Reading out loud

My English professor made that argument that the best writers are also the ones who read the most. I understand this and it seems very logically.

She also added that reading out loud is the best way to read because the vocabulary and prose better cements itself in your mind subconsciously. What do you Veeky Forumstle niggers make of this?

Other urls found in this thread:

memecucker.tumblr.com/post/144587721433/i-remember-in-my-medieval-philosophy-class-my
memecucker.tumblr.com/post/150265686583/have-you-ever-heard-of-melanin-theory-its-this
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>seems very logically.
logical*

also pic unrelated, just a writer in my town who recently released a novel

memecucker.tumblr.com/post/144587721433/i-remember-in-my-medieval-philosophy-class-my

>also pic unrelated, just a writer in my town who recently released a novel
NO FUCK OFF NONONONONO

That's a cool history but it doesn't answer my question. Also, I don't see the point in reading fast if it diminishes retention.

very interesting indeed, thanks for sharing user. Do you have any further literature on medieval libraries and the such?

What's the matter?

He probably thinks the author is OP shilling her book here through trickery or something.

what's this
memecucker.tumblr.com/post/150265686583/have-you-ever-heard-of-melanin-theory-its-this

I'd shill her book, if you know what I mean.
(and if you don't, what I mean is I'd shill her book if, as gratification or through some other relation, it implied the performance of sexual acts with/on the author)

Huh. Poor albinos are literally not human.

HA,HA!
HA,HA,HAA!

HAAAAA

cute

I don't know, OP. Sometimes reading out loud can help. But usually when I read out loud I find it hard to focus on what I'm saying. Maybe just because I'm not used to reading that way? Like in high school when a teacher called on me to read a passage out loud, I always hoped that the teacher wouldn't ask me questions about what we were reading because if I was reading it out loud I didn't have any comprehension

It's the same with artists, although flukes do happen, it took poets literally hundreds of years to come to where they were in keats or shellys time. Creativity is not something you just will into existence without further influence. If for some reason you decided to be a poet and didn't read a drop of literature you'd be like all the kids memed about tumblr, who even happened to get published.

>who read the most
No. The best writers are the ones who have the most interesting experiences to draw from for inspiration.

> Also, I don't see the point in reading fast if it diminishes retention.

Because if you can read three times as fast but only retend half as much information it becomes more efficient

This is one of the best memes for people who can't create.

Not really. Any account of these experiences will more likely be pilferred by a book industrial and/or someone who can actually write.

You can have interesting experiences vicariously though. i.e. thru books

Fuck, this is some pretty good bait. It's so good that half of me thinks you're serious.

Good experiences don't magically give you talent and skill at writing. Most of the greatest writers actually lived some of the most boring, uneventful lives, and generally died before their work even gained recognition, so they didn't even have that going for them.

Please, by all means, go out and live the craziest, or most depressing life ever--enjoy yourself, or want to kill yourself; but when you sit down at your desk and write it all down, and find that you can't write for shit, you'll know.

>No. The best writers are the ones who have the most interesting experiences to draw from for inspiration.
Not really Kerouac did that and he's dogshit

Meanwhile Turgenev lived in the spare rooms of the woman he beta orbited and "amazingly" managed to actually have loads of fantastic stories about people from all walks of life.
Austen was a fucking spinster and yet she defined the society novel.
Kafka was autistic as fuck and we worship him.

>.
lovecraft and philip larkin come to mind as well. quiet lives.

I caved in and ordered her book. top kek

tbf lovecraft's the absolute case of someone who'd be much better if he got out more and actually spoke to people

What about Melville? Or Camus? Transcendentalists come to mind. Novel frame of mind will give you the color you need.

if this is a thought provoking book, and not just folksy home-spun observations and whimsy, i will be surprised. besides, they're giving dozens away, you could get it by asking, probably.

Nah, it's a story of a woman who marries a dull husband and then an eccentric ex returns into her life and she has to choose between being humble or being rich/famous. It's the ultimate 30 year old stay at home mom's power fantasy. I'm only gonna read it because I'm a little fucking lesbian for older women, heh.

so there is cucking, you say?

It's the best bait because it's so simple user.

I don't know if she bangs the dude or not. I'm gonna have to read it to find out for sure. I'm gonna assume she doesn't though because if her fanbase is gonna be a bunch of moms, then she can;t have her fucking rich dudes considering that they wouldnt be able to relate to that.

jesus christ this fags writing is terrible

melville was an incredibly focused auto-didact who studied the bible, shakespeare, his contemporaries and the classics of philosophy. this, moreso than his experience, would be the reason for his skill. on one of his voyages, he was travelling with a philosopher, and the two would discourse on the stoics, spinoza, plato, descartes, etc. while stuck in the hulls of his ships for long hours. while his travels were important influences, he devoured literature.

looking specifically at moby dick, you can see in the preludes to the first page his sources for whales. "and god created great whales" and so on and so on. melville maybe could have written moby dick without these intensely literary influences, but it wouldn't be the Great American Novel if he hadn't. breadth of knowledge about writing and reading trumps experience. who knew?

I suffer from a severe stutter. I routinely read aloud to myself. Most recently The Call of The Wild. Lasted me a few weeks. I've read the constitution of the US several times out loud to myself. As well as the entire book of Mormon. Which is particularly odd considering my non religious status. The only people who know I do this for this reason are my Dr, speech coach. And my sister and her fiancee.. I'm 24 btw

Neat, I don't read aloud because my accent is too brutish to enunciate words properly (Lancashire, UK)