What books bring you back to your childhood, Veeky Forums?

what books bring you back to your childhood, Veeky Forums?

This right here. Comfy.

that one desu

i also really liked the winter one

the long walk
vurt
Dune series

On the beach
Redwall
Watership Down
Plague dogs
The hobbit
Wind in the willows
Indian in the cupboard
Hatchet
Island of the blue dolphins
Bridge to Terebithia
Where the red fern grows
The Cay
The red badge of courage
Shiloh
Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark
Ender's Game

This was a favorite of mine as a kid

lol more like the gay amirite

Nothing. That's physically impossible.

my brother from another mother

that book got me interested in mythology in the first place

beautiful illustrations too

hello Canada

Read that as "red cabbage of courage"

I forgot this book existed

The sequel called Brian's Return gives me a fucking trip. There's a section where he's describing an Indian preparing grouse stew that I must have read over a thousand times as a lad.

This book reminds me of what being a child felt like, the confusion about everything, the strange ominous feeling that something was very wrong, the feeling of exhaustion and unwellness, and the surreal quality to everything, also the impossiblity of understanding the power structures that dictated everything about life

My earliest memory is walking down this blue corridor on a kind of school trip and being utterly terrified about all the children walking with me and the adults leading us to some destination, in my memory the moment is just this complete confusion and dread, which the Trial evokes for me at certain points better than most things

Lmao

you didn't read the trial when you were a kid.

you guys would surely understand me

He never implied that, only that the books makes him reminisce about childhood

favorite series as a kid

These were my shit.
Tried revisiting them now and it was unbearable. Better to live with the nostalgia than accept the fact my once-favorite author is a hack.

that series had the most unsatisfying ending ever...

As I recall it was something along the lines of the kid he spurns in the first book was the bad guy all along, he dies gets reincarnated and dies again, and a bunch of other shit like that. Can't even remember why I ate that shit up.

Depends on what you mean.

Portrait of the Artist brought me back to childhood and the way I perceived things at the time.

Harry Potter, though, makes me feel nostalgic for my childhood. Also, fuck you. They're great. You can never take that from me

This does both. Fond memories of this series, but it also captures well what it's like to be as a child at the mercy of a world of adults.

harry potter, honestly

This

tintin

Or this

Or this

i would read this with my mom every Christmas when i was real little
i still have it today. lovely little book.

that scene when the black guy buttfucked the kid up against a palm tree during the hurricane

You read Plague Dogs when you were a kid?

My brother gave me The Little Prince for my birthday when I turned 6, I read it again recently and recalled very vivid moments from that day. Also a book of Aesop's fables that I read pretty often as a kid when I was still learning English.

Why does it say Ray Bradbury ? That book is by Thomas Pynchon.

ayy

White Fang is better

Asterix is better

this book, and later the series, is what gave me a passion for reading. I tried to write Gary Paulsen in elementary school but he never wrote back.

Read them all, loved them all

kek this looks like the scene where they enter The Zone in Stalker

The first book minus the sexual abuse

MOOMINS

i think i'm the only asshole who read/remembers these books

HA!

A gem.

This and the first 20 or so Animorphs.

Goosebumps too of course, but I think of those as individual books.

the end pissed me off so much it was so shittily done and it made the whole mystery behind the series feel half assed

my diary, desu

All of these, christ.

>Hatchet
Is it always you posting about this or do they make all of you read it in your country?

I only read shitty books as a child.

My favorites were Deltora Quest

>Holes
>Walk Two Moons
>Roald Dahl books
>Judy Blume books
>The Westing Game
>From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
>Maniac Magee
>A Wrinkle in Time
>The Phantom Tollbooth

I don't know where OP is from, but they make all of us read it in the U.S. I always abhorred the assigned reading I had in school, from elementary to high school. It's as if they always picked exactly the books that would be the least interesting to me, just to make me despise literature until finally discovering the cool parts of it in 12th grade.

That scene in Pale Fire where Kinbote remembers when he was a kid and had shota-tier relations with Oleg.
It brings me back to the good ol' days

>thees ees mi burro
>ai love heem very much

This. Note the Newbury, it basically guaranteed that every single 5th grade classroom read it in curriculum.

First book that I self-initiatively took into my hands and red, age 7.

I loved Myst and Riven as a little kid, and my mom randomly found this at the library once and borrowed it for me. I knew they existed because there was an ad that came with the games, but for some reason I thought it was like some super-secret thing that I could never get ahold of, rather than just a book you can get anywhere.

Pic related was the best, it was a pretty fun sci-fi story. One of the others was pretty directly related to the games and then the third was a shit story about literally whos in literally whocaresland.

Some of these spooked me.
Also:
>The Boxcar Children
>Goosebumps

Bringing back memories

I remember for a while in elementary school my mom would just get random book from the library for me.

I vaguely remember pic related. Something about a tough girl and a chapter called "The Barbie Incident" where the protag and his friend run into girls in the store and the friend splergs out and runs around the store with a barbie doll, then they play it off that the kid was sick.

This was another one. It was pretty spooky. It was about a kid who moved into a new house and he finds a sick guy with wings living in the garage. Basically the kid feeds him and eventually he gets better and flies off.

Oh yeah also in Skellig there was a toilet in the living room for some reason.

I also remember a book about a girl who flies across the US in a biplane with her grandpa.

And another about a kid in a tribe who does a rite of passage where he has to survive on an island and at some point fights an octopus underwater.

all of these, really:
this one especially

>Asterix
mein neger

kek