Has a black ever written a masterpiece?

Has a black ever written a masterpiece?

Other urls found in this thread:

pbs.org/black-culture/explore/10-black-authors-to-read/#.V87HulT3bCQ
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas
ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Invisible Man is considered a seminal work.

Invisible Man, yeah

The three musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

Invisible man by Ralph Ellison

Maya Angelou's poetry

And the others here
pbs.org/black-culture/explore/10-black-authors-to-read/#.V87HulT3bCQ

>Masterpiece
>Writing

Literature is one of the worst forms of art. There are no written masterpieces.

It's no Ulysses. You should look up the definition of a masterpiece.

>It's no Ulysses

Thankfully Dhalgren is

>definition of a masterpiece
>a work of outstanding artistry, skill, or workmanship.

>Released in 1952, Invisible Man was immediately hailed as a masterpiece. A 1965 Book Week poll of 200 writers and critics selected Invisible Man as the most distinguished novel of the previous 20 years.

This desu. Also Sonny's Blues by Baldwin is one of my favorite short stories about music.

>"book week poll"
>last 20 years
>masterpiece
>right outside the window of Lolita and Ulysess

Hell 1984 was far more significant than your black book.

What is a better art form then?

>Hell 1984 was far more significant than your black book.

No it wasn't. 1984 was awful and significance doesn't imply merit just like box office doesn't imply merit.

kek

literally anything
music and painting come to mind

>dis·tin·guished
dəˈstiNGɡwiSHt/
adjective
successful, authoritative, and commanding great respect.
"a distinguished American educationist"
synonyms: eminent, famous, renowned, prominent, well known; More

Good taste user, great short story.

>No it wasn't. 1984 was awful and significance doesn't imply merit just like box office doesn't imply merit.

>who is shakespeare

Have you ever written a masterpiece?

Dumas was half caste and wrote the count of monte Cristo. Also anyone that mentions Chinua "Yams" Achebe or Madamme Zubaba the Dreamweaver is full of shit. Invisible man is a good book but masterpiece is stretching it.

That's such a retarded response to OP's question. Why does it matter whether or not he's personally written a masterpiece?

Have you ever written a masterpiece?

quarter-caste

I think Invisible Man is a masterpiece.
People would say Beloved, but I wasn't huge on it.

I don't think anything James Baldwin wrote was a masterpiece, but I do really like him.

I would recommend "The Devil Finds Work" by James Baldwin, it's a great collection of short essays on cinema.

Three Musketeers?

Irobot fan.

Alexandre Dumas is 25% black. He's mixed race.

why are you on this board then

Stop this meme that Dumas was black.

>have to reference some irrelevant poll from 50 years ago

kek

It's not a meme you dip

>Dumas' father, General Thomas-Alexandre Davy de la Pailleterie, was born in the French colony of Saint-Domingue (present-day Haiti) to a French nobleman and an enslaved African woman. At age 14 Thomas-Alexandre was taken by his father to France, where he was educated in a military academy and entered the military for what became an illustrious career.

>Thomas-Alexandre Dumas Davy de la Pailleterie (French: [tɔma alɛksɑ̃dʁ dyma davi də la pajətʁi]; also known as Alexandre Dumas; 25 March 1762 – 26 February 1806) was a general in Revolutionary France and the highest-ranking man of African descent ever in a European army.[1] He was the first person of color in the French military to become brigadier general, the first to become divisional general, and the first to become general-in-chief of a French army.[

what do you call this meme?

Nah.

The fact that words on a page can make you feel extreme emotion shows how fantastically powerful literature can be.
Art exists in order to provoke emotion, and paintings have done that for the last fifty years since 'contemporary art' came into existence, and music for the most part is only emotional when its live.

As opposed to literature, which you can find literally anywhere and just pick up and start reading whenever you want

Machado de Assis - The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas.

Jay Wright - The Double Invention of Komo

Jean Toomer - Cane

Zora Neale Hurston - Their Eyes Were Watching God

>Machado de Assis - The Posthumous Memoirs of Bras Cubas.
Was going to say this, although he was actually a mulatto.

>MASTERPIECE

Do not shift goalposts by posting in caps

>In The Paris Review, literary critic Harold Bloom referred to Invisible Man, along with Zora Neale Hurston's Their Eyes Were Watching God, as "the only full scale works of fiction I have read by American blacks in this century that have survival possibilities at all."[17]

ah yes, no discernable... wait... what? there's discernable talent?

it's in the OP

You responded to a post

>shift goalposts
is this the latestest buzzword?

No it's a term that's been used by people for a rather long time now describing what you were doing

and i was saying those dont qualify

dumas is the only one but he's a mudblood

The first title used to establish a baseline for the term "masterpiece" was Ulysses. This bait thread was made to constantly shift goalposts and keep newfags running around angry. No matter what you post you're wrong. Stop taking the obvious bait.

>and i was saying those dont qualify

What makes you an authority? You haven't even read them. I would rather trust the opinion of someone who can name books.

I thought Veeky Forums got beyond praising James Joyce like the second coming of christ like high schoolers do two years ago. huh....interesting.......

>You haven't even read them.

pretty presumptive, i've read one out of the four and wouldnt call it a masterpiece

>pretty presumptive, i've read one out of the four

No you haven't.

kys

Posthumous Memoirs IS a masterpiece you pleb.

Shakespeare was black

>mulatto

annnnd DROPPED!

Black by American standards.

Enough with this awful meme

>survival possibilities at all
>masterpiece
My mistake.
American standards are retarded. He's neither white nor black, he's mixed race.
nice to see another woke scholar on Veeky Forums

It's not hard to be better than what at the time was considered pretentious

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexandre_Dumas

The Count of Monte Cristo, is certainly one.

>all the plebs in this thread that listed the three musketeers instead of The Count(TM)
I don't have enough wews for these lads.

mudblood

I don't understand why you people fall for the blacks are less educated and evil and dangerous and mentally inferior when among the board's population you regularly post with are people more mentally ill than the average black american. And yet you don't bitch about the god damn fucking borderline personality disorder and bipolar people.

Mah nigga Harambe's life was a masterpiece.

>are less educated and evil and dangerous and mentally inferior
They are statistically less educated, commit more violent crime, have lower IQs AND mental illness is a serious problem in African American communities.

It's hard to be better than the most important work of the century.
Or one of the most important anyway. It's influence was almost instantly recognized and hence you see how other famed writers at the time modeled their work after it.
And the important difference between the two is that Dhalgren is still considered pretentious, if that's going to be the measure of quality.

>They are statistically less educated, commit more violent crime, have lower IQs AND mental illness is a serious problem in African American communities.

Interesting. It's also a problem here. The more mentally ill people out of most social websites gravitate towards here for its anonymity. People with lower IQs, higher risks for violence, and a likelihood for comitting crime. But they're white, and you don't know it posting with them. You would largely give them a pat on the back if you met them.

And they're all around you here. If you want to care about keeping up the mental fitness of others and not making the same fucking thread for the 90th time in a year, start caring and bitch about all avenues of mental fitness. Not just blacks.

You would have to confront a large portion of posters, including a large portion who bitch about the mental fitness of blacks.

>muh theoretical humans
you have literal autism, dude.
go outside and meet some people.

because
a) Stadistically, they are all of those things, it has nothing to do with race, it's a cultural issue since the blacks were never fully integrated into the society like in, say, south america.
b) no one considers Veeky Forums the median for healthy people, neither pretends to
c) there is an insentive because, Veeky Forums being contrarian, the left is currently the most authoritative and culturally invasive ideology (particularly the PC and SJW camp, which is the main cultural competitor on internet culture with Veeky Forums's fuck law and censorship), and since they champion racial equality, it makes anons want to say "nuh uh"
d) people like you get butthurt, and that is fun.

>people with lower IQs
Veeky Forums may not be nearly intelligent as it likes to think but a board dedicated to literature is going to have a higher than average IQ, and definitely higher than the average black.
>higher risks for violence
Not really, if we're going on stereotypical 4channers (which is all we have because unlike blacks we don't have hard data) the people here trend towards introversion and docility
>likelihood for committing violent crime
Besides the odd killer, I chiefly see petty thiefs and drug users posting on Veeky Forums. It's not really the same level as violent crime.
>but they're white
Wew, one hell of an assumption.
>you'd probably give them a pat on the back
A double wew for this one

How does it feel that when confronted with the reality of the state of blacks you have to switch up and begin attacking the character of the userbase of an anonymous message board?

>Stadistically, they are all of those things, it has nothing to do with race, it's a cultural issue since the blacks were never fully integrated into the society like in, say, south america.

That has shit all to do with what I said.

>no one considers Veeky Forums the median for healthy people, neither pretends to

It's the underlying subtext by painting blacks as less mentally fit than the posting populace of let's say, /v/. You pulled this shit straight from your ass and you know it's true.

>there is an insentive because, Veeky Forums being contrarian, the left is currently the most authoritative and culturally invasive ideology (particularly the PC and SJW camp, which is the main cultural competitor on internet culture with Veeky Forums's fuck law and censorship), and since they champion racial equality, it makes anons want to say "nuh uh"

I've seen this talking point regurgitated so many times at this point it's making me laugh. Do people who post here with an agenda have a list of fucking talking points to go down when confronted with information they find uncomfortable

>people like you get butthurt, and that is fun.

I'm more likely to assume you're either being paid or are in high school

>theoretical humans
Fucking what? Are statistics gathered from fake humans or something? I've met a couple okay black people, it doesn't change the fact that they objectively are less educated and more violent as a whole.
>autism
>go outside
You're taking this discussion way too personally my man.

That's because he is a gentleman of negroid descent.

>Veeky Forums may not be nearly intelligent as it likes to think but a board dedicated to literature is going to have a higher than average IQ, and definitely higher than the average black.
>The more mentally ill people out of most social websites gravitate towards here for its anonymity. People with lower IQs, higher risks for violence, and a likelihood for comitting crime. But they're white, and you don't know it posting with them. You would largely give them a pat on the back if you met them.

Confront everything I said, not just IQ. You portray the problem of blacks being violent and yet you don't give a shit people who are mentally ill with a higher tendency for violent outburst than the average black American are posting among you.

You're not calling for "Get em out! Get em in the homes!" because you're a pussy cuck in your own retarded logic and you'd think that would be cruel.

>Besides the odd killer, I chiefly see petty thiefs and drug users posting on Veeky Forums. It's not really the same level as violent crime.

Oh first hand eyewitness accounts of posts. Extremely compelling.

>no u: the post

jfc

>it doesn't change the fact that they objectively are less educated and more violent as a whole.

More whites with borderline personality disorder come here to post anonymously than anywhere else. They post with you all the time. They are higher than mostly anyone to lash out violently at others, just as blacks statistically.

Are you ready to help me with our new social crusade to get the mentally ill treated like animals again so our neighborhoods can be safe

It isn't. It's pointing out you singularly point out violent problem individuals for their violent statistical abilities. But you won't focus equal amount on other people who can.

It's like you don't give a solid shit about what you believe and like making jokes

>allegorical
>overtly political
Eh

Thing is, I never even showed any hatred towards blacks in my post, I just stated the facts. Maybe he should busy himself with trying to uplift his race since he seems to give such a shit about it instead of crying on the internet lmao
>confront everything I said
I already did you dunce, I've already mentioned that mental illness is a serious problem amongst African American blacks.
>oh first hand eyewitness accounts of posts
As opposed to that peer reviewed publication on the mental health and crime rates of Veeky Forums posters that you're getting you're information from?
>people who are mentally ill have a higher tendency for violent outburst
Grossly generalised and factually incorrect statement. The majority of people suffering from mental illness have either anxiety, depression, or a combination of the two. Neither of which manifest in the form of an increased predilection for violence. Even in cases of psychosis such as those with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, violence is not the norm but rather an exception.
>You're not calling for "Get em out! Get em in the homes!" because you're a pussy cuck
Okay, not wanting to genocide people makes me a cuckold now. Interesting. Guess I better get a well hung man to come fuck my wife now. Thanks for shedding so much light on my sexuality for me.

>Oh first hand eyewitness accounts of posts. Extremely compelling.

sums up your whole essay

why reply? you have anecdotes, he has FBI crime stats

You realize you countered neither of my points right? You just strawmanned your way through every point.

I'll repeat, the fact that you are puting this much effort into discussing this is in itself an insentive, Veeky Forums is by it's very nature false, i hold no ideology so i can post whatever, and you make me want to keep pointing out why black people are stadistically inferior.

How new are you? I have to ask, are you from reddit? You really don't seem to fit in here.

you're the one dropping non-sequitors

refute the central point

I think this guy's just an ideologue who has never bothered to actually check out crime stats and is simply going to fling insults until we stop posting, at which point he will walk away from the computer considering himself victorious. There's not much we can do here.

>It's like you don't give a solid shit about what you believe and like making jokes
This is Veeky Forums in a nutshell, Veeky Forums is the logical conclusion of sophism, if this bothers you, leave, because you clearly aren't prepared for the site. Funny thing is, I agree with you on the evils of racism, but you are so bad at discussion that i could easily run circles around you arguing blacks are inferior, and so obnoxious, you make me want to do it

Lmao I'm exactly the same, I have literally zero problem with black people and am just pointing out how wrong he is because I love how mad he's getting.

>I already did you dunce
>Veeky Forums may not be nearly intelligent as it likes to think but a board dedicated to literature is going to have a higher than average IQ, and definitely higher than the average black.

Nope. I'm still waiting repetitive dumbshit.

>As opposed to that peer reviewed publication on the mental health and crime rates of Veeky Forums posters that you're getting you're information from?

Don't play coy with me it's not the amount that's the problem it's the fact of the matter you don't mock them at all in equal amount because you're afraid you'd alienate your base of users by doing so.

>Grossly generalised and factually incorrect statement.

So the guy bitching about statistical likelihood of blacks to commit evil deeds is bitching abotu the gross generalization of mentally ill whites capable of doing the same things.

>such as those with schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, violence is not the norm but rather an exception.

Hey, I'm sorry, but the statistics don't lie.....

>Okay, not wanting to genocide people makes me a cuckold now. Interesting.

I never said genocide. I said, "put them in homes". Just segregate them for the safety of everyone. You're for the separation of blacks to some degree right? For our safety? We can't have inferior mentally deficients capable of violence around can we? Bring back homes.

Because in another thread someone said they had bipolar disorder and another person in another thread say they suffered psychosis.

Point them out as much as you point out blacks for their violent and subhuman abilities.

>This is Veeky Forums in a nutshell, Veeky Forums is the logical conclusion of sophism, if this bothers you, leave

Nah I'll just point it out for people who take it too seriously.

Which wouldn't be me. But someone posting in this thread.

>Because in another thread someone said they had bipolar disorder and another person in another thread say they suffered psychosis.

>Point them out as much as you point out blacks for their violent and subhuman abilities.

annnneeeeccccdddoooottteeesss

Let me reiterate: Shakespeare was Black

Concerning the violence of mentally ill persons, violence is common enough especially amongst some illnesses, enough so to be considered the norm, but it is self imposed.
>More whites with borderline personality disorder come here to post anonymously than anywhere else.
This seems plausible, but not very relevant. In my dealings with lit skype chat groups there are a lot of Mexicans and blacks, but also trannies, Catholics and homosexuals. Also, Jews.
>They post with you all the time. They are higher than mostly anyone to lash out violently at others, just as blacks statistically.
I know of very few cases of Veeky Forums posters lashing out violently against others.
Outside Elliot Rodger, who? Or is lashing out including self harm?
But the mental health of Veeky Forums posters is known to be iffy, just not violently so, or do we count Twitter shitposting violence?
>Are you ready to help me with our new social crusade to get the mentally ill treated like animals again so our neighborhoods can be safe
He has made no statement on race purges at all. The only thing you could assume safely is that he's probably against blacks getting free money.

>Nah I'll just point it out for people who take it too seriously.
Is there a more passive aggressive way of implying how mad you are besides "nah, (...)"?
you are hilarious user, talk me more about yourself, what websites do you frequent?

There are no mentally ill people on Veeky Forums and no people with autism on Veeky Forums. Everyone here over 23 is sane.

>Don't play coy with me it's not the amount that's the problem it's the fact of the matter you don't mock them at all in equal amount because you're afraid you'd alienate your base of users by doing so.
Okay, now I know you're definitely new here. Veeky Forums posters FUCKING HATE eachother. I spend much more time railing on the autistic freaks and pseudointellectuals I share this board with than I do on black people, I can tell you that much.
>Hey, I'm sorry, but the statistics don't lie.....
Can you post these statistics for me? Here are my statistics: ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2013/crime-in-the-u.s.-2013/tables/table-43
>You're for the separation of blacks to some degree right?
No, I'm not, you babbling retard.

no i found an autist, believe me

"Masterpiece" is broader than "the top three novels in the English language". Invisible Man doesn't have prose on Joyce's level, which is on par with Melville's and Shakespeare's, but the work does still have excellent prose, and what's more, the work is a lot deeper than Ulysses. Ulysses is like the Family Guy of high literature, it has a ton of extraneous references just for the sake of references.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
I wonder, who does this remind me of?

>Concerning the violence of mentally ill persons, violence is common enough especially amongst some illnesses, enough so to be considered the norm, but it is self imposed.

That's not an answer. Point it out. Motive doesn't matter. Keep us safe, they could breed. They could give future white children conditions like adult alcoholism, epilepsy, or worse, make them mentally ill too.

We have to make a stand.

>I know of very few cases of Veeky Forums posters lashing out violently against others.

This isn't about the expanse of posters as a whole quit playing games. This is about the mentally ill people who post here we need to worry about.

We can't just worry about blacks. We must worry about other people corrupting the pure aryan race as well.

>But the mental health of Veeky Forums posters is known to be iffy, just not violently so, or do we count Twitter shitposting violence?

An anonymous message board where people don't have to mindlessly say they're at, that contains mentally ill people more easily capable of violence, it just so happens nobody notices that violence.

Isn't that my fucking point in the first place?

>No, I'm not, you babbling retard.

Then you really don't have a reason to get ideologically up in arms if you're not A) mentally ill B) politically offended.

No one is up in arms, we are countering your poorly made arguments because of how silly they are, it's more of an excersise than an ideological thing, i haven't met many 4channers that even have one outside the right wing and left wing scumm.
You never really made a point, or at least it wasn't understood, please, could you make your point in a concise phrase?

Also, why are you so fixed on purges? No one ever said that besides you, are you mayhaps projecting a bit?

>Art exists in order to provoke emotion
You sure have a limited view of art. Good art should stir up your body, mind, and soul. Beauty isn't just experienced in emotions.

>Okay, now I know you're definitely new here. Veeky Forums posters FUCKING HATE eachother. I spend much more time railing on the autistic freaks and pseudointellectuals I share this board with than I do on black people, I can tell you that much.

Then, what do you care I demand someone make specific threads about it. Its because mocking mentally handicapped people as hard as you mock blacks for similar reasons is still seen as edgy and not alright. The furthest you'll go out is the catch all autism. Once you start targeting other things besides autism you make people uncomfortable.

I think it's political correctness.

>we are countering your poorly made arguments because of how silly they are

No you're doing damage control I'm pretty sure. If you were saying that everything I didn't doesn't have weight just do what you do when that happens and close the thread and get in a new one. It's that easy.

All you have to do is not point out the person you're arguing with is "being silly" "being uninformed" "posting the wikipedia entry on strawman unironically after"

>Also, why are you so fixed on purges? No one ever said that besides you, are you mayhaps projecting a bit?

Sorry it's hard to figure out which beliefs your type conveniently has when it's mostly made up of and around jokes. But it's enough where you're willing to argue for it right now.

>That's not an answer. Point it out. Motive doesn't matter. Keep us safe, they could breed. They could give future white children conditions like adult alcoholism, epilepsy, or worse, make them mentally ill too.
My butthurt negro friend, how is breeding here important? I have exhibited no eugenic opinions whatsoever.
They are also not a threat, as I have said. They are a threat to themselves.
>We have to make a stand.
Again whom?
>This isn't about the expanse of posters as a whole quit playing games. This is about the mentally ill people who post here we need to worry about.
Why would we worry about them? They aren't a danger to others, they just shitpost and discuss things.
>We can't just worry about blacks. We must worry about other people corrupting the pure aryan race as well.
How deep does your butthurt go? I have no eugenics opinions, nor have even memed about them. They don't corrupt the white race since the white race is already corrupt, but with different things.
>An anonymous message board where people don't have to mindlessly say they're at, that contains mentally ill people more easily capable of violence, it just so happens nobody notices that violence.
So you have no examples of violence by chan posters? Not even anecdotal? How can nobody notice the violence?
>Then you really don't have a reason to get ideologically up in arms if you're not A) mentally ill B) politically offended.
I'm pretty sure the only offended person is the negroid gentleman who refuses to accept that blacks do a lot of crime and that they have lower education in general and that nobody sane wants to live in black ghettos.

now this is how you trole

You can't even imagine living without an ideology can you?
I just carry on because discussion is inherently fun for me.

And what is my type user? You just admitted to strawmaning because the only argument towards racism that has been made is that, stadistically, blacks are more inclined to violence, etc.