/QTDDTOT/ - Questions that don't deserve their own thread

Hey Veeky Forums, so I've read republic, symposium, protagoras, phaedrus, ion, euthyphro, apologia, crito, meno, and phaedo. Are there any particularly essential works that I should read?

Also questions that don't deserve their own thread general.

Timaeus
Timaeus
Timaeus
Timaeus

(In the middle ages, this was considered the quintessential work of Plato, rather than Republic.)

Nonfiction that studies the relationship between Victorian Britons and their idea of Classical Antiquity?

I'd like to see how they reconciled with their idols being outed as rampant homosexuals and drunks as new discoveries where made in their lifetime.

Why is the KJV bible recommended so much on this board, when there is also such an anti-protestant/reformist attitude?

I want to become as good a songwriter as Townes Van Zandt one day. What should I do to accomplish that?

Listen to Michael Sugrue on Plato

thegreatcourses.com/courses/plato-socrates-and-the-dialogues.html

" Moby Dick is about a lot more than whales, and Socratic philosophy is about a lot more than a wise man walking around saying enigmatic, sometimes ironic things"

Plato, Socrates, and the Dialogues
Professor Michael Sugrue of Princeton

The dialogues share some general characteristics:

They are not a soliloquy, but rather a discussion.
They are not between equals (there is a teacher-student relationship).
Plato himself never speaks.
Each dialogue is a work of art, but all, taken together, constitute one huge artwork.
At the center of the form is irony.
The dialogues are very clearly intended to be a teaching tool.
Dr. Sugrue shows how each dialogue breathes with the feeling, the tension, and even the humor of great theater.

Essential Cicero? Also best editions. Also interested in his thoughts on the ideal orator.

There must be some way to slap yourself retarded.

The KJV version is the most influential version of the Bible. One recommends it for its importance in western literature, not necessarily for its theological attitudes or translation accuracy.

In the English language it's the most well known and historically most praised translation. That's the only reason.

Veeky Forums is currently a bastion of psuedo-Catholic reactionaries who would sooner pretend to adhere to beliefs they inherently reject, than to associate their real beliefs with those of lesser stature (ie Reddit).

How can we summer-proof Veeky Forums for the years to come?

I've said this before, two years ago I said we need to start learning Esperanto, and that Esperanto be the only language allowed to be used on the board. English users, along with anyone else would be banned.

Can you tell me why? (Not OP, but read most of Timaeus today) I'm not saying you're wrong, as the intro in my edition said the same thing, but I'm lacking in perspective: is it significant for its account of the creation of the universe/souls/gods/humans? Or for its depiction of the maker/craftsman/demiurge? Something else? Mind you I still have like 20 pages left; I just passed the re-conceptualization of the origin of the universe, this time accounting for Necessity, and the subsequent accounts of the formation of the elements.

Is there a genre of fiction that is ment to be read s non-fiction? If so what is it called?

why is there so much fucking in Pinecone's Rainbow?

Bump for this, pls respond

what are some things defined specifically as not something else and such that they do not include the word non- or any of its forms in the name itself.

so "nothingness" is "not existing" but the word nothing contains the word not, so it wouldn't count for my request.

Timaeus (a wild Pythagorean cosmology presented by a man who outright calls his mathematical account of the cosmos a "likely myth"), Gorgias (Socrates encounters the great rhetorician, a student of said rhetorician, and a would-be student who argues with Socrates in a shockingly violent way), Sophist-Statesman (Socrates on the day of his trial listens to a conversation between a student of Parmenides's thought and some of the people present for the Theaetetus; the student, called the "Stranger," offers a bizarre and disquieting account of both sophistry and statesmanship), Parmenides (Socrates as a young man encounters the great philosopher and his budding conception of the Forms is refuted at the beginning of his philosophical career; suddenly the rest of the dialogue turns into obscure exercises in hypothesis testing between Parmenides and a future tyrant).

Dry means not wet.

I'm not the poster you're asking, but I can offer the following:

1) For a while during the middle ages, this was the work of Plato that the West was familiar with. Its influence on theology and physics was pretty significant.

2) The work is a important resource for Pythagorean teachings and beliefs.

3) At least within Plato's own work, it puts forward the idea that a mathematical-causal account of the cosmos might just be mythic, instead of a real account of Being, with perhaps the suggestion that the most comprehensive accounts of the Whole are myths, while truer accounts might also be fundamentally partial.

Yes, it was the similarity between the Christian doctrine of creation by an intelligence, and the Platonic image of an immaterial artificer designing the universe in imitation of the Ideas, that especially attracted medieval (and ancient, for that matter) Christians.

I'm looking for something that could be called "A History of Defensive Architecture". CPTED, hostile architecture. modern military forts, field fortification, hesco, organic arch, found arch. Things like that but in a book all at once.

GODDAMN CHINKS BE FUCKING UP PEOPLE JUST TRYING TO SLEEP ON THE MEDIAN.

Timaeus serves as a rational construction of a cosmogony, which is something unique in the ancient world. Cf with the Enuma Elis and Genesis. Also it was considered at least a rational hypothesis for a millennia or so

Books that argue against social justice/political correctness that aren't written by edgy alt-righters?

I don't read much and am interested in reading The Phenomenology of Spirit by Hegel. Are there any "pre reqs" I should get into in order to help me understand Hegel?

Maybe Hegel's "Philosophical Propaedeutic"? The big problem generally with reading Hegel without an introduction is that he makes very good sense if you've read Plato, Aristotle, the Bible, the Stoics, Descartes, Spinoza, Leibniz, Hume, Rousseau, and Kant; students of Great Books schools where those authors are required have a legitimate advantage in that regard. But for anyone with a passing interest, or who'd just like to dive in, it'll certainly seem hard-going. The above-mentioned propaedeutic was his own system meant to introduce students to philosophy. Subsequently, you could maybe look at his lecture course on the History of Philosophy, and his Encyclopedia of the Philosophic Sciences for a summary of his system. Otherwise, if you're more interested in the Phenomenology in itself, an introduction is indispensable, since reading basically all philosophy prior to Hegel let alone just the major writings isn't feasible for many people. Check the lit archive for a MEGA file with a bunch of resources on Hegel.

Are there any recommended pre-requisites for, or routes into, Shakespeare? I'd like to begin reading his work but I've very little experience reading plays, and I'm worried that this combined with the somewhat archaic language will be a troublesome barrier.

>Listen to Michael Sugrue on Plato
Not OP but these lectures look great. Thanks for the recommendation. Any other highly regarded audio lectures on philosophy out there? Are all of the series on thegreatcourses.com as well received?

I've decided that I want to learn Spanish so I can read Borges, Márquez, Cervantes, Bolaño, Rulfo, Llosa, Fernández, etc. so I can see for myself what all the fuss is about and I couldn't live with myself if I read translations of those authors.

Where should I start with Spanish ? I already have some basic knowledge of it and a bit of experience with French. Is there any recommended process if I want to learn it for purely literary applications ?

It's like reading a book that is straight dialogue. The language isn't that hard and most editions have annotations for the archaic words. Most also have a pleb scene by scene overview.
So it's pretty easy, just grab a play you're interested in and start reading.

Isn't Parmenides a diss for Aristotle?

Okay, thanks. I think I'm going to give Hamlet or Macbeth a try. The OUP Shakespeare volumes appear to have ample annotations so I'll probably go for those.

I'm currently starting with the Greeks and reading Mythology by Edith Hamilton. My question is, should I read the part about the Trojan War if I'm planning on reading ''The Trojan War: A New History'' by Barry Strauss?

Honestly I'd just use Hamilton's mythology as a reference and not read it all the way through.
I'm sure the history book will have a completely different take than the mythology book though.

>ctrl+f
> "faidros"
> no faidros
> mfw

hamlet a masterpiece

I've said this before, two years ago I said we need to start learning Arabic, and that Arabic be the only language allowed to be used on the board. English users, along with anyone else would be banned.

zizek mentions this in his books and vids. not the books which are theory and more philosophical though

It's recommended if you're reading for literary/cultural reasons, not as much if you're reading for legitimate religious ones.

Why am I me rather than my own mother who birthed me?

Because you are

That's what Phædrus is you fucking weeb

>Because you are
I predicted this answer but I'm not satisfied.

What philosophy describes why I'm me rather than Christopher Tolkien's father's corpse?

Is the entire causal chain enough? Or are you looking for a theory of individual identity?

I don't feel real. I'm just occupying a body for a brief moment, but the body is meaningless, only the thoughts have meaning.

You might be interested in Buddhist ontology. The self is merely a collection of five continuously changing elements.

"Being" is an experience, not an objective state.

Pretending to be religious is way more fun than being religious ever was.

I started with the Greeks without it. I actually found a massive illustrated Greek and Roman mythology "coffee table" book that has art and sculptures of the people/creatures along with their story. It's pretty awesome only $1 from thrift shop too

It's aight. Move is good. I think it's meant to be watched unless you are studying it

Idk man watch vsauce's vid about is anything real, although i know me is me by heart bc it's like innate or something i don't know man i'm a retard

hell yes, being an apostate in reverence is the most patrish way of living

that feel when listening to the latin mass and taking communion, feeling a nostalgia, tinted now by anthropology, to which you know you can never return

forsaking by god and feeling forsaken by him is sublime

Laws, Sophist, Timaeus, Statesman, Theatetus,

No one fucking understands the Phenomenology

NO ONE

NO

ONE

that's not a question

What's a good version if you want to do both?

Any specific translations recommended for works of Tolstoy? Any editions that are particularly shitty?

Ironic-Catholicism will still land you in purgatory.

If I want to start with Soren Kierkegaard should I read Either/Or or Fear and Trembling?

Not him, but also can I read Kierkegaard without much of a background in philosophy? I've read the greeks, but I'd like to jump into Kierkegaard without having to read every last person who influenced him.

Fear and Trembling or the seducers diary which is part of either/or

Try harder

can someone post that image of the greeks reading order please?

I want to read Arabian Nights / 1001 Nights, but I have no idea which version I should get.

I was thinking of getting the Penguin complete 3 volume version but I read that the stories get very repetitive and you're better off getting an abridged version with the just the best stories.

So any recommendations?

At the risk of being accused of pseudo-Christianity myself,
>implying fun is the point of religion

>They are not a soliloquy, but rather a discussion
Mostly discussions in which one person talks and the other keeps saying, "I agree totally, Socrates"

I started with Either/Or in high school, and it's what got me hooked into philosophy. Either is good, though Fear and Trembling has some difficulties that I'll note in addressing :

Not all of Kierkegaard comes off this way, but certainly Fear and Trembling culminates in a set of chapters addressing Hegelian philosophy, and those passages can be pretty damn confusing if you're not familiar with Hegel. But again, this isn't true of all of Kierkegaard's work.

No, I was implying actually being religious is not as fun as pretending to be. I get that having fun is not the point.

not that guy, but pretending to be religious is slowly making me religious. it's like an existential process being meme-fied, y'know like ironically then unironically being so i guess some call it post-irony or something whatever

It really depends on your interests. After you've gone through the tetrad of dialogues around his death and Meno, you can probably go anywhere. You can go to his more metaphysical works with Parmenides and Timaeus. There's also his operatic works where he deals with defining something such as Laches, Sophist, and Statesman. Theaetetus is one that deals with epistemology. There's his political philosophy works with Gorgias and Laws. Finally, you have his works that deal with love and friendship such as Symposium with Lysis and Phaedrus.

To expand on what the other user said, Timaeus is extremely influential to future schools of philosophy such as Neoplatonism, which I think that most people who are interested in Ancient Philosophy know has a large influence in Christian thought thanks to early Christian mystical thinkers. It's extremely useful when you will eventually go into Christian philosophy (as well as having good grips around Aristotle).

>pretending to be religious is slowly making me religious
I think that's just irony, no?

But seriously, Tolstoy recommendations anyone?

it is rather ironic, i agree. it went over my head. i guess i meant my stance is going from ironically being religious to unironically being so.
I didn't notice you were asking for tolstoy recommendation. since we're at this topic, read his "A Confession", it is related. If you meant a general recommendation: I only read some of his short stories and they were rather enjoyable, death of ivan ilyich is good

Any tips on how to read more? I can probably go through 20 pages max in a day and anything more burns me out no matter how interesting it is.

Does it have anything to do with 1984 or is that just a dumb reference?