Must Reads

Top 5 books that everyone should read?

Bible
Meditations
Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man
Grapes of Wrath
Brothers K

Homer, Shakespeare and the King James Bible. Everything after that is subjective.

Moby-Dick
Gravitys Rainbow
Lolita
Ulysses
Finegans Wake

jk, this is my life long 'to read' list

Sodomy: Bottom or Top?

The God Delusion
Deathbed Conversions: Finding Faith at the Finish Line
The Confessions of Saint Augustine
The Holy Bible
City of God

none of these, just read the book i'm gonna drop in five years, you won't need to read anything else lmao

Slaughterhouse Five
A Farewell To Arms
The Call of the Wild
The Brothers Karamazov

The Making of Americans
Women and Men
Bottom's Dream
Dhalgren
The Man Without Qualities

Book 1: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Book 2: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Book 3: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Book 4: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Book 5: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Book 6: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
Book 7: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

Leaves of Grass
Brothers K
Fountainhead
Infinite Jest

Second post, best post.

saying "the whole KJV" is kind of retarded though. you can skip a lot of the minor prophets, a lot of the apocrypha, and large swaths throughout all the OT books.

1. 1984

You pick the other 4.

What order?

why are there so many 1984 suggestions?

The big test is next week.

The iliad
The bible
Complete works of Plato
Complete works of Aristotle
Ulysses

The Bible
Ride the Tiger
Lolita
Meditations
Critique of Pure Reason

The Iliad
The Bible
Hamlet
War and Peace
Ulysses

Because it's a great book?

Fuck off, dipshit.

The bible
Huck finn
Oddessy
Don quixote

Because it is scary. Its makes you think of all the tech we have today. How easy it would be for a government to track you. How many previous governments have had secret police. There are better books by far. But how much it makes you think, i never looked at government the same after that book.

>the bible

No one here is saying the bible for religious reasons. It's one of the most influential books from a literature standpoint.

>>>/
Work
Safe
Re
Quest

The Bible
Don Quixote
The Illiad
Macbeth
Hamlet

nice cop out mate, but homer and Shakespeare arent books

>one of

You should be studying instead of posting user. Teacher won't like it if you fail the test because you were shilling a meme

i'm sorry, i don't want to sound like a fucking douchebag, but how many books have you actually read? i just fail to understand how something like 1984 can impress someone by how much it makes you think.

Reddit-newfag influx.

you believe these things because you're fucking retarded. orwell simplified & popularized well-circulated ideas. good books, not great literature.

Dude I've read plenty it isn't about the how impressive the writing is. It's like a 10 grade level book. The question what books should everyone read. 1984 is one a great place to start because it isn't to complex and makes you wanna question government motives.

Sorry forgot you're supposed to start 4th graders with a war and peace

if you need mediocre fiction to start questioning government motives you are retarded and reading won't help

how does this relate to 4th graders, dimwit?

Dude when you're a kid in high school you don't think about that stuff all you think is how much smarter and better you are than everyone. Of course from an adult perspective that shit is obvious.

1. that russian pokemon book
2. kama sutra
3. the art of war
4. everybody poops
5. hamlet

Thread over found the best list.

The versions I have have both of their complete works in one book, so I would say it counts.

Also especially in the case of Shakespeare, you're retarded if you don't get a hardcover complete works edition, considering if you buy the plays separately it can run up hundreds of dollars.

>Bible
>King James Bible

>isn't to complex

>this picture of dennis was what came up when you googled "japan age of consent"
they changed it now, but that was funny

Thinking 1984 is a fiction novel and just that. How thick do you have to be to take the book at prima facia value and not place it within the realms of political philosophy. The fusion of fiction with political theory is the best aspect of 1984, and the political theory is by far the most important part of the book (principally the chapters given over to The Theory and Practice of Oligarchical Collectivism). To read it as solely a work of fiction is shallow and ignores not only the massive contextual importance of the book, but basic apprehension. Definitely one of the most important and apt works of the 20th century, an easy read sure, but I personally quite enjoy Orwell's simple usage.

But no yeah you're right its definitely not on that fucking list, I can think of a dozen more books suited to a top five. Its not even the best thing that Orwell produced.

A joke does not equate bait famalam

Dialectic of Enlightenment
The Wretched of the Earth
Pedagogy of the Oppressed
Discipline and Punish
The Holocaust Industry

>not buying individual editions

top pleb

>taking pictures of your bookshelf as if anyone cares what you own
>having multiple copies of the same book

Top autism.

>not having multiple copies of the same work

it's like you WANT people to know you're a pseud, user

I am.

It's entry-level politics, what are you talking about?

Yeah, thank liberalism for the idea that 1984 is some master piece, lol

Honestly? If I could pick 5 books I'd like everyone to have read knowing that the majority of people can't comprehend truly complex shit?

1. The Story of Philosophy by Will Durant
2. The Better Angels of Our Nature by Stephen Pinker
3. Wind Sand and Stars by Antoine Saint Exupery
4. The Art of Loving by Erich Fromm
5. Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce

>Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man
You really misunderstood it if you thought that it is a book about Christian salvation (as I think you do by looking at your other answers)