How did you all learn latin

please share your tips and experiences with me. i want to learn latin myself. every comment will be appreciated

desu, i took latin classes through my school. they were really hard because my teacher made us vocalize it. if you can find any local latin teachers or community college classes, i would try signing up for those because latin is much easier with an instructor.

Lingua Latina per se Illustrata by Hans Orberg

In high school, like any other educated man living in a first world country.

Learning Latin is mostly pointless

So is everything else, pleb

;) HEHE le pointless xD mems!11@~

Learning another language in high school that's actually in wide use like Spanish, French, or Mandarin

Is probably of better use in the long run

Learning Spanish takes literally five minutes and French comes naturally once you know the other important European languages and Latin and spend some time in France

What kind of shithole school did you attend anyways that you only learned one or two languages?

Why not just learn a language in use first. Latin shouldn't be given attention compared to actually used languages, which in turn opens you up to more literature throughout the 20th century.

Honestly, Latin seems like a waste of resources. Most schools agree.

The point isn't hyperbole friend. The point is actual in use languages are required more in ciriculum than dead languages. Latin is optional.

I'd much rather people research it on their own, learn it on their own, than focus resources towards it that could otherwise go elsewhere

>muh """ ciriculum """
you retard lmao

(i sure wonder what language the word curriculum (which is how it's spelled) originates from btw ;)))))))
IF ONLY THERE WAS SOME CLASS IN SCHOOL ABOUT A LANGUAGE OR SOMETHING WHERE THEY COULD HAVE TAUGHT YOU HOW TO FUCKING SPELL IT

Not an argument desu

fucking SAVAGE

D E A D NO RECOVERY POSSIBLE R I P

There's actually a resurgence in Latin learning. Those that took Latin courses in school scored higher in both SATs and IQ compared to other languages, like Spanish or French. Latin literature is timeless and better than most literature today as proven by the test of time. In addition, Latin helps in understanding/acquisition of English grammar and vocabulary (especially in prefixes and suffixes).

You're the same user tho

>There's actually a resurgence in Latin learning. Those that took Latin courses in school scored higher in both SATs and IQ compared to other languages

There's plenty of ways to accomplish this without wasting resources towards Latin that could otherwise go towards physics or higher mathematics.

I sure am glad I am not a big fag like this guy!

That's a shame because it's enjoyable

Getting a grammar book and then reading random stuff on latin library

My governess taught it to me from a very young age, and then after she left my dad and I would have nightly discussions in Latin so I didn't forget it.

Studied for 8 years in school. Now I study it at uni.

Likewise studied Greek for 5 years in school and now study it at uni.

Orberg -> college where we read all sorts of stuff, this was an unfocused period and kind of a waste of time because of how little was read in class (an entire semester class on the Phormio etc.) -> post-college started the autistic plan of reading all extant Latin lit in chronological order, starting with Plautus, and memorizing all unknown words.

It was after reading all of Plautus' plays that things really started to click for me, his syntax is so different from prose/other poets that it seemed to "exercise" my brain in some way. I've been mostly reading Cicero, with a break for Catullus and Lucretius, for two years now and I love him. Sometimes I do read something out of order but mostly I've been sticking to the plan.

>Those that took Latin courses in school scored higher in both SATs and IQ compared to other languages

This is nonsense. Those scores are high because Latin is an elective and people who elect to take it are usually smarter to begin with.

>Latin literature is timeless and better than most literature today

There's plenty of vernacular literature equal to the best of Latin lit.

This is why I have scruples about becoming a teacher. I love Latin but I can't pretend that it's useful. "Hurr it will help your children think better because it's hard!" Math is hard too, and beautiful, and might actually get your children a decent job. "It will help your children learn other languages easier!" Why not just learn another modern language from the get-go rather than go through a difficult, ancient one? "There's great lit in Latin!" There's great lit in English. There's great lit in French. There's great lit in German. You could spend your whole life reading English and never run out of good stuff to read. "You miss so much in translation!" Of poetry and good prose, of course you do, but if you're just concerned with the content of, say, Aquinas, or Cicero's philosophical dialogues, of course that is as translatable as anything else. "Hurr muh foundation of western civilization!" The truth is very few of your students will ever learn enough Latin to read those "foundational" texts comfortably.

If I was a teacher I would really only be thinking about the minority of students who would go on with it throughout their lives and couldn't justify it for everyone else. I don't know how to except that it's very rewarding to me and will be to some others. I can't even articulate how it's rewarding, besides that the syntax is so different and it's beautiful to watch the sentences blossom the way they do. And I don't like to lie, I don't like to be a humbug, I don't like to do something pointless on purpose and then dissemble about it, so I don't know if I could teach.

And how fluent are you?

It varies from author to author. Vocabulary will always be something you can get better at, which is why being able to make (educated) guesses at the meanings of words is such an important skill. That said, armed with a dictionary, I would say I could give a good shot at any text thrown at me. Of course, "fluency" is also about being able to produce a translation which is good in English.

I would also say I'm quite good at translating into Latin/Greek prose (at least in the style's of Cicero/Plato); I'm also learning to translate into Greek iambics, but I haven't been doing that very long.

go back to 9gag

>vocalizing latin
>hard

Holy shit, dude, its literally the easiest language to pronounce after 5 mins of learning

i did shelmerdine cover to cover and understood all the grammar and then i read through the cambridge latin books 1-4 for review and extra vocab since it took like two days at that point, then i got bristol caesar readers and some annotated readers of easy latin authors and started manually translating

then moved to more difficult things