Yugoslav literary canon

I speak Serbian (diaspora), but am ashamed to admit that I've never read anything by a Serb/Croat/etc. What do you guys consider the serbocroatian literary canon? I have honestly never heard of anyone but Andric. What are your recommendations?

pic related, my mom's face when she realized she raised the world's worst Serb

Other urls found in this thread:

lektire.skole.hr/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hazarski rečnik, senpai

>serbocroatian
Fuck off with this meme

Regarding the "Croatian" part, Matoš, Ujević, Krleža and Marinković are probably the best known, so read those.

>meme
Those two '''''languages''''' differ as much as British and American English do.

>Serb/Croat/etc
lol

They differ far more and the differentiation will continue as the process of becoming more similar has ended for now.
Still, as far as literary traditions go, they have almost nothing in common. It's about as accurate as confusing Canadian and Australian literature.
It's very sad that an author who is far from the best got the Nobel and not someone like Aralica or Marinkovic.

I dont care or know about him, I just enjoyed the novel immensely. It may have even been the translator.

I don't think it's a bad novel or that there's any problem with it, outside it getting all the attention comparatively to other writers mainly because of political reasons.
He was a Croat, but couldn't break through in his 20s and decided to become a Yugoslav/Serb and hence got a lot of exposition.
The problem is of course also that culture hasn't gotten much attention and there's no project of promoting other authors (Drzic and Gundulic are worthy of being mentioned whenever Shakespeare and Dante are).
Ministry of Culture is mostly interested in shit like gay rights and freedom of speech (read money for lgbt projects) so there hasn't been a simple project of translating the two into English/German/Italian/Spanish/Russian and publishing it online and giving copies to libraries.
I often tried looking because posters from lit skype groups are often interested, but I can't find anything outside of Brlic Mazuranic who is similar to Hans Chriatian Andersen or Grim Brothers, but coming from a different culture and taking different myths as inspiration.

Time to get going on your translation

It's work for a professional, I don't think my English is good enough. But maybe one day, it would be interesting.

It sounds like a fun project and if it went anywhere you could always submit to english editors or young balkans studies scholars for editing or something.

I wish I was a polyglot.

t. either Serb or Croat desperately trying to be special

This looks kind of interesting, I'll check it out, thank you.

butthurt fag that clearly doesn't speak the language

I will check them out, thank you!

Yes, I've heard of this. Think it's prob the most famous serbian book. Should I jump in and read it, or is there other stuff by him I should read first?

I will look into Drzic and Gundulic, but based on that description Mazuranic also sounds great and maybe more appropriate for someone as entry tier with regards to the myths/culture as me.

Obviously Vasko Popa.

Odjebi, sinko.

Mažuranić made up her stories, she's in this regard more similar to Tolkien (making up quasi-folklore stories) than to Grimm (who only retold stories). However, her stories are short, unconnected and thematically far less grand and ambitious, so she certainly can remind you of Grimm.
And don't be surprised if Držić and Gundulić turn out difficult. I can today read them quite well, but the first time I read Držić I understood absurdly little. And I dropped the first Gundulić I had to read ("Suze") altogether.
By the way, if you use ebooks, you can find a lot of Croatian works here: lektire.skole.hr/ (technically it's for schoolkids but anyone can make an account and download them).

Do you mean hard in an intellectual sense or in the sense of the actual language used?

I am only diaspora, so I'm the first to admit my vocabulary is not that great, but that's another reason I want to try to start reading in the original. Mazuranic sounds perfect for me.

Thanks for the link!

>Do you mean hard in an intellectual sense or in the sense of the actual language used?
Both. Language is very archaic. You can understand it when you grow up because you have a motivation, but not at the age of 16.

not 16. I'll work on my vocab though first, thanks.

You can go through it at the age, but you just don't have the necessary motivation.
A vocabulary usually comes with most editions.

When it comes to Držić, vocabulary is the only problem. Gundulić gets quite philosophical sometimes, so he's more difficult. That's why I dropped Suze when I was 16, even though I had previously read Dundo Maroje by Držić and enjoyed it.

cetnik bandit scum

Honestly, Andric is really the only good one. Senoa and whatever is just too archaic and boring. Krleza is massively, massively overrated and just a faggot in general.
"U registraturi" is also a pretty good book.
Kapor is not all that literary, but some of his books are fine. "Od sedam do tri" is very good.

>Andrić good
>Krleža overrated

What

Oh yeah, and Marinkovic, I guess. I read his short stories, they were hit and miss. What's good is good, what's bad is pretty shitty.

>Should I jump in and read it, or is there other stuff by him I should read first?
It's kinda dry, "Prokleta avlija", the short novel, is perhaps a better starting point. However, I started with The Bridge, and, once you get accustomed to the language, it's p. good.

The age remark was because you have to read a lot of these authors at school, but the language and themes are archaic and not very interesting to a schoolkid. Which is why most people skip reading them.

>Andric better than Senoa
What a fucking pleb

ah, I understand, thanks

okay, I already own bridge, so I guess I'll just start there out of convenience then!

>Andric is really the only good one
>U registraturi
>pretty good
>Krleža is a faggot

kys

stay salty

>let's post some edgy contrarian onions
>you are salty if you disagree
Yeah... Take this shit back to /mu/ and /tv/.

you have to admit though, you're overhyping Krleza as fuck, and Andric is the best of the entire geographic region, no matter what (part of the) balkan shithole in particular we observe

stay salty, Croat nationalist shill

Houses/ Houses of Belgrade by Borislav Pekic

Andric is worse than just about any big name in Croatian lit, be it Gundulic, Marulic, Drzic, Krleza, Matos, Senoa, Zrinski etc.