>hop on the latest lit meme
>preorder book
>it's bigger than a computer
>1500 pages of pic related

W E W L A D

Other urls found in this thread:

theuntranslated.wordpress.com/2015/07/25/reading-zettels-traum-week-1-pp-11-20/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

if you don't like to read you shouldn't have bought a book.

shuddap troll.

Is this Jerusalem? Looks pretty crazy.

The fuck is it?

I am not well-versed with Veeky Forums memes.

negative friend its ZETTELSTRAUM

how the fuck did they translate this from german

Yeah I'm going to go ahead and say it - you got memed hard.

Looks like the ravings of a lunatic.

Really makes you think...

I would learn German just to read that. Looks amazing.

S h e e p

Zettel's traum can only be read in german. And it's definitely a meme. If you are into puzzles or just want to observe what can be done with language it is very interesting, but that's really all it offers.

sounds good to me desu

I just started learning German. How long till I can read Adorno?

Quite some time. A long time, i would guess. Even for germans his writing is hard to read.

I read Kafka and I love it but then I realize there are some books like this and Ulysses that just aren't enjoyable to me. I really don't know how people can find books that intentionally try hard to be confusing enjoyable.

zettels traum is not to be compared with ulysses to be honest

Because solving problems is often enjoyable? It's like not getting why people enjoy maths.

consider how good your english must be to read FW, that is how good your german must be to read ZT. caveat: ZT does not make as many inter-lingual puns and jokes at FW, and i always found it easier to read even though german is my 2nd language and english is my 1st.

with annotations you can read anything ;)

also, ZT is much more translatable than FW.

Does all the punctuation nonsense actually represent anything? Or it is all just lolsorandum bullshit that just happen to resemble primordial emoticons?

>MUUHHH!
what did he mean by this ?

Looks like someone banged on their phone then used autocorrect.

the memes are real

This is the most embarrassing vindication of the ">translations" meme. You all went out and bought the Finnegans Wake of German, a book that is almost entirely wordplay and aconceptual poetry that manipulates the language. Think about this next time you laugh about Finnegans Wake being a best seller in China.

>translating a book that literally depends on the German-English duality
You goddamn pseuds deserved this bullshit.

is that annotated then, or the original?

the original

origina
lAs a german, I can sincerely just advice Veeky Forums to stay away from this thing. I won't pretend I'm so above it or that I've spend the time needed to dig through ZT but what I've read are just cheap jokes sold as high art, it doesn't merit that much attention.

good enough for John woods good enough for me

Woods is a madman. He obviously just does this for fun

>John the absolute madman
>John E. Woods
>Pic related is John Woods while translating ZETTELSTRAUM

JUST

Unironically, John Woods is insane. I saw him at a grocery store in Berlin yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person and congratulated him on Zettels Traum last weekend, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen snickers in his hands without paying. The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be busy and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the snickers and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any Anglo 'interference',” and then turned around and winked at me. After she scanned each candy bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by reciting Buddenbrooks really loudly.

Ugggg

>just cheap jokes sold as high art, it doesn't merit that much attention.
that's true for a lot of Schmidt's other works, too, btw

>Muh Muh
>Moo Moo
>MUUHH!!

I fucking hate you Veeky Forums

I realize it may take a while to study or discern, but can any one of you understand what is written on this page? what the heck is going on?

>Finnegans Wake
>best seller isn China

HAHA Holy shit it's true

theuntranslated.wordpress.com/2015/07/25/reading-zettels-traum-week-1-pp-11-20/

If he can, anyone can.

jesus

its a sensationalized title. selling a few thousand copies in a country of 1.3 billion people is hardly a "best seller" in the way you're thinking of

>You all went out and bought the Finnegans Wake of German
No, I didn't.

I half bought it because I know it be worth a lot more money in a few years.

post more pics.

here's one before i unwrapped it for a size comparison. it's huge and heavy desu

don't have other pics atm not home