Literary Confession Thread

Literary Confession Thread

I mostly read because I think it will make me more knowledgeable and wise. I'm more interested in film as a medium.

I only to read to write. Reading is a literal mind exercise, so my writing would despite the influence of other narratives.

I browse Veeky Forums even though I've only read one book in the past year and it was Life of Pi. I feel stupid and reading often bores me.

this is me also

I dislike the act of reading itself. I only derive any pleasure from a novel after finishing it.

I don't have the patience for long prose. I like short books because they get to the point quickly.

And this, to a certain degree.

i think reading heavily is conducive to success in many things other than just writing or further reading. akira kurosawa said any young director should both read and write as much as they can.

I only read because I like it

i smoke cigs because i'd like to kill myself but would also like to be a prolific author

They think I read a lot,but the truth is,that I read maybe 15 books a year.

I read more for prose and style than content- or anything else.

What an asshole

I find Charles Dickens to be harder than Joyce

Joyce gets to his point eventually, Dickens skirts around it like it's got the pox.

It sometimes does.

It's just all those old english, over-complicated words he uses.

I second this. I have over 1,000 books. Never read one all the way through, just cull. My plagiarism is so piecemeal that nobody can finger my influence. I'm everyone and no one.

You are the most autistic person I have ever seen

u caint see dis niqqa

I enjoy collecting books and building up my library more than I enjoy reading.

I bought 40 books on a whim last year and I've only read 6 of them.

I read fanfiction.

literally me.

I only have a small and vague desire to write, I only do it occasionally when I'm drunk and then it's only short little poems about being drunk.
I like talking about things I read a lot, but I usually don't have much to say.

I don't know if it's because I'm a depressed autist but I derive no pleasure from reading and struggle with reading comprehension (I'm a twenty pages per hour kind of guy). Maybe it's all linked, I dunno.

It's immensely pleasurable when I write something and I'm proud of it, though. It's equally as disheartening when I wake up the next day and realize what I wrote the other day was trash.

i'm an english literature major that started his career with enthusiasm but now that i'm about to finish i've realised that i'm very disenchanted with literature in general and have lost complete interest

I actually read a lot and enjoy it, much more than I did 2-3 years ago.

the worst confession of all

The only book I've read out of high school is Lolita. I've read it probably 40times. If it gets boring, I'll find a different version of it.

I unironically enjoy romantic YA and light novel because they fill the void in my soul.

I love to read partly for the experience of losing myself in stories. When it's strong enough, everything melds away, reading becomes automatic, and I'll be fully immersed in the scenes playing out in my head.

For the most part, though, it's because it helps me deal with depression and hope the stories I read lend me some direction, identity, or at least provide some kind of cathartic experience.

I enjoyed the Spice and Wolf light novel series more than I enjoyed Vineland, which is my favorite book that actually counts as literature.

If I don't autistically take notes on what I'm reading I'll eventually forget about it, but if I do autistically take notes on what I'm reading I'll enjoy it less and it takes me forever

style without plot is unbearable

my favorite book was hatchet when I was in 6th grade

I only read for entertainment and don't care if a book makes me a better person or teaches me anything.

I've set my cause on nothing mostly because I'm shit at everything desu.
Also, my diary is purely a rhetorical device.
I'm not a massive fan of the novel as a genre (though Don Quijote is GOAT and there are plenty of them in my top books list).

I write in my diary as if someone were going to read it

Brother

>Pic
Pessoa?

me

>Also, my diary is purely a rhetorical device.
I understand, bro.

I think Borges is variable in quality and i'm not so keen on him as everyone seems to think I should be.

There's a very finite limit on the number of stories about Argentinian knife fights I want to read.

Novels about women tend to be more interesting than novels about men.

Not even trolling give me some recommendations of novels about women.

I'm reading the Iliad right now and in my head I picture Athena as a qt anime girl. I don't do this with any other characters, it wasn't a decision, just happened.
I like it.

To be fair, even he said the knife fights were the other side of the coin of his writtings, that and the poems are only really meant for people from buenos aires, Argentina and were him writing his guilty pleasures, ignore them.

The Death of the Heart
Play It as It Lays
Mrs. Dalloway
To The Lighthouse
The Age of Innocence

To be honest Athena is my waifu.

imitation has always been seen as the pathway to greatness in art- just ask harold bloom or johann winckelmann

I really like this kind of thread on Veeky Forums, aways reminds me why people's opinions on books and subjects related to literature are aways so goddamn shitty

You probably have the shittiest

>hated all modern literature I've read
Mainly read lots of Pratchett.

see, thats what I'm talking about, so easy to trigger the plebs
thanks OP

?
In my experience novels about women tend to be tedious and pretentious.

If you're a woman, that's okay.
If you're a man, that's okay, but not that okay.

the weight is lifted

Sounds right up your ally.

I agree

It takes little effort to acquire Great Taste in literature, but also great dedication to justify it

- I never understood how Roland sacrificed the kid to get to the man in black in Gunslinger. Like literally can't recall what happened and why he was forced to make a choice.
- I thought that Louis and Claudia had implied sex after leaving Lestat. I was surprised that in the movie wasn't mentioned. Then I read book 2 and realized that wasn't possible.
- I have never been triggered by NTR until book 2 of the demon cycle. Although I love the world the warded man built, I couldn't keep up with the "clever twists" the author made.

>Literary Confession Thread
>Literary

Think alot of us can relate. Had amazing teachers in high school but couldn't stand the forced Marxist interpretations of literally EVERYTHING we read in college. Now I read only every now and then and I normally have to force myself to finish when I'm halfway done.

I buy books way quicker than I read them. Sometimes I won't even open a book I've bought before going out and getting more.

>alot

Poetry is nothing but word wankery and only pretentious pseuds like it

yea..

I think this is common for many who study the Liberal Arts. The subject may interest you but after 3 years of studying within the confines of whatever your department offers it can get very stale.

Man, do I really dislike the tweeness associated with books. People read not out of passion for reading, but because they like the identity of being a reader. It's why people say shit like "I would read more if I had time" which is literally the same excuse fat people use to avoid the gym. Even then, a lot of people read only because it makes them better writers. People only want the abstraction of the thing.

Plus people act like reading is so good for you. Like it's going to change your life, but it's just another artistic medium. The idea that one is supposed to get you more brownie points over another is fucking stupid.

Like yeah make fun of Tumblr all you want but at least they genuinely think about, analyze, and corroborate over their ideas/feelings. Book reviewers only do shit like that to hear themselves talk. Very few genuinely interesting/creative things come out of it.

YA, while shitty, is a step in the right direction I think. It tears away at the pretension associated with reading. It's trash, it's garbage, it's disposable and that's what's so revolutionary about it.

The whole literary culture needs to be ripped apart from the ground up if it's going to survive, or even worse, worth surviving.

Good commentary desu, 'i would if i had more time' is both the truest and falsest excuse; you love something enough, you make time for it.
And while I agree that you should curate your interests if you're looking to somehow 'refine' thoughts, ideas, etc, but at the same time, reading YA sort of either immunizes you to its pure badness or encompasses your taste indefinitely.

Reading 'good' literature can be tedious sometimes, if for lack of diffusion of idea and antiquated phrasings in general, but I think struggling through a work is necessary just for drawing comparison sometimes. Just for understanding why it's acclaimed, why it's considered a staple of culture. Not solely due to its difficulty; though you can juxtapose that with enjoyment for some people, or bragging rights, literary merit, etc.

In all honestly though, reading can change your life; not usually one work, or one axiom, but as you expose yourself to entirely ~new~ ideologies and thoughts and settings, your paradigms could easily begin to shift alongside what you've read. The reader is thirsty for change, however diluted, filthy or brief, and some works quench all throats. Others just a few.

Sometimes it isn't that deep, but you're right about the shittiness of book reviewers nowadays; they're all looking for that new thing they can profess as the next coming of christ, or at least something so obscure they seem the ultimate patrician just for knowing about it.

I started with pomoshit and worked backwards to the Greeks.

Can anyone guess what this did to me politically?

Please tell me you found the truth and gave up pomoshit left wing politics as you read further into history and didn't apply pomoshit social theories to Plato and St Augustine...

You became an apolitical Tao-Epicurean-Stirnerian as it belongs?

Made you indulge in the wondrous pastime of butt burglary?

This, plus spending my time reading makes me feel better about myself, instead of wasting that time in front of the computer

Consider riding a motorcycle. More fun and will probably kill you faster.

>YA, while shitty, is a step in the right direction I think. It tears away at the pretension associated with reading. It's trash, it's garbage, it's disposable and that's what's so revolutionary about it.

That implies that there has never been, in any other time period, books that are purely for entertainment and similar to today's YA books which is just plain wrong. Every time period has that shit. It doesn't stand out now anymore than it would have 100 years ago. It isn't a step in any direction at all. Literature just hasn't changed much in like 400 years as far as presentation.

I agree with everything else you said though.

I bought 40 40k books last year and read them all

Jack of all trades, master of none, yet I still long to leave a literary mark on the world in some way. I have found myself comfortable with an authoritative, almost encyclopedic tone in writing, but lack the background in any field or profession to write about anything in any confidence. I do research on topics from time to time, but why write about something you learned solely from other authors? It feels shameful and secondary to me.

I don't seem to have any substantial real-world experience to draw upon to write anything meaningful. I fear I was born too late to write the 'first' substantial work on any topic, and don't have anyone to share my literary ambitions with, as no one around me reads.

I would rather write non-fiction

So you know what you have to do. Now do it.

I do genuinely love reading, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't get a sort of smug satisfaction out of being better read than most of the people I interact with.

Jane Austen is every bit as good as Joyce and the only reason Veeky Forums doesn't like her is that she's a woman who writes about women.

I scratch my arse crack while reading and some of my books smell like arse

I respect romanticism as a movement and I enjoy the work that eventually came about due to romance's influences, but I don't really care for romantic prose at all, especially Frankenstein. I hate that book.

I'm pretty sure that everyone here, who isn't a poorfag, is guilty of this.

I just ordered If on a Winter's Night a Traveler last night, while having four other books on the way, and while currently reading four books, and while having 10 books on my desk that I still need to get through

>Reading is just another artistic medium
Poor retard.
Im dead serious.

Im a real nihilist.

Meaning: i dont read almost anything.

I'm a poorfag and I'm still guilty of this. I just do it at goodwill with .50-1.00 books.

Much, much worse if you count books pirated online.

I don't like short stories

I read poetry but I've only liked Walt Whitman and epics

I've never re-read a book

I have only read 9 books this year. 4 of them are by Jules Verne.

I hate reading, because once I start reading an interesting story I have a hard time stopping. I will start reading a story, but then I want to read more and more though not for curiosity, but not wanting to be disrespectful towards the writer by not reading what he poured his heart into.
Also most often I find myself analyzing the content of the book that sometimes I will read10-20 pages for hours before moving forward with the content.
That being said I must also confess that I am very intimidated by Veeky Forums since I know that/lit/ is very well versed in their knowledge about literature itself.

You sound like a tryhard user, no one fucking feels guilty about not "respecting the author"

I haven't read a novel published after 1996, yet i frequently post that A Brief History of 7 Killings is the greatest novel published in the last 20 years.

this tbqh familia. + anorexia, so i'm nearly dead anyway

Almost everything I read is meme books I see posted on Veeky Forums all the time, and most of them are pretty good.

Gravity's Rainbow is unironically my favorite book ever.

Marlon James is pretty good, so maybe there's a chance you're correct.

Russians write the best novels.

I haven't read in a month.

I am reading Ulysses with no notes and I am enjoying it immensely.

What are the best editions with notes? (for my second reading).

I'm currently writing a novel where the main character is Bjork.

They're memes for a reason, but try to branch out eventually.

Read Tristram Shandy if you haven't already.