>age
>location
>current book you're reading, and how do you like it

Other urls found in this thread:

u.pomf.is/echdrr.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

25, South Aftica, Blood Meridian and loving every moment.

>18
>nocal
>those trips, and im loving it

27, washington d.c., lovecraft's complete works (not real impressed, but my expectations might've been too high since i'm from providence)

>26
>southwest Michigan
>Ulysses
>I'm not liking it...

This is the third time I've picked the book up but I'll make sure I get through it one day. I just finished Tortilla Flat and really liked it.

Why not?

>20
>Russia
>Dubliners, and it's pretty good

>19
>local
>aleph borge

It's just been pretty boring. I've just finished the first chapter and found last few pages of it to be painfully slow and meandering. The part with him teaching and talking to his boss were really fun and interesting to read though. I just find the parts that are boring to be a little too self indulgent for my taste. I should have clarified I wasn't far into the book though to begin with. I'll continue through but if I get 200 pages through and it's still painful to read I won't continue.

>25
>Portugal
>A collection of Borges

Ontario, GTA
Ulysses, it's had its ups and downs for me but it's been an intense experience. The chapters I loved I really loved and the chapters I hated I really hated

London
Tristram Shandy
Pretty good but whilst i appreciate the whole thing its pretty tiring.

>33
>england
>brothers k
it's good stuff, rereading it for the first time since i was a student and it turns out i'd forgotten almost everything.

England
Catch 22. About halfway through it and there have been some genuinely hilarious bits so far, really enjoying it.

23, Edinburgh, Stoner, 40 pages or so to go. Probably best book I've ever read unless it goes horribly wrong from here. Though I know it won't

Janet?

Purity by Franzen
Meh

Is stoner a sad book? I thought it was just a meme tbqhfam

>22
>somewhere in Europe
>Confessions of a Mask
real nice

18, Tehran (Iran), Schopenhauer's Essays, The Selfish Meme, Histories, Oblomov and the Republic

>29
>Colombia
>Hystopia by David Means
>So Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche

Hystopia is really cool, but as of now I dont see why it merits being long listed for the manbooker. Zarathustra is very enjoyable, but it was a mistake choosing it for my first Nietchoo.

>22
>Mexico City
>The Merchant of Venice

On 2.7 atm
Really liking it, the problem of identity is well developed in this first two scenes. I have high hopes for this play.

> 27
> Poland
> Brief interviews with hideous men
Some of those short stories are just fine, some are amazing.

London, Ontario
Invitation to a Beheading, which is so far stellar, though very similar to Kafka's The Trial

couldn't read it cause the language was hard for me (I'm not native English speaker), is it also hard for a native to read Nabokov?

It has been fine so far, though I have read a fair number of Nabokov's works so I may be acclimated to his prose. I wouldn't be too hard on yourself, Nabokov is known for his flowery style.

Perhaps try Laughter in the Dark, it's great and probably one of his less adorned novels prose-wise.

>21
>Brazil
>Nine Stories (J.D. Salinger)

Certainly deserves its place in the Canon, some amazing short stories here.

Apparently everyone's favorite is "A perfect day for bananafish" and I can get along with that. It really impressed me with how clear you can picture everything, even though there's not exaggerated details like a lot of writers do.

If you haven't already, read it here: u.pomf.is/echdrr.pdf
It's worth it.

Thanks, I would, Invitation was my first try on Nabokov and I find it hard so abandoned it, but I would try it asap

>27
>Arizona (South)
>Los Detectives Salvajes by Roberto Bolaño
Started last night. I'm only about two, or three, boners into the story.

>23
>UK
>Time's Arrow

IBeen reading a lot of ancient stuff recently so I decided to switch things up by reading something modern. It's alright but I keep being distracted by my own despair and longing for the girl that despises me.

Tell me Veeky Forums:how do you deal with life when you want to die but are not suicidal?

oh wow people on this board don't know about data mining

>how do you deal with life when you want to die but are not suicidal?
I jerk off and think about jerking off and how it's a sin and if there's a life after death I would get fucked up, bu then I think that there's no life after death and they're all bulshit, and that distract me about thinking about my vain existence.

>there will never be a McCarthy novel set in some horrific contemporary african conflict

do u know this feel

Slower lower Delaware
Gravity's rainbow
I can dig it, fun read.

>22
>Bulgaria
>Monstrous Regiment
Almost at the end, reasonably enjoyable, although I think Pratchett overdid it a bit.

>23
>Scandinavia
>Being and Time, by Heidegger

It's ok. There are definitely extremely lucid moments, especially as a sort of antidote to the numbingly boring "rational" scientism bullshit metaphysics that every other plebian uses for "enlightenment" these days.

Although often I find it slightly long-winded, boring and even a little banal. He even says at some point in the beginning that much of it will feel like stating the obvious in a slightly different way and he was exactly right.

Are you reading an annotated edition? At least the self indulgence will make sense.

It's intensely melancholic.

This did nothing for me. Talk about self indulgence, holy shit.

Nah, the way I feel at the moment, I would read McCarthy write about anything. Blood Meridian has been such a pleasure to read currently.

>23
>Baltics
>Time's Arrow by Amis. It's fucking amazing

>20

>Budapest

>Magnetic death by Frigyes Karinthy
So far so good.I'm eager to find out how Karinthy handles sci-fi,since most of his works I have read took place in (then) contemporary Hungary.
Reminds me a bit of Candide so far

>Confucianist stories
It's a bit dry,but overall,I'm going to stick with it because of it's cultural value.
I like chinese stories.

Hey, me too!

Wanna go to Prague in December?

>18
>newcastle (england)
>infinite jest
memes aside it actually is really good. ive been trawling through it for a couple of months on and off so it hasn't exactly been fast but damn, it is a little hit or miss but when it hits it really fucking hits it out of the park

(favourite bits so far, eschaton, when Himselfs dad tells himself about the injury that stopped his career, when dfw goes through all of the thoughts etc of people in halfway houses, could go on. so good.

on page 650 atm )

>u.pomf.is/echdrr.pdf
thanks, this'll be my morning read tomorrow.
sorry about your president by the way, we didn't mean to give you the brazilian gemayel.

underage

Just got back from Czech Republic two weeks ago, but thanks for the offer. Where are you from exactly?

honestly who gives a fuck

Just got back from Czech Republic two weeks ago, but thanks for the offer. Where are you from exactly?

Blue board?

Ah, how was it? I'll probably just go for a week; Prague looks rather cozy to me.

I'm from Kent, England. It's kinda mediocre but we have Canterbury which is nice

>22
>DC
>The Road

Just started. Looking forward to it.

Hands down one of the most beautiful places I've been. Kafka's museum is also pretty cool.

>22
>Istanbul
>Moby dick
>can't decide if literary marvel or pure drivel

Nope lol

Literary marvel. You're reading it in english, right?

In English,of course. No doubt this is a great book but his digressions feel too meaningless sometimes. Some of them will deeply move me, others compel me to just throw the book away.

>23 (+-)
>fuck off
>Bleeding Hearts (Demimonde, #1) its garbage, time to move on to "Andrei Lankov - The Real North Korea"

How much do you know about christianity?

alert the cyber cops

That's definitely my favorite Salinger work! For Esmé—with Love and Squalor was my favorite story from it.

I'm afraid the only book I've read on Christianity is Armstrong's A History of God which I found to be repulsive for it's deeply apologetic view of Islam. So not much but I definitely mean to in the future. If you are talking about the Biblical references I'm using the Wodsworth publication that has super useful endnotes.

>17
>Nebraska
>The Conquest of New Spain

This book has been a pretty comfy read so far.

I have absolutely no idea about the meaning of your president comment, but enjoy the reading.

Also, LibGen has the complete ebook in case you want more.

>21
>L O N D O N
>Infinite Meme, it's pretty good but I find it pretty hard to get into
>No Longer Human, interesting book but translated Japanese is a bit awkward

>22
>Southern Indiana
>Montaigne's Essays

Been reading it for about four months now and I think Montaigne might be the sanest author I've ever read. He's helped me out when I thought I was losing my mind, made me laugh, and has never been boring. I get why people talk about the Essays like they're talking about a life long friend, reading them makes you feel less alone.

>talking about a life long friend
Do you think they mean to imply the works' length by that or that's is infinitely re-readable nature?

sweden
JR

it is difficult to keep up

Probably both, It's nearly 1300 pages long and I definitely see myself re-reading it in the future.

Haven't got there yet but I'm excited for this one, should be one of his best.

Once I finish the book I plan on searching for some essays about those short stories. I'm sure there are a lot of things underneath that I didn't catch.

>22
>Ottawa
>9 Stories by Salinger

Holy fuck this book is so good so far. These stories are absolutely devastating, highly recommend it.

I thought that Uncle Wiggly was better actually. Banana Fish was great and the ending is a gut punch, but I think the one after is a bit more fleshed out and subtle.

I'd also like to add that it's because he mostly wrote about himself, his ever changing moods/ideas/opinions/tastes etc. It might be the closest a book has come to representing a full individual.

New York
Mazalan: gardens of the moon.

It's pretty okay. There's a noble kid and two soldiers in the scene now. It's not getting on my nerves with it's in the middle of things opening.

>18
>Bosnia
>V.

Absolutely loving the meme author

No it's not an annotated edition. I've been looking up some context though every evening on what I've read. Annotations would be fucking wonderful now that I'm getting into the book. Maybe next time...

I'm happy to hear others enjoy Salinger's work. Seems like so many want to say how terrible and lame his writing is (usually tongue in cheek of course).

15, new york, diary of a man in despair. good

>19
>Netherlands
>The Tatar Steppe
>Love it

Ur not supposed to tell them. u can get banned ya know.

>15
>15
>15

Since I'm Brazilian Salinger holds no history for me (we don't read it in school, few people know him etc), so there's also no prejudice. I enjoyed Catcher in the Rye and I'm enjoying his short stories a lot more, he's really one of the greats.

This would be the prime underage pseud hub board. A bunch of pretentious teenagers who believe they are so above their peers.

>29
>Hungary
>Don Quixote: sometimes it's hilarious and pretty charming, but also tends to be tedious.

>21
>Rome
>zhuangzi

comfy af

Tbh the whole book can easily be treated as a sequence of digressions. If you really didn't get what he was trying to say with some of them, interpret harder.

Dumb fucks

>21
>England
>The Plumed Serpent, enjoying it so far

21(+-)
germany
The ego and its own
visionary, repetitive, harsh
Soon done and for me it was absolutely worth it, but I might be an exception here

>25
>Manhattan
>The Republic and Dubliners -- really enjoying Dubliners only have The Dead left which I'm really looking forward to... Have only read through Book I of Republic so far--wasn't crazy about it (particularly the exchange towards the end with Thrasymachus) but Book II seems more to my liking from the bit I've started.

22/Nova Scotia/ The Stranger

It's good.

18, Los Angeles, Metamorphoses

In general its bleak but it also describes romantic love in such a beautiful way... Just read it, its short

How do you like it? I hated Metamorphosis and dislike Kafka in general. Can't say he didn't have some serious literary contributions though.

Or do you mean the poem?

Same on the book. How far are you? Any stories that you particularly liked?

Just finished reading this today. It's really an enjoyable read, from its prose to originality. There were two or three stories that didn't interest me, though. However, I'd still recommend this to anyone interested in reading short stories. Salinger commands a distinguished voice with his writing. I plan on reading his other works before year's end.

19, South East England, Why Nations Fail, it is a lot longer than it needs to be but very interesting

Saint Charles, MO, US

pic related. it's decent but trying to decide if it's worth the 1,000 pages

just got the part where tom asks to marry ellen

>19
>Croatia
>finished "The Brothers Karamazov" 5 mins ago

>22
>Germany
>Infinite Jest; Steppenwolf; An Introduction to Aesthetics

Jest is such a bore. I'm 400 pages in and all the unnecessary drivel drowns out the brilliant novels that are shining though every so often. Those nuggets keep me going though. Steppenwolf reads like butter in comparison.
Just finished the Baumgarten section, moving on to Kant. Got nothing new out of it yet

Is it as hard as people make it out to be? Are you reading it for a course?

Stirners Prosa ist einschläfernd, habe nach 20 Seiten aufgegeben, werde es in Zukunft nochmal angehen. Liest du es wie ein Selbsthilfe-buch? Mit welcher Einstellung sollte ich das Werk angehen?

Croatia
Vojnović - Dubrovnik Trilogy (for school) and Moby Dick

Hej