Who was the greatest American philosopher of all time?

this guy? or someone else

Other urls found in this thread:

orgyofthewill.net/
youtube.com/watch?v=q9ZOX5JnuZA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>American
>philosopher

I would say CS Piercedeserves that title more so than James to be honest

CS Pierce

triple me Peirce

There are none.

I like Ralph Waldo Emerson though.

Peirce

PEIRCE OR STANLEY CAVELL

Is there a reason for Pierce other than the fact that he is not James, and therefore less known? Or is this the typical " I'm gonna go with the relatively obscure guy because he's not the one everyone thinks of" routine?

B E R E T M A N

E

R

E

T

M

A

N

>Peircean semiotics
>abduction
>pragmaticism

He's a neglected thinker, but he was engaged with many thorny problems in logic and 'naturalist' metaphysics and produced A TON of work that can be wildly uneven but still very rewarding to trawl through.

icycalm
orgyofthewill.net/

412. I believe in America. When the bombs were falling on Kosovo and everyone in Greece was anti-American, I was wearing a t-shirt with the stars and stripes on the back, drawing sharp looks and criticisms wherever I would go. I grew up with American videogames. I learned English as a child through American comics. I became acquainted with my body and learned to take pleasure in it through American sports. I opened up to a world of drama and possibilities through American movies. My DNA is Greek, but my dreams are American. Who is the first American philosopher? I am.

Quine tbqh

God damn it, didn't this posturing faggot kill himself in some shitty street race?

Wow. Much contempt of death. Such Dionysos.

Pierce wasn't much of a philosopher. He was more a logician, mathematician, and practicalist. These things don't make him a philosopher though. Philosophy is much more than that.

Rand. By the virtue of being the only one.

Sort of must be Quine.

Fredric Jameson and if you disagree you're a pol faggot

This man obviously

Alfred North Whitehead

is this Quine.....was he intelligent?

Last great polymath. Though maybe we can gave that one to Putnam

Whitehead (though great and overlooked) is a limey and not a burger.
I would however like to nominate Santayana.

what made Quine so influential to philosophy?

>no Dewey

put me down for Quine

How did I forget about the Dewdster. This might be it lads.
Santayana is cool. Quine might be the right answer, but, I have a personal vote for Dewey.

youtube.com/watch?v=q9ZOX5JnuZA

David Foster Wallace.

undermined the analytic-synthetic distinction that was used as a primary philosophical justification for logical positivism, the Quine-Putnam indispensability thesis for the reality of mathematical entities, important advances in the philosophy of language, including the indeterminacy of translation, and his efforts to demonstrate the continuity between philosophy and science

put me down for the Quinester