Veeky Forums is always saying read the Greeks this, read the Greeks that. So I am reading the Greeks...

Veeky Forums is always saying read the Greeks this, read the Greeks that. So I am reading the Greeks, and Plato tells me that first you should master mathematics.

Has Veeky Forums mastered mathematics yet?

Mathematics for Plato is what you learn in elementary school.

Of course. If you don't at a bare minimum understand multivariate calculus you aren't really something I would consider human.

mathematics for Plato was everything that was available at the moment in mathematics

also, mathematics for Plato also included physics

Read about Euclid and Pythagoras you fucking PLEB

>i passed my bare-minimum obligatory math courses in highschool with a C
>thus i have mastered mathematics

One should work through Euclid's proofs themselves, not just read about the man.

All 13 of Euclid's elements including axioms and proofs are taught in elementary school.

see

>father of geometry
>13 proofs

I dont know why I am still surprised people on lit are so fucking clueless. Euclid revolutionized and set the standard for mathematics in defining a mere 5 axioms and extrapolating and incredible amount from them. In fact, you see that same pattern all throughout the platonic works; a simple axiom is played with until quite complex and non intuitive results fall out. Euclid's inspiriation on plato led the way for what texts of rational, philosophic work should look like up through at least Spinoza who laid out his magnum opus according to the geometric method.

So put the dick back in your mouth if what comes out will be this uneducated.

>starting from the greeks
>starting from mathematics
>not starting from the cavemen
Lmao OP you are a fool

I assume he was referring to the 13 books.

It included something called physics but the physics we learn is Newtonian and Einsteinian.

I'm majoring in mathematics and philosophy. While most math students take to philosophy very well I would not deem it entirely necessary in order to study philosophy at a high level.

this, he encourages the study of mathematics, but not throughout the individuals life, he specifically appoints it mainly on early stages on the grounds that it'll make the child keener to the abstract forms.

>"the highest form of pure thought is mathematics"
>what is dialectic
>your fucking face when Plato's Republic considers mathematics as a mere single instance of the fields which bring a student closer to dialectic, and which then serve to exercise skill of dialectic

If you want to argue for the relevance of mathematics in Plato, this is probably your best bet. Mathematics is prized not because it lets you do math problems, but because it "turns the soul to the good" and helps you "look up" from the realm of the visible to that of the intelligible, through "summoning" the soul to make sense of things that "confuse" the (weaker) sense perceptions of sight, touch, etc.

It's an exercise in abstraction, along with geometry, 3-d geometry (both of which Plato considers distinct from mathematics or "numbers") and even "astronomy" in the sense of considering the arrangement and movement of celestial bodies to arrive at "first principles" of movement and space--ironically (at first glance) NOT through looking at and studying the sky and stars, but only through abstract thought, i.e., use of intelligible forms rather than visible images to form first principles.

So there isn't any need to dwell on mathematics. Although anyone with extensive experience in the field will more easily see the point Plato is trying to make in "summoning" the rational soul to tackle an abstract problem, the actual mathematics itself in Plato is extremely straightforward. If you want to study something abstract and theoretical to get an edge on Plato's point, you can totally do so, but know that there is massively diminishing marginal utility in doing so, even for the limited and specific instances in which such knowledge would lend a hand.

t. studied physics at uni and reread Republic in the last few days, would welcome any discussion on any points I have made since I won't purport to know with absolute certainty everything I've stated.

>not starting from the cavemen
Is this why American literature is so popular around here?

how can one be this dumb?

How am I dumb when I have 99 IQ? I've learned through all 13 of Euclid's faggot elements and I'm passed that pleb shit now and working on non-Euclidian geometry, woohoo. Bet you can't know what a tetrahedron is dumb sack of pancake mix. By the way, I'm related to Duchamp so white blood runs through these brazen veins. I'm a Dadaist as well, so, yeah, ill tour self.

How do i into matematix?
Not b8

philosophy students tend to dislike mathematics for the same reason they tend to dislike logic and try to drop logic courses at the earliest allowed instance.

They much prefer to write waffly, opinion-piece essays about gender or structuralism which is why classes on those topics are have far greater attendence than classes on say formal systems.

Basic Mathematics by Sergei Lang. Starts with literal primary school stuff (but approached rigorously of course) so anyone can start with it.

We learn that stuff in elementary school.

i'm currently using khan academy on youtube for calculus and such. is it useful as well?

weak bantz

They never tell you that ~50% of Greek mathematics was mystical numerology.