What book sparked your interest/passion/obsession with literature and philosophy?

what book sparked your interest/passion/obsession with literature and philosophy?

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/doc/40637689/Deathconsciousness-Booklet
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The Great Gatsby because it revealed to me how beautiful and creative an author can be with just words. Previously, I had thought that writing was a dull and uninspired profession.

Kafka's short-short fiction

nothing else like it in the world

Catcher in the Rye. I know, I'm a fucking pleb, but you don't understand. It was like an encyclopedia of human experience when I was a kid. Also Kierkegaard and Mishima. One was about the choices and the other was about style.

A pleb is someone whose choice is shaped and forced by outside factors instead of himself. You're not a pleb.

Blood meridian

The Kalevala

my gf loves it, i love kafka, and its the only thing of his havent read yet, which are the best, cause i got a lot of study materials and cant really read them all until october

I think forwards not backwards.

same

It's pretty awesome, I bought a book with the metamorphosis in it, and all his short and "short short" stories in it compiled.

To expand though, I stopped choosing books based on how interesting the plot synopsis sounded or how funny it was supposed to be.

Almost precisely one year ago I decided to read Crime and Punishment after not reading a book for 4 years. I've read about 30 books since then

And since then I also gained an appreciation for arts. I go watch plays now and gained an appreciation for classical music.

Philosophy: Sophie's World by Jostein Garder when I was 13.
Literature: Steinbeck and Vonnegut when I was 16

Go ahead and fight me.

The Greeks

>sparked your interest/passion/obsession with literature and philosophy?

I could only narrow it down to 5 books that sparked my interest with literature.

>6 books
fixed

Wasn't a specific book but a lack of books. I got out of high school and was no longer exposed to good literature. Kept picking up awful trashy books because I listened to reviews and people with low standards for books. Got extremely frustrated and came back to Veeky Forums. Voila, problem solved.

Reading the Tell Tale Heart by Poe in middle school did the trick.

I think first a friend convinced me to check out Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy which led me to read regularly after years of never doing so, then I went on to entry-level contemporary shit that still had a little more attention to theme and style like A Scanner Darkly, and then eventually I ended up reading Lolita which sparked a love for "real" literary and classic fiction.

A high school English teacher recommended a Prayer For Owen Meany for me when I wasn't that interested in books. I look back and realize certain pleb qualities, but it got me interested in reading more critically and making real-world connections with text. Also helped me learn more about the concept of faith and literature which is mostly what I study/read about now

That's not a book.

The Picture of Dorian Gray.

Made me appreciate style rather than solely story.

scribd.com/doc/40637689/Deathconsciousness-Booklet

Oh ok. Looks interesting, I might give it a read.

Dubliners was the first book with literary merit that I read of my own will, and that book you posted is the second, but I think the book that led to my discovery of the immense enjoyment that can result from literature is this one.

Wrong

>getting the metamorphoses and other stories
>not getting the complete stories
Why ?

what's the best translation?

I don't know. The one I posted seems fine, but I haven't compared it to the original German version.

The Stranger, I could empathize with Meursault's completely apathy.

why is it transliterated as dostoevskij in italian
why is the j there

underrated
v ironic gg

No Longer Human

The Hardy Boys The Tower Treasure
by Franklin W. Dixon.

A number of books I had to read in high school: A Prayer for Owen Meany, Fahrenheit 451, The Merchant of Venice, Julius Caesar, Hamlet.
It was more my lit teacher who showed me all that books could be. Thank you Mr. Feyk.

>30 books

wew lad, u r just such a REEL READER

The Things They Carried, tbhfam.

>humping
>mfw we read that in freshman year of high school

My mum made me read Shakespeare when I was ten. The first few times it just flew right past me because I was ten. But after a while I got to grips with it and that felt good, so I started reading.

I've never really liked philosophy.

Not his longer fiction?