How enter on college in USA?

How enter on college in USA?
[foreign, have two nationalities and wants to study on USA].

Other urls found in this thread:

topuniversities.com/student-info/student-finance/how-much-does-it-cost-study-us
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>go on U.S university website
>look at international student applications
>literally do what they say
considering you asked such a simple question, I think paying 3 times as much to fail in another country will just be a waste of money.

I asked this because i don't understand the system
"Student loans,debts"
The country where i live to enter in a university you need to do a universal test [everyboredy needs to do this test if you want to enter in something].

Learn English first.

Let me explain those topics to you but before we go into detail it can all be explained with one word:

Corruption.

>Student loans

Banks love making easy money. In the past, when degrees only existed in profitable careers, lending money to students was an easy way to make interest because 100% of those students would then get white collar 6 figure jobs and would pay the interests with no problem.

Then degrees like gender studies appeared but interest was too sweet so banks forced the government to make student loan interest impossible to get rid off, not even by bankruptcy, so now even poor gender studies graduates are forced to pay them with what little they make at starbucks.

Furthermore, as banks will give loans to anyone (as they are a safe investment, even to shitty students), universities took the hint and made college ultra expensive. The most expensive universities go from 65k A YEAR.

So basically, to go to US college you need loans, financial aid or to be rich.

>debts
Indeed, instead of forcing you to get a part time job as a student, banks create a fantasy world for students where they promise that you do not need to pay until you get out of uni so basically, the moment you graduate you get hundreds of thousands of debt, as you did not have to pay any of it for 4 years.

>universal test

Oh, yes. In the US it is called the SAT, an industry of bullying and corruption. Originally the SAT was invented by racists to show why blacks were inferior but then it was repurposed to show why lower income people were inferior.

Now you NEED to get a good SAT score and how do you do it? By buying 'SAT practice books'. From who? FROM THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THE SAT.

So that is three industries (banks, colleges themselves and SAT) making it retardedly hard for you to get a degree so that they can make money.

Welcome to the land of the free*

You're really lucky if you can afford a 4-5 year degree in the US.
You should use your money for something better though.

I laughed soo hard when you explained the SAT test., thanks for the reply mate.

Like what?

Like going to a university that is not riddled by corruption (those that are free) and then using the money you would have wasted to start a business or something.

Seriously, US students get loans that amount to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Imagine if instead of wasting it on 'acting' they got those 100k to start a business, maybe even directly in theatre.

The economy would be booming and at least a business is a platform to immediately start paying back your debt.

It is funny but it is sadly true. I am not from the US but like everyone I thought of studying there. I even almost signed up for the SAT.

Instead I went to a national university and here they also have a test but the thing is that after you pay for inscription (just like 30 bucks) they give you a book with like 500 pages detailing the contents of the test.

You study from that book and then you are good to go.

In the US the equivalent book for the SAT is sold and 'SAT tutors' are online for a premium. It is a corrupt business made not to find the best students, but to find the best money to fill their pockets because before getting the book the only thing you know about the SAT is that there are 3 parts. Writing, reading and math.

What does that even mean? Math could be anything. Maybe the focus is on pure algebra, or maybe calculus? Or maybe arithmetic? Who the fuck knows!

Writing? What does that mean? A lot of essays or structured questions? Who the fuck knows.

You NEED to buy the book to know how questions are asked and how you are supposed to interpret them.

I'm thinking of doing my postgrad in the States, it doesn't seem half as bad as undergraduate requirements. I am also doing an exchange to the United States through my university, which means I don't need to pay international fees (or fit their requirements) for one year of American courses.

The free universities on US are good?

My country the degree is worthless .

University """reputation""" is a pretty big meme, especially if you're going to bankrupt yourself in doing it.

Where do you live?

Fucking Brazil.

I was born on US but the 9/11 shit made me spend all my education here, but i think the private school here is better than the public on us, is more embracing, the student here knows more of the world than the average american student.

This is a good idea. The money universities have in the US only becomes a factor when you are a PhD student. If you want to do top tier research in experimental physics then "poor" universities will not do. You need RICH universities that scam their undergrads because those are the ones that can afford the big labs.

>The free universities on US are good?

When I said free, I meant outside of the US. Europe has it, I know latin america has it (as I am from here). I pay 20 bucks per semester, that + the inscription free will be about 200$ after my graduation.

My university will cost 200$ and I don't even have to pay that upfront.

>My country the degree is worthless .

This sounds like a meme. Where are you from?

>born on US
So you're an American citizen, that means you don't need to pay international fees. You'll get to bankrupt yourself for cheaper.

>. You'll get to bankrupt yourself for cheaper.

And student loan debt is non-dischargeable on bankruptcy so it doesn't even make a difference!

The american education system is hard for me to understand...

I am a good student [not the best], knows to speak english [just my grammar sucks], knows
portuguese and wants to study, what steps should i take?

You should focus on getting good grades in your country's college and then apply to a US graduate program so they can pay you.

This, really. The US is really cuckified so they literally prefer outsiders than insiders for funding.

For undergrad this is not as good because the number of candidates is bigger so you need to be a minority of a minority (like maybe a transgender muslim) to get a full ride + stipend for undergrad, but for graduate school the numbers are much lower so you can get away with a full ride by just being black or maybe hispanic.

Jesus, I thought the UK system was a bit bad compared to the countries which have free higher education, but it's a fucking godsend in comparison. I had no idea how fucked the US education system is. It's up there with US healthcare.

Here in the UK, there was a lot of uproar when tuition fees increased from £3000 per year to £9000 per year. The thing is, everyone who meets a few very basic residency requirements is entitled to a government loan for their first undergraduate degree. Unless you come from a very well-to-do background, you're also eligible for varying amounts of maintenance loans to live on (or grants which don't need to be paid back if you come from a poorer background) and these are usually enough to sustain someone if they don't want to get a part time job while studying. The loans are all zero interest, and you won't have to pay back anything until you're earning more than £21,000 per year. Even then, the repayments, which are based on your annual earnings, are the most reasonable loan repayments you could find anywhere - much more reasonable than anything entered into with a bank.

British people protested when tuition fees were increased from £3000 to £9000. Why do the US people willfully accept such blatant inequality and profiteering?

>Why do the US people willfully accept such blatant inequality and profiteering?

Because simply, they do not know any better.

In most countries there are two types of universities. Private and public.

Where I come from, private universities are about 3000$ to 10000$ per year while public universities are like 40$ per year (basically free but you need to pay some fees every semester).

In this system, if private universities started asking for like 50000$ a year (something normal in the US) then many students would say "Okay, my parents have money but I am not retarded, and public universities are very high ranked, so I might aswell just get my free education" so this balances cost. Private universities are expensive but they cannot get too expensive or else no one will consider them, as they have to compete with free public universities.

In the US, PUBLIC universities cost 10000$ a year. If you are going to get a loan for a public university, you might aswell go big and go to a school that costs 60000$ a year. Is there even that much of a difference when they both hit you at the 5 figures?

Good stats can be found here:
topuniversities.com/student-info/student-finance/how-much-does-it-cost-study-us

If you want to get an education for lower than 5 digits then you need to study in your state and at a public university. Anything else will go beyond 10k.

So now back to your question. This system has been like this for a whole generation. Kids today going to uni have NEVER seen affordable college in their life. Their parents have never seen affordable college in their life either.

When Bernie Sanders says "affordable college" people think he is talking about giving the presidency to Putin and bringing back the soviet union.

When Bernie says "free college" they think he is talking about another dimension.

Americans simply do not know any better, and odds are they never will. There is too much money in this business today.

Foreign student here. If you don't know English, you're better off staying in your home country for academic reasons.

Also, a degree from a university in your home country is probably better in your home country than some degree from a foreign university, particularly if your country is one that hates or does not give a fuck about the United States.

If you don't have money or a scholarship/need based financial aid from either here or your home government or some company, you won't be able to afford it since the prices now are pretty exorbitant. But don't worry, you're not really missing out on anything.

>Originally the SAT was invented by racists to show why blacks were inferior but then it was repurposed to show why lower income people were inferior.

Kek, figures a lot of them would fail such an elementary test.

Anyways the education system here just seems like a huge bubble about to pop at any moment. Not in the real estate sense since obviously people can't default on their student loans, but there seems to be widespread societal decline on the horizon due to people getting worthless overpriced degrees which can be worse than any real estate bubble.

Frankly a lot of people here have unwarranted snobbishness and elitism due to a piece of paper that says they majored in media for undergrad. It's fucking hilarious and depressing at the same time how a person can manage to reach that level of delusion, especially when they come out expecting a six figure salary straight out of college from libarts or some equally retarded bullshit.

It's like a cult. And the behavior that enables it equally reprehensible. I routinely come across people defending $300 textbooks saying that if there's a single useful piece of knowledge inside that overpriced piece of garbage that becomes useful for them in the future, then it was worth every penny. They think the same of college tuition.

Focus on getting crappy grades so that they won't want you so you have the freedom to do what you really want and not what your parents want. =)

But i want to learn stuff, the university here is bullshit, and nobody cares about a brazilian degree, but here everyboredy will love a foreign diploma. If i study on US i will have alot of experience and new things, people say good stuff about college there.

If you're any good you can learn stuff better on your own if that is what you want to do. University is mostly for making connections for your work life.

>Originally the SAT was invented by racists to show why blacks were inferior but then it was repurposed to show why lower income people were inferior.
this is sarcasm, right?

no bully I am autistic

I teach at a private school with about 50% of our student body being foreign students (predominantly, but not exclusively, chinese) that attend (2-6 years usually, the bulk being 4) in order to better their chances at entering a US university.

I won't read through all of the thread because a lot of it is Veeky Forums being Veeky Forums, but if you have any questions in particular I'll answer them.

The short list though would be to take the TOEFL, take tests that align with individual university requirements (many take other nations' tests but I don't know specifics there given my situation), primarily the SAT or the ACT, and to be able to pay for it. If the school is good and not too large they'll also likely request an interview, if you're applying directly from an asian country specifically there will be a lot of worry about you cheating. You'll also need to pay for it, universities usually have some form of financial aid available but there's usually far less open to international students. Some scholarshps aren't citizenship-locked though, but you might need to be enrolled in a US highschool when applying.

Your best bet though is to avoid a lot of the international application stuff by attending either a highschool in America, especially one that will offer you a normal student degree instead of an "international student" degree. If not, attending an american or other english speaking school at home is good. Both of these do require that you have a good bit of money unless you can find scholarships, but if you're applying to go to university in America that'd likely be the case anyway. If you're serious about it and don't have an insane amount of money then with diligence and an impressive enough background you could start emailing schools and maybe find one that'll take you on for just travel expenses + ~$6,000 a year (my school charges more but that seems like a realistic lower bound).

Not really.

The history of most standardized tests usually dates back to attempts to marginalize groups of less educated blacks and others in the United States.

Similar to these voter literacy tests which were mandatory in areas with high black populations.