Becoming something else - a writer

Do you guys know how to *become* a writer?

I don't mean 'how to write a novel', but how to become, intellectually, as it were, a writer.

Do you filling the social role of what we perceive to be a writer, or about how to get a book published?

You need to have read a lot of books about a wide range of things. Suffer for a few years even if you grew up rich, push that old life away and burn away the safety net. Delillo says something along the lines of the idea that the novelist needs to stand apart, he needs to remove himself from all preconceived notions and reexamine them, he needs to watch society without judging it. Basically some eastern type dissociation. You don't need to agree with him but it's a good start.

Oh and this also means giving up your tv and computer and reddit privileges

I guess the question is... What are some books or people that deal with questions like this? That can act sort of like a guide?

(If I'm honest it isn't just about writing, I think there is something interesting in the soul of the writer that I'm interested in exploring)

not necessarily, pseud

define giving up privileges

not to imply that indeed it wouldn't be so bad for a person's well-being to give up their tv/pc/reddit privileges

Indeed not everything that isnt not beneficial to being (being as being as) is unwell but instead not necessarily reflect those who have that which that one can possess to make one well. I.e. Tv, reddit, internet, phone don't have reverence for time, writers must. Fuck off

oy vey lad as I was subvocalizing this post my buttocks were sub-hurting

tone it down a bit

in order to become any sort of artist, I think the most vital thing you 'need to do' is to understand your own personal experiences in the world, and your relation to it, and to hone your perception of it. develop expansive interests, synthesis information from various fields. understand what it means to, as it were, be 'a fucking human being,' understand what it means to exist in this late capitalist dystopia that is the 21st century, understand what it means to exist as a part of human society in general.

Write something and call yourself a writer.
Read a lot. Read everything you can get your hands on. Just like the fighter who masterfully delivers blows to his opponent is equally masterful in receiving them, a writer who can make stories masterfully is the one who reads and enjoys reading.
I don't know what else you want. If you wear glasses and sweaters, pick up a certain gait in your step and an inflection in your speech, and you do all you can to look like a writer and then you call yourself a writer, then you're not a writer, you're a poser. If you want to think like a writer then you do what writers do and that is read and write.

Read more and write more, your brain will thank you.

And You won't need this kind of stuff in the long run anyway, you can read and write or you can watch tv, but doing both effectively is out of the question. And if you want more reason then take a look at the debilitating state of
(Poor lads, their high-traffic nature has taken the board hostage with shitposting of all kinds)

Take melanin pills.

john gardner's the art of fiction
john gardner's on becoming a novelist

practise smoking broodingly on camera

Writers have been creative since their youth, in many different ways. It's really a disposition, so if you don't have that, there's no way to "become" a writer.

definitely not always true if you are 'gifted' in other ways. DFW is a good example of somebody who didn't get writing until he was already a couple of years into college. Franzen didn't begin to write until after he graduated, and his first published novel was his first attempt at writing a novel.

But surely they've had creative inclinations outside writing. I can't argue a proper point though, because I have no proof.

so clearly, then, if you can turn your creative inclinations into writing you *can* become a writer.

don't know what you mean by 'creative.'
franzen was a science geek throughout much of his youth, only really read sci-fi and non-fiction throughout much of his youth. dfw was of course into math and tennis. both probably read things in high school, to extents, but did not develop serious interests in fiction period, let alone writing fiction, until they were parts of the ways through their college careers.
there is actually a surprisingly large number of people who didn't take up any arts until later in life, only to excel. I think it's really less about having 'creative inclinations' and more about having certain sensitivities and curiosities, etc.

These are both equally pseud-tier.

You read a lot and write a lot. There's no other way to do it. There's no "becoming" a writer, as if it's this mysterious persona you can fit yourself into. There's being a writer and not being a writer, and if you want to be a writer, you have to read a lot and write a lot.

Being a writer means communicating and expressing yourself with words. The more you are surrounded by books, magazines or anything with words, the better. But you also need to practice writing, assimilating what you read, imitating

the mythical triple negative

Copywork. Copy the masters so you know the feels what writing patrician lit feels like.
Then you write your own stuff, be disgusted, come back the next day and do it again.
Write one short story a week for next 3 years then you'll be a writer. bradbury said so

Should I sell my gaming pc Veeky Forums? I've been seriously considering it for a while now.

No, second hand pc shit drops in value quick. Just put some sort of shitty linux on it it will be useless for anything but typing

Write a lot. Every day. Get some of the writing published. Then you're a writer.

You'll still hate yourself though.