Is there any hope for the underground man?

Is there any hope for the underground man?

No because hope is a delusion and he's smarter than that. It's just ridiculous idiocy others participate in. Why are you so blind?

Hope to get him to comply with the machine and be happy because being happy is rational?

That's not a hope he wants.

*tips Fedora*

gotta agree with the post above me, these two posts are turbo-fedora

They were ironic responses as this is how the underground man would respond. The answer was implied between the lines.

no. the point of the character is that his head is up his ass. The first half of the book is an essay-like monologue of his personal philosophy. It is well-thought and well-written, thorough, and spoken with confidence.
Then the second half comes in and we see the Underground Man in action and he's a complete flop. We are to understand that his initial philosophy is actually a psychological fabrication to justify his ineptitude, dressing it up as purposeful intellect. This is most clear in the scene with the prostitute.
He makes some good points and much of his sentiments contain elements of truth, but it's all a farce.
He is a shell of intelligence wrapped around a core of self-depreciation

The Underground Man WOULD wear a fedora if he were alive today, so this is a silly point. He's wear just to spite you, he'd wear it just because it's irrational and cringe-worthy, and it's so unreasonable to be irrational and cringe-worthy intentionally, those who do so of course just don't know what's good for them. He'd say, "I don't want what's good for me, because I want the pleasure of being able to decide to do what's not good for me."

Good post, I like you.

Good post.
Same here. If he were a girl, I'd suck her cock.

Ok op here. Second question: how the fuck do I stop being like him. I related to the guy more than I'd like.

The guy is not some example of "do not be this". The guy is comical and inept and autistic, but the work isn't about saying, "These sorts of people are autistic." The work is actually a rebuttal to utilitarianism and communism by being a portrait of the unquantifiable man.

Is this worth reading?

"Merciful Heavens! but what do I care for the laws of nature and arithmetic, when, for some reason I dislike those laws and the fact that twice two makes four? Of course I cannot break through the wall by battering my head against it if I really have not the strength to knock it down, but I am not going to be reconciled to it simply because it is a stone wall and I have not the strength."

Always stuck with me for some reason

Just read My twisted world, pretty much the same thing desu.

The underground man has the ideal life, why would you want to change it

He's bitter and alone. Spent his life hating himself. Definitely not an example to be.

Dishonesty and no satisfaction right?

>spooks and spooks, right

I wouldn't like that existence much at all

Stay spooked my property

ok, really, I had enough of this fking meme on this board, why is the guy who drove himself to killing a bunch of people is such a reoccurring analogy in this board? Is he the embodiment of an average Veeky Forumsizen, full of despair and angst towards others? fucking pathetic, jesus christ

sorry, it was meant to be a reply to

Wait what's the context?

Elliot rodger and the underground man both are opposite halves of the average /r9k/ poster and theres a lot of crossingposting

Are there any Veeky Forums boards without memes?

at least Veeky Forums has some quality ones.

>without memes
why are you even here
nice dubs btw

Thanks nig