Moore asked what he's currently reading

>"two or three books of essays — “Consider the Lobster,” “A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again” and “Both Flesh and Not” — by my recent infatuation, the late David Foster Wallace, whom I’m currently gorging on indiscriminately in a manner that I’m told betrays my standing as a poorly disciplined autodidact. I’ll try not to burden this volley of questions and answers with too many mentions of David Foster Wallace."

nytimes.com/2016/09/11/books/review/alan-moore-by-the-book.html

Is he, dare I say it, our guy?

Other urls found in this thread:

capnwacky.com/rj/watchmen.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is the third thread in the upper half of the catalog about Moore digging DFW.

his book comes out in 4 days...

whose getting it launch day

im hyped

Holding out for Christmas personally, though I did enter that shitty giveaway on Goodreads

O-oops

If Jerusalem ends up being a classic will Moore have a solidified place in the canon?

I think he already does...Watchmen is arguably the most influential comic book of all time...it completely revolutionized the industry

I know he has a place in the comics canon, that's inarguable (he's probably the greatest writer-only the western side of the medium has ever seen), I meant in the "proper" literary canon. Comics still aren't taken that seriously by quite a few academics.

From what i have heard..Jerusalem looks like its going to be a masterpiece

>Watchmen
>even approaching the heights of Joyce, Shakespeare, and Woolf

No one who actually reads good books can believe this.

I read the Watchman and it entertained me, but to think some edgelord hurr durr is humanity even worth it plotfest is comparable to the formal and philosophical complexities of actual works of literature is what you expect to hear from the dumbest most insufferable prick in your intro to English studies class.

Plot and character development is only part of what makes Watchmen great. The use of panel to panel imagery is what makes Watchmen the classic that it is and to suggest otherwise to is to ignore what makes the comics medium what it is. I agree with you to a certain extent that it doesn't match the works of Shakespeare or Joyce but at the same time it's working within a very different medium.

next your going to say 2001: a Space Odyssey is a good movie, but it doesn't reach the philosophical heights of Dhalgren...so therefore its trash

different mediums bro

James Joyce is trash..all he did was copy The Odyssey and throw a bunch of allusions in there

It could be much more in-depth but here's a fairly nice annotation of Watchmen:

capnwacky.com/rj/watchmen.html
m8 now you're looking like the prick user was talking about.

Read Dhalgren...most critics consider it to be a superior work to Ulysses

Hardcover or slipcase edition?

Weird. you don't consider the fact that "Shakespeare and Joyce" also worked in different mediums but know instinctively they deserve to be compared...

There is an intellectual level that artists like Joyce and Shakespeare and Picasso worked on that guarantee them a place in whatever the Western Canon is.

The cartoons that go along with the dialogue in Moore's comic book do not exist within the same dimension. It's entertaining. An enjoyable consumer product. That's all.

Kubrick is a greater artist than Delany, yes.

AHAHAHAHAHA

Im saying Dhalgren is a greater book than Ulysses

I'm saying that's a forced meme.

>Weird. you don't consider the fact that "Shakespeare and Joyce" also worked in different mediums but know instinctively they deserve to be compared...
You were the one who brought them up and I continued the discussion with the figures you mentioned. I was going to bring up how Mozart wrote lyrics for some of his pieces but they since they weren't meant to be read on a page the same way Blake or Rimbaud are, they shouldn't be compared in the same way.

The cartoons do not "go along" with Moore's dialogue, they're as important to the story as the dialogue, arguably more so at times.

well do you agree?

what

well obviously
>his medium is the essential "I only read books with pictures"
>takes drugs
>le epic anarchist intellectual
>made great legion maymay mask
Veeky Forums as fuck

Who gives a shit about academia? If he's still around in 50 years, he's canon, simple as that.
The academia is a leftist shithole which cares more about postmodern African writers than about Moore or Wolfe or whoever is deserving of assessment.

Alan Moore is pretentious edgy hack who would smugly drink his own piss if it had the chance to piss off Margret Thatcher's ghost.

It's good to know the /r9k/ crossover on Veeky Forums also has terrible taste.

>Wolfe

Fucking lol. Drop the e, add an o. Then we'll talk about literature.

sadly...this is true

the dude is arguably the greatest comic writer of all time..

Veeky Forums really has a sort of elitist smug to it

- hates all genre fiction
- thinks comics is a childish inferior medium

Tell me which is the arbitrary line for something to become literature for you, enlightened one?

dont bother

lit elite smug that guy is

Moore is shit.

> Watchmen
Garbage rip-off of parts of Gravity's Rainbow.
> From Hell
Pretentious shit. Doesn't even have the balls to really commit to a theory.

Jerusalem will be overrated by every type of useful idiot Pitchfork-writer critic.

He's asking you if you think Dhalgren is better than Ulysses.

Why are you on Veeky Forums with such poor reading comprehension?

I am :), I'm hyped not gonna lie. People can hate all they want but this looks to be the most interesting book to come out this year (save for The Nix if it actually lives up to the hype and Bottom's Dream). It has potential to be so great.

kill urself kid

No, that's Grant Morrison you're thinking of

There is a thread up right now about how great Moomin is, so it could be that Veeky Forums is just tired of faggots from tv tropes getting pissy because comic books simply haven't done as much as literature, not that Veeky Forums hates comics in their entirety.

What's the source on this

>solidified

>filename.exe

St. Swithin's Day, it was a "partly autobiographical" one-shot from '89

But comics are an inferior medium.
You can have excuses like age and audience being mostly mongoloids, but the best comic is compatible to a decent novel at best in terms of story, writing, characters etc.

Technically speaking they are a more modern medium than literature so its understandable that they haven't reached the level of maturity that say the novel has. That being said have you seen what people have been doing with graphic novels? Because some people are doing very interesting things. I'm personally a big fan of Jim wooding and his Frank comics, they are completely without dialogue and explore various philosophical and biblical themes. I don't believe his work could be created in the novel format.
Pic related.

No, Grant Morrison would give an interview about it and make two of his punk self-inserts do it in separate comic series, then grow old and commission a seance to kiss Thatcher's ecoplasmic rectum

>There is a thread up right now about how great Moomin is, so it could be that Veeky Forums is just tired of faggots from tv tropes getting pissy because comic books simply haven't done as much as literature, not that Veeky Forums hates comics in their entirety.
Moomins is not only literature it's also always been liked by Veeky Forums. It's like elite Pippi Långstrump.

I'd just like to read the part about Joyce's daughter

>inferior medium
when will this meme die?

When it finally produces a work of art as great as the greats of literature. Pretty simple.

Jerusalem confirmed for surpassing even the likes of Dhalgren (which has already surpassed Ulysses)

Not that user but I bet you don't know shit about comics and would probably criticize Prince Valiant for its cliched story.

never, because it's not a meme
why aren't all these retards on /co/ or /a/?

comcis and animation are seen as childrens mediums because they are marketed to children.
You take away the marketing and they are just new forms of art in which to convey stories.
Why do cartoons always have to be comedies or aimed towards kids?
The Japanese know better, anime can be mature, it can be childish, it can be deep, it can be stupid.
In america you get the simpsons or tom and jerry.

I used to read comics when i as younger but in its current form of hyper commodity aimed at liberal shitheads im not interested in it.
American comics themselves used to explore regular people and different genres but it got wittled down to just capeshit after the comics code.
Smart, or interesting comics had to go underground or find obscure publishers that werent marvel or DC.

But I love Prince Valiant.
The fact that they are as a whole inferior to literature doesn't mean there aren't any nice comics out there.

Plebs and manchildren of both stripes, please quit shitting up Moore threads with your spooky misconceptions, resp. insecurities, as to comic books - this is a literature board

AND INTO THE TRASH HE GOES

>story, writing, characters etc.
Only one half of what makes a comic a comic.

And yet the most crucial parts.

To someone who doesn't have an understanding of the medium.

Comics haven't really been marketed to children in over a quarter century. They still have the perception of being for kids but the people who buy comics nowadays are more likely to be between 18 and 30 than a kid.

I'm probably one of the youngest guys who regularly shops at my LCS and I'm 23

I love Moore but these shill threads are becoming an annoyance

To everyone who understands its crucial to any form of storytelling.
No pretty pictures can make a bad story a good one.

You wouldn't be saying the same thing about a film, which has much more in common with a comic than a novel does and there's more to the work then just the story it's presenting.

also
>when it's a medium that Veeky Forums doesn't like Veeky Forums suddenly reads for the plot instead of how the plot is told

Which good movie has a shitty plot, bad characters, awful dialogue etc?

Which good comic has all of those elements? All or most of them isn't an answer.

That's because all comics are shit mate

You seem to understand story and writing in terms of "muh plot".

How is story and writing different from plot?

Why do you retards keep feeding

Because comic fans are pretty thick

I don't even like comics but Alan is muh homeboy dawg.

cringe post

isnt it a red flag that he hasnt read wallace yet?

better late than never

THIS OR BOTTOM'S DREAM (ZETTELS TRAUM)

WHICH ONE DO I SPEND MY DOLLARIDOOS ON?

>a poorly disciplined autodidact

Boy does he think he's 'unique'. Fucking insufferable considering his picks are college freshman level Veeky Forums level.

Oh awesome. His only other novel, Voice of the Fire, was one of the best things I've ever read. I'll definitely be down for this.

This

Get the fuck out and read about literature before you fill this already shitty board with your ignorant shitposts.
You claim to know about what makes literature so great yet it is clear you have no idea, thinking story is the most important aspect of it. Protip: it isn't, and neither it is of film.

What's wrong with that description? It's totally humble and honest. I'm sure he knows a lot of other people are also lazy/poorly disciplined autodidacts, like you for example.

>being this humanities-american

I ordered both, I will return one.

Underrated.

Honestly I'm disappointed that he likes dfw

He obviously disagrees ya nincompoop

Actually you're the only one, and you keep creating those threads following the principle that a lie told a thousand times becomes truth

You don't understand contrarians and 'hipsters' in the modern age.

>> Watchmen
>Garbage rip-off of parts of Gravity's Rainbow.
explain

wtf? rip off of GR

If anybody on this planet gave two tugs of a dead dogs cock for truth, none of this would be happening.

>Bearing in mind that it’s been almost a decade since I commenced work on “Jerusalem,” I’d have to say that I read very little fiction while I was writing it. I think I read Mike Moorcock’s “The Vengeance of Rome
>I also read a whole stack of books by Slavoj Zizek, like “The Year of Dreaming Dangerously” and “Living in the End Times,”
Absolutely_Patrician.jpg

I've already decided I'm gonna preorder it. Which should I get the hardcover or paperback set?

Which are you getting Veeky Forums?

Don't know, why don't you ask in the other thread?

hehe ebin! :^)

I am so hyped by all this shitposting i gonna buy physical Watchmen. Shame comic books are so fucking expensive

>"two or three books of essays — “Consider the Lobster,” “A Supposedly Fun Thing I’ll Never Do Again” and “Both Flesh and Not” — by my recent infatuation, the late David Foster Wallace, whom I’m currently gorging on indiscriminately in a manner that I’m told betrays my standing as a poorly disciplined autodidact. I’ll try not to burden this volley of questions and answers with too many mentions of David Foster Wallace."
Jesus Christ, who the fuck even talks like that?

Can we just be done with this meme intellectual? Thanks.

The more you complain, the more fuel you add to the meme ;^)

Dolor you mom pain, the morpheme you add to the lel D;

I'm getting it but giving it to my best friend for his birthday. It seems really up his alley, but also selfishly I want someone else to tackle it before I do (tfw painfully slow reader)

> David Foster Wallace

Why do you think we call him a meme author?