Going to portland this weekend. What should I buy from this place?

Going to portland this weekend. What should I buy from this place?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/BksBtrThnFood/status/714867613310918657/video/1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

a few books probably haha

sick post haha

a noose

>"legendary"

How mainstream and commercial, you impressionable pleb.

There are better places to get books in Portland for much cheaper. Powell's has a great selection but they generally charge triple the standard price for a used copy. It's a big trendy city there are plenty of better places, cant remember them off the top of my head but just look up Portland used books and shop around.

Unless youre a richfag in which case youll love powells

They have Granta and Paris Reviews for 4 dollars each sometimes, pretty good deal. I always snag a few.

Pick up some John Barthes, Norman Mailer, or go to the sci Fi section and buy some old shitty paperbacks for cheap. I was there on Friday and they had a pretty good selection of those authors.

Also, they have a fuckton of Thomas Hardy and DH Lawrence for really cheap, I always recommend that.

I picked up the Conan and Beckett you can see in this photo here at Powell's for pretty cheap.

This is 100% true.

Real patrician bookstore in Portland is Daedalus Books for lit, and Cameron's for cheap paperbacks.

The Powell's on Hawthorne also has the complete Dalkey available, which is dope.

I would check for a copy of Infinite Jest and Ulysses if I were you.

>Hardy
>Lawrence
>Elliot Chaze
I like you

Have ulysses sold ij.
Well look at those.

Powells is kinda overrated. Though I would say that the downtown Portland location has the best selection of books and if you want to go treasure hunting in its voluminous shelves that would be the location to do it. I frequently visit the Cedar Hills Crossing location and it's a lot more limited. I used to buy a lot of my books for college at Powells because it was so conveniently nearby (I went to Portland State University) and at that time they were very cheap. I was able to grab A Sentimental Journey there for a little under $2, a very old printing of it. You can find some old and obscure books for very cheap if you know what to look for.

Downtown Powell's is great but the Hawthorne one is also worth checking out

Agree with what everyone else here has said, though

I didn't know there were so many Portlanders on Veeky Forums. Although in retrospect it kind of makes sense.

Theres a bookstore on se12 thats near lads addition that I forgot the name of. Its great though

twitter.com/BksBtrThnFood/status/714867613310918657/video/1

God I hate Americans

Because they buy books from used bookstores? That seems rational.

What are you looking for?

I was there three weeks ago or so, and they had a signed 1st US edition of "Never Let Me Go" in their ordinary section for like $10 or so. I almost bought it, but didn't. If it's still there, why not pick it up?

I like their rare book room (bought a 1st edition of one of Andrew Lang's fairy books for my wife for her birthday). Past that.... eh. There are bookstores in Seattle (Third Place Books) and Santa Cruz (Logos) that I like more on the West Coast.

How about "Wait Until Spring, Bandini" by John Fante.

Oh, while Powell's is overrated, the food scene in Portland is not. If you can hit up Le Pigeon, you will be in for a treat. That place is one of the best restaurants in the country.

Portland's food scene is overrated though.

t. current portland resident, former louisville resident

I'll third this. Powell's is a tourism destination. It's still fun but you'll pay for the privilege.

why

Cameron's is where my middle-aged female relatives go to get sappy paperbacks for super cheap

Kek only on Veeky Forums would there be a genuine Powells Books shill

It's a popular tourist destination so anyone who likes books and has visited Portland would have likely been there.

I went there and they didn't have The Peregrine by J.A. Baker. For such a big book store I felt like they should have had it. I ended up buying some Thomas Carlyle books, they had all of his.

It's interesting how certain places/regions/locations have a disproportionate amount of internet users. The Pacific Northwest is definitely one of the regions that has more internet users per capita, especially on reddit, Veeky Forums to a lesser extent. Sweden takes the cake by far though.

God I hate [inset people wherever you're from]

Name 1 (one) nationality that would ever make a thread equivalent to this one.

The French. The English.

/thread

Powell's is more of a meme than a bookstore but I think it's a cool place still. I went there when I was like 14 though.

The two nations with the least to feel intellectually insecure about? pls go Cody, you don't understand the Gaul or the Anglo at all.

Whatever's was left by the buzzfeed crowd.