What is Tom Wolfes problem with Chomsky?

What is Tom Wolfes problem with Chomsky?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cfg0pGly-LM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Chomsky fucked his mum.

The fact that I've only just heard of Tom Wolfe right now leads me to suggest academic jealousy

Comsky's contributions to academia were debunked rather embarassingly decades ago and he holds no weight in his academic field. Since then all he's put out are popular histories for plebes that have made him a fortune.

Wolfe turned down academic jobs in favour of journalism.

Not much worth comparing there.

>>Comsky's contributions to academia were debunked rather embarassingly decades ago

Source?

>and he holds no weight in his academic field

Woah really? Source?

>Since then all he's put out are popular histories for plebes that have made him a fortune.

Oh so you dislike his politics

>Wolfe turned down academic jobs in favour of journalism.

So he's a journalist and not a studying academic'

>Not much worth comparing there.

You're right there's not

>Chomsky
>debunked
I'm no linguist, but I'm pretty sure only UGT has been debunked/thrown in the trash.

As far as I know the Chomsky hierarchy is used in compsci and his whole transformational grammar bit from Syntactic Structures is still an active research area for linguists. I'm sure the frontier looks very different from what he described, but silly to say Chomsky holds no weight.

>Comsky's contributions to academia were debunked rather embarassingly decades ago
Tom, please.

Chomskys contribution is enormous, he holds immense weight.
The people who suggest otherwise are 1) from outside the sciences and 2) looking to discredit his political work which is entirely separate and distinct through guilt by association

Ages ago Chomsky quoted something Wolfe said about the 1980s being a golden age for humanity, he quoted it disparaging after providing a long list of how awful the 80s were thanks to the neo-liberal reforms

Around the same time, either before or in response Wolfe tried to start a meme that Chomskys politics are all a pose, that because he was so good at linguistics he thought he must know about the Vietnam war, and everything he has done about politics has been to inflate his own ego
Pathetic pompous pandering poppy cock

And now follow an essay in Harpers last year crudely attacking Chomsky, Wolfe has gone and written a book 'The Evolution of Language' where he who is not a scientist and does not understand the field attempts to dismantle Chomskys work with glib quips, snide put downs, and the occasional racist aside

My first thought when I heard about his new language book was why is this old man posturing as a language expert. did yo actually read it? what are some really bad (or good) lines and reasoning from it?

Looks like the guy from back to the future lmao

How can you take anyone who looks like this seriously?

Chomsky is an antisemite, thats why

LOL

Well for one he goes on and on about Chomsky in his office, enjoying air conditioning, disdainful of fieldwork, lacking the healthy tan of going outside, possessing an unhealthy palour from being before a computer screen too long, and holding views that are remnants of the shtetl

>Wolfe was a supporter of George W. Bush and said he voted for him for president in 2004 because of what he called Bush's "great decisiveness and willingness to fight." (Bush apparently reciprocates the admiration, having read all of Wolfe's books, according to friends in 2005.[30]) After this fact emerged in a New York Times interview, Wolfe said that the reaction in the literary world was as if he had said, "I forgot to tell you—I'm a child molester." Because of this incident, he sometimes wears an American flag pin on his suit, which he compared to "holding up a cross to werewolves."[31]

Sounds like just yet another edgy substanceless contrarian, if he was born 60 years later he would just be another shitposter that took le redpilled

Wolfe is a decent prose stylist. "Bonfire of the Vanities," "The Right Stuff," "The Electric Kool-Aide Acid Test," and the article he wrote about Bob Noyce are all quite good.

I wouldn't necessarily trust his opinions on academic subjects, however. Just as I don't trust Chomsky's opinions on political/historical ones (see his take on Cambodia for an example).

Who is the fat man in that pic? Is the redness of the buttocks real? If so, that is one impressive spank he has.

so is Wolfe whats your point?

>Just as I don't trust Chomsky's opinions on political/historical ones
that the government works for the rich? that it seeks to protect its power, violently?
>(see his take on Cambodia for an example).
what do you think it is?

Chomsky's effortlessly cool

Lol wolfe isnt in the same ball park as chomsky in anything, really

Thanks for enjoying my work!

such a zany guy!

I've only read Radical Chic and Maumau'ing the Flak Catchers, but I'm glad to see that Wolfe is still kicking sand into the eyes of the liberal elite. Good for him.

Why should people be serious?

If John k is so good, why cant he make a cartoon and has to beg for donations?

Chomsky is a Jew.

Just because he opposes Israeli imperialism doesn't mean he hates Jews. You know the Palestinians are Semitic people too, right? Does that make Netanyahu an anti-Semite lmao.

>der libruls!

Brush the sand out of your eyes before typing

He's cited more in humanities than stem feilds retard. That's even on his wiki page.

Ogga booga he make numbers I like him
Universal garmar good

Reading

Kek based

Except he isn't doing shit to anyone and is just ruining his reputation.

>He's cited more in humanities than stem feilds retard

Source? Even so, and?

The fact that you've only just heard of Tom Wolfe right now lead me to suggest you're a retard

They're both hacks so who cares?

Ignorance /= stupidity.

youtu.be/cfg0pGly-LM

^guise this is the first video that comes up when you YouTube Tommy. lol literally why are we talking about him?

>The uploader has not made this video available in your country.

The source is in my post retard is on his wiki page.

Hating cucksky is not a humanities conspiracy

you got bigger problems if you live in Abu Arabia or w/e, habib

He's gone senile

he seems pretty lucid to me, just stupid

What should I read by Tom Wolfe?

Link to the article?

Bonfire of the Vanities
A Man In Full

UG has changed in how it's stated over time, but it hasn't been debunked.

>Chomsky hasn't published anything academically notable in decades
Lol

>Minimalist Program, 1995
>The Faculty of Language (with Hauser & Fitch), 2002
>Three Factors, 2005
>Problems of Projection, 2013

Better catch up on your linguistics.

He owns an air conditioner

Transformational grammar is all but dead among the vast majority of linguists. UG is still more or less a thing, though definitely not in the way Chomsky once formulated it. The only thing that's really stuck around in its more or less original form is the Chomsky hierarchy.

>(see his take on Cambodia for an example).
>what do you think it is?

Chomsky was a big fan of the Khmer Rouge back in the day, and claimed that refugees and reporters we making up stories about the genocide that was going on. Time has proven him wrong on that.

He's a good linguist. On other subjects, though, he's just a cranky polemicist.

>Comsky's contributions to academia were debunked rather embarassingly decades ago and he holds no weight in his academic field. Since then all he's put out are popular histories for plebes that have made him a fortune.
I'm not sure why this meme has popped up on the internet in the last five or so years.

>hurr people challenged universal grammar and he's since moved on to other things
That's not how it works.

stylin

Veeky Forums as fuck

chomsky btfo

looks like fucking santa claus