't the case but it is.