/sffg/ - Science Fiction and Fantasy General

Jar Jar Binks Fixes the State of Things by Doing Absolutely Nothing Useful Edition

Recommendations:
>Fantasy
Selected: i.imgur.com/r688cPe.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/igBYngL.jpg/
Flowchart: i.imgur.com/uykqKJn.jpg/

>Sci-Fi
Selected: i.imgur.com/A96mTQX.jpg/
General: i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg/ i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg/

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

io9.gizmodo.com/5293470/palimpsest-explores-a-sexually-transmitted-city
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

first Meida Gladstone

Why are 40k novels so bad?

Who would you get to write a 40k novel and do them justice?

Why do Spatterlight's ebooks have such shitty covers? I looked up the one for Showboat World and it's clipart quality.

>no "for"
She would be ashamed.

40k and star wars in the same thread, I never get to post this

Some 40k stuff's alright, like the old inquisition trilogy and I enjoyed a few books in the HH series so far.

Anything with "a space marine battle novel" goes directly in the trash though.

I've wondered that myself. Heck, I prefer the plain yellow covers with just the name on them to the artwork I've seen on some of the Spatterlight output.

I would have thought Spatterlight Press could tap the Vance Integral Edition team for some talent but sadly apparently not, given the state of the covers and website. At least the ebooks they've released have been VIE texts.

I posted in the old thread, but didn't realise it was dead.

What's Veeky Forumss thoughts on Alistair Reynolds? I liked his old stuff like Chasm City, Diamond Dogs, and Turquoise Days, but generally think his new stuff about the elephants in space is a bit shit.

Taking a break from the fantasy doorstoppers with some Ron Goulart.

Tried asking this in the old thread bjt didn't get any replies so here goes: what are your favorite short story writers in genre? Also, is there any decent magazine you can get delivered to Europe?

>sffg
>doesn't fulfill your life with real literature
pic related what you nerds wish you could read

>didn't get any replies
you were told to stfu faggot. what part of this you don't understand?

God, it's the lost redditor again. Fuck off, we all know you've nothing of worth to contribute, yourself most of all.

Yeah, the actual content is well-formatted and expertly reproduced.

I just wish the cover for the Tschai/Planet of Adventure ebook didn't look like some Halo fanfiction that was self-published by a fifteen year-old.

theres like 3 guys who replied to you negatively. im one of them. leave the scifi writing to professionals, gaskun junior.

The only reply Reynolds-user got was a referral to this thread.

nobody here reads, big surprise

Pic related.

>Davy Crockett in Space
>the new novel by Jack Vance
>they stole his coonskin cap
>now it's personal

It was the short story guy we were responding to...
What the fuck you on user?

Reynolds-user here, reminds me of Veeky Forums really, no one actually plays but everyone can tell you why you're a fucking faggot for playing the way you do

People sperg out when they were recommended trash, no?

Is it because the trash I was recommended(baited) and disliked so much that I went out of my way to show my hate, was actually your fav books you can get butthurt?

Are you the only person who gets to say what we should like or dislike?
Are you the monarch for sffg or something?

If I feel like I was baited I have to right to say so.
Women authors user, anti-dino, girl pedo user all get a free pass, but let my rage at having wasted weeks reading the shit you guys suggested me kindle, and I'm the bad guy?

And only one guy - the stfu idiot i.e. you - replied negatively.

>Chasm City,
About to read.

I like to think I actually replied fairly positively thank you very much. Stop being a pugnacious prick.

Sci-fi writing? Wtf are you on you fucking retard? I asked a question, nothing about writing. Jfc this shithole has turned worse than fucking r/books

Hell, I think that style is alright

But this.

>i.e. you
I wasn't the original user that told him to stfu... can't you read?

>you were told to stfu faggot. what part of this you don't understand?

yeah that was me

you can tell a difference between me and him. i dont bother with punctuation

Stfu idiot

Any good hard sciences short stories like Greg Egan, Ken Liu, Ted Chiang?

>Beware the undead leucomorphs

Ironically it fits classic scifi covers where the action depicted has almost nothing to do with the story. No shierls on Tschai, though.

Reynolds seems like he's been on a decline. His newer material is hit and miss (and even the end of the Revelation Space series was mediocre), despite his earlier work being excellent.

good book, probably my favourite book desu

Stfu faggot

boring fest

Maybe he's working through a slogging middle, and approaching his most profound works. He's only 50 you know.

Only one may live

Who do you save?

That isn't hard, Sanderson lives, I can't stand anything he writes but at least he isn't a massive faggot like Rothfuss.

Dang, thin Sanderson has a kind of unconventional attractiveness, how unfortunate

>picture for ants.bmp

Sanderson lives, he doesn't pull his out cock out of a work in progress for 4+ years while occasionally teasing you with it.

Blue board = blue balls, no exception.

Does anyone here subscribe to any magazines?

No, and you shouldn't either, they're all fucking terrible; if your lucky you'll maybe get one readable story per issue.

fuck you, copper

How do you know theyre terrible if you dont subscribe to any?

>subscribe
>printed media
kek

easily sanderson, though i dont care for his fiction

rothfuss is an egregiously insufferable faggot. if anyone tries to save him, ill make sure they share his fate.

makeup and photoshop works wonders. he was never attractive.

you can read without subscribing

Does he have alzheimer's or something?

Dont the print/ebook versions have different shit than the online version?

>ywn congratulate Jemisin on her latest award, pop a shoujo anime DVD in and snuggle up to her milfy body as you both veg out

Hello my good man, good taste t b h. Try the short fiction of Greg Bear and Peter Watts.

Also, do you have a nicely shaped skull? No reason.

would you defend her honor from Vox Day's vile slanders?

If Rothfuss hadn't decided to pull a GRRM while being insufferable I would have said him, but at this point I no longer care if he finishes his series. So Sanderson.

I don't use twitter, but I'd give her a back rub to help her recuperate.

Doesn't he legitimately have autism?

Either way, Goodkind is great for triggering Reddit.

Why do I feel I'm the only one who likes Catherynne Valente? Her work is a fucking bottomless font of clever ideas, silky prose and beautiful worlds. She does not deserve to be overshadowed by Neil Gaiman (not that he's bad, he's just not on her level)

>autism
maybe. That or alzheimer's, you could fit his new books on 5 pages but the endless repletion not only kills the story but turns it into a chore. can your autism get worse?Its been 10 years since I read his first books and I don't recall it being this bad

>humans within the age range of adolescence years have the ability to become immaterial and pass through objects
>they are used indiscriminately for various purposes including security, assassins, target practice, espionage, secret warfare
>all people grow up to become psychopathic assholes, paranoid fuckups, cold and distant robots
>only ones who don't are actually born and raised to fill various roles in the society and kept away from the "public"
>the world is very beautiful because of this. Things are made to be beautiful and large instead of sturdy or brute because arguably the most important people can pass through everything unhindered
>no such things are blocky fortresses and huge walls and shit. Everything is vast and spacious
>security is based on clever use of angles and optical illusions so that instead of the real world where an assassin would have to get past walls and guards, an assassin would have to solve various mental games and puzzles and it becomes a searching game through vast palaces and labyrinthine corridors.

Do you guys like my setting? I have quite a good story in it, I'm some 30k words done already.
I'm really feeling it.

stop posting faggot

you stop posting faggot

Why do morons like Vox Day campaign so futilely and desperately to shill their garbage? Why don't they start their own terrible award program and keep their shit contained from the decently fine Hugos?

Post a pastebin to either the first chapter or a section you feel is especially strong (or weak if you're worried). I'll read it in the morning so check the thread later. It's an interesting idea.

Why hasn't anyone written a Vox Day/NKJ erotica yet?

It's okay bro. We'll make it bro. Check my challenge bro.

>humans within the age range of adolescence years have the ability to become immaterial and pass through objects
How many scenes of people waking in on each other?
>all people grow up to become psychopathic assholes, paranoid fuckups, cold and distant robots
nah it would all be sex orgies. I mean at first people would be apprehensive but eventually they would give into the new social structure. distant robots happen only when everyone has mind reading. inability to enforce personal space would have different results
>Everything is vast and spacious
Have you looked into psychological effects of that?
>optical illusions
unless there is a pit involved they could just close their eyes and walk. Technology would give them basic suits that can keep them safe (or do they have to be nude to pass objects)
>labyrinthine corridors
people can pass through objects right?
>adolescence
make it so that power goes away once you turn 20 or 25, to make it more YA.

They've moved onto to the Dragons

here is mine (I have a few but this one is new)
>MC is a body jumper
>jumps into evil or suicidal people
>can't stay for long
>sometimes figures out what to do with those people
>to have a sense of identity MC makes an organization called labyrinth and gives himself the title of minotaur.He makes up a ring design which allows his people to know him.
>cops are on his ass because some of his kills are now being connected to the orginization
any ideas? seems bit OP, kind of shit you may give an antagonist that ends up trapped in a soul stone but I like characters that have desires and personal drive to make them into reality instead of waiting for destiny like most protagonists

>my life in the CIA
That looks like a deep book

for you

>>>/reddit/
Back to liberal retard land with you.

I'd read the shit out of that sempai. Post that bitch up when you get the chance.

Are Conan prose stories still being published?

He's just a really really bad writer
Plus he did the same as Frank Miller and went mental after 9/11

Difference being that Miller had some talent to lose

>Why do I feel I'm the only one who likes Catherynne Valente?
Well which of her books do you recommend a new reader starts on?

I dunno senpai, her wikipedia entry wasn't very enticing. You'll need to actually sell us on her. Also, defend this io9.gizmodo.com/5293470/palimpsest-explores-a-sexually-transmitted-city

read the Orphans Tales duology. it's a book of fairy-tales inspired by the arabian nights but not based on them. She takes her originality seriously here, and weaves unrelated narratives like a pro. While the first one is merely great, the second one is fucking mindblowing, full of insanely fantastic ideas I could never have though of in my wildest dreams

She's very high-concept, but she has extremely good execution as well. Maybe that's why I like her, since original concepts are a huge thing to me.

That said, if you read The Orphan's Tales or The Melancholy of Mecha Girl, you start to see the kind of weird things going through her head

Spiders who replaced their legs with needles to write caligraphy, Political conspiracies among Jinni royalty, an explanation of Baryogenesis told through greek myths.

These are enough on their own, but her style is what sells it. It is, for lack of a better word, "tender" in the sense that it melts in your mouth, or rather your eyes. It basically reads itself to you, like suddenly you're 6 years old again and you just want one more page

Rothfuss. Why is Name of the Wind so popular when it's so boring? I'm currently on page 155 and we've spent most of the book jerking off over the boring ass world building and how special the main character.

Sorry for the late reply Donkey old bean, I had to drop off to sleep.

I tracked down an English fellow who was hawking his set on a forum. Turns out he had sold it on to a bookseller, but even so, it was still cheaper than any of the secondhand sets I'd seen on eBay before (or after), so I bought it from him.

Spatterlight Press is tapping the talents of the VIE team (you'll see some familiar names over there), but it is, AFAIK, pretty much a volunteer operation(?). The VIE proper also had some art, but it did absolutely nothing for me.

The Orphan's Tales are masterful.

No question save Sanderson and have Rothfuss confined to a plane of reality where his only companionship is the loathsome main character he has created and he is forced to burn his books to keep warm, though he never gets quite warm enough

>What does it mean if the gods can be killed? The first novel in an epic new fantasy series for readers of Brent Weeks, Brandon Sanderson, Peter V. Brett, and Scott Lynch.

Cool book

Female author so worthless

Gods can be killed in multiple mythologies and traditions. In fact, instances where they absolutely can't be killed are much less common, it's just that one of them happens to be the Olympian/Greek tradition, which has become by far the most famous.

CLANGED

That's pretty sexist...

Star Trek > Star Wars

It's also pretty shit art.

They're puerile male fantasy entertainment where the main character is the best at everything and always has the right witticism and girls love him because he's so witty and good at sex that he looses his virginity to a sex godess and she thinks he's awesome at sex.

I'd say he's kinda like Dan Brown for nerds, except Dan Brown can write more than one book in a decade.

NOTW was fine until WMF.
An entire book of magic elf sex and nothing else is the biggest shit I've ever seen anyone take on a series.

Just looked up Orphan's Tales. Is it a loosely connected series of short stories in the vein of Invisible Cities?

I haven't read Invisible Cities, so I can't comment on the similarity. But the two books each have two (IIRC) larger stories, each of which is structured like a Matryoshka doll. That is to say, if the story starts, e.g., with a boy, and the boy meets a bear, then the story might continue with the bear's story, and ever deeper into the nest, until it starts coming back up again in the midway point.

The larger stories are interconnected, but IIRC it only shows in the latter volume.

Sounds pretty neat, I'll check it out

How many scenes of people waking in on each other?
You mean walking? Many, but when they become immaterial they can touch each other because their aura connects. Combat is especially interesting. A series of phasing in and out of material form, wild movements to get to injure the opponent.
>nah it would all be sex orgies. I mean at first people would be apprehensive but eventually they would give into the new social structure. distant robots happen only when everyone has mind reading. inability to enforce personal space would have different results
Oh I know. One of the first scenes is a sex/sick fun scene involving 3 of the protagonists.
What I want to write is edgy fucktards who think they own the whole world, slurry girl assassins, mentally broken victims of years upon childhood years of having done and seen horrible stuff.
I want to have fun with this.
>Have you looked into psychological effects of that? unless there is a pit involved they could just close their eyes and walk. Technology would give them basic suits that can keep them safe (or do they have to be nude to pass objects)
Nope but technology did evolve to suit the needs of the population and security, as well as means to control these hormone-fueled teens with practical invulnerability. I like to think that people are less focused on building blocky, tight, ergonomic confines if a good part of the population (arguably the most important and influential part) can simply waltz up your shit.
Instead they focus on beauty and vastness. Towers are BY FAR the structure type of choices. All great places if the world are characterised by towers, large and majestic. Also elevators. Many fucking elevators.
>people can pass through objects right?
People can pass through everything but that doesn't mean they have a mental minimap of the dungeon. You enter the building, go straight forward, see that everything looks the same, turn back, o shit where am I now, go back again, stumble into a room you've never seen before, turn around only to face 3 bodyguards like yourself. You run, pass through as many walls as you can to break line of sight until eventually you kinda get out of the building.
What now?
>make it so that power goes away once you turn 20 or 25, to make it more YA.
The power lasts to 14-17 years old, in rare cases it lasts more or less. Some of the oldest of these kids during the time of the book are 16. The story is dark though so don't think age means anything if you're forced to do weird shit from the age of 6.

Finished Prince of Thorns trilogy in a day. Felt it was super edgy at first but I liked the direction it moved in. Second book was definitely the best though. Ending to the series felt very rushed, could have used a few more chapters.
Is the second trilogy in the same setting worth it?
Agreed. While Reynolds is one of my all time favourites, I can't find myself giving a shit about his post-Revelation Space setting stuff. Some short stories are great though.
Have you tried Vernor Vinge? I put A Deepness In The Sky on the same level as the best of Reynolds.

Are you Australian?

Okay, Im 50 pages into Malazan book one. Seems aight. Anyone here made it all the way through? How screwed am I.