What was the last book you gave up on and why? Pic related, I got a hundred pages in before I stopped...

What was the last book you gave up on and why? Pic related, I got a hundred pages in before I stopped. It's super boring and I really don't care about any of the characters.

Love in a Time of Cholera by Garcia Marquez. Its not even bad, just wasnt "in the mood" for that kind of story. might revisit it

Before that it was Closing Time by Joseph Heller. I was expecting Catch 22 Part 2:Electric Boogaloo, but the first ~100 pages are just boring as fuck.

because it sucks. overhyped trash, got to the part with the mental hospital, and having experienced 6 of them from the perspective of a patient first hand, it filled me with such disgust that i had to set the book down and I simply never went back. It wasn't difficult or beautifully written, and the endnotes seemed very for lack of a better word "tryhardy". It's a shame there wasn't any discernible talent.

regarding stranger in a strange land, I read it as a kid, thought it was the greatest thing ever, grew up, went back and read it again, couldn't see what i saw in it as a kid. Some things might just be for people at a certain time of their lives.

maybe it was just the loads of nudity.

I only got about 60 pages into IJ before I stopped. I might come back for the meme points later.

>likes catch 22

welcome to literally every Heinlein book. Shitty author.

Some of his other stuff is pretty good.

I have never finished that fucking book.

is the abridged version, the original printed one, better?

Yeah, couldn't finish this one either. Heinlein is a goddamn sexist.

Stopping in thread specifically to call you a faggot.

Catch-22 is gold.

I like it too, I just said that for the memes.

The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress is great, though.

bump

>If I use every single trope I can think of and call it satire it'll be funny

Page after page of blatant tech and cyberpunk tropes. It was fucking tedious and boring.

I read the Alchemist by Coelho and it had a profound effect on me, it helped jump start my interest in literature. Went back to read it several years later and I couldn't believe I ever loved it.

Which

Savage Detectives, though I eventually started it again and managed to finish it.

I'm not sure if I'd even call it boring, BolaƱo actually does some interesting stuff with it, but 700 pages of the details of dreary banal failed lives is just hard to get through.

the same happen to me with Something Happened.
Holy fuck 600 pages of that? i just read 100

Did you read 2666?

Nope, started with Detectives.

Similar story here.Got pretty heavy into reading just a few years back in college. Read a bunch of urban fantasy since I started with Dresden Files, with Hot Lead, Cold Steel being one of my initial favorites since I like fairies.

When I got around to getting the second book a few months ago, I couldn't finish it. I don't know how I didn't notice it in the first one, but the modern sentence structure and word choice clashes HARD with the forced use of prohibition era slang. It's like he wrote a book set in modern times and then just hit "find and replace" with words he happened to know slang for. Not only that, but at the beginning, he was one step away from literally putting in the "*Record scratch* Bet you're wondering how I got here" thing.

You just didn't grok it

A confederacy of dunces

I wanted something to make me laugh and cheer me up not my own biography

I disagree

>be moon people
>want to be libertarians for some reason
>have an AI that loves you for no reason
>AI is an overpowered god that wins all wars for you
>end of book
>isn't libertarianism great?

Heinlein could not write a treatise for one of his shitty ideas (in this case: libertarianism) without giving that idea invincible powers, he was the laziest thinker

Once you realize that Mike is Jesus, you know exactly how the rest of the book is going to play out.