Why does life exist?

I don't mean that in an existential context, I mean what the fuck does the universe benefit with having living organisms around? I've heard that life makes for good "energy converters" but that's about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_England
blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=7263
quantamagazine.org/20140122-a-new-physics-theory-of-life/
rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/12/105/20141383
rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/10/86/20130475.short
fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~karl/A Free Energy Principle for Biological Systems.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The same reason rocks and light exist.
It just happens to exist. It's a self-emerging structure under some conditions. That's it.

Why does the universe exist?

what a retarded post OP

God decided it.

Even wth rocks and light there's an empirical "why" they came to be. But pretty much

>what does the universe benefit from

i dont think that makes any sense.. its not like the universe needs to survive and so life gives it survival value.

I think life isn't inherently qualitatively special, its kind of a continuum from other systems that can occur in the universe. They are just very complex and so exist in special circumstances but their existence isn't greater than the chance of fate in the schemes of things or than the explanation that "they can exist so they do". (happy for anyone to disagree, I'm not a physicist or biologist but that makes sense to me. i would love to learn more about genetics and stuff like that).

I'm just curious as to what was meant as a "great energy converter". Is that just retard babble?

what does that mean?

If you have to ask, then it is

So proteins can convert matter into biomass more efficiently.

Seeing Darwinian evolution as a special case of a more general phenomenon.

The underlying principle driving the whole process is dissipation-driven adaptation of matter.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_England

blog.talkingphilosophy.com/?p=7263

>asking why
>not asking how

never gonna make it

quantamagazine.org/20140122-a-new-physics-theory-of-life/

>asking why or how and not realizing both are the story of story making and spending time on them is just spending time on the rhetoric of convincing yourself you know something you could easily just try and that the only thing that is important is whether the story is useful to be believed so the world doesn't stop it.

never ever gonna make it

Because it can

The uncarved block

>what the fuck does the universe benefit with having living organisms around
the universe has no apparent mind or will and did not create organisms, I'm not sure what you are saying

Life increases entropy faster than non-life does.

Interesting point, but whats the relevance?

Disequilibrium promotes equilibrium. Maybe systems such as life are just the product of a system tending toward equilibrium. We can only know once we can infer the states of existence at the beginnings of the universe and those conditions that lead to those on our planet.

Karl friston has some interesting perspectives on the nature of self-organization. He initially started with the brain but his more recent papers are going into biology more generally;

rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/12/105/20141383

rsif.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/10/86/20130475.short

fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/~karl/A Free Energy Principle for Biological Systems.pdf

It begins to be an complicated question the minute somebody wishes to knows a "why". Why must be an reason?
It' seems to be somewhat natural to mankind to look for human reasons for anything.
This happens with annoying frequency in the academy. Sometimes it even slow down the scientific development.
My opinion is that there is no so called benefit because there is no intent of being benefited. There is just a number of conditions in which an situation that this number of conditions happen, life can potentially develop itself.

>the beginnings of the universe
I think big bang has really fucked up how people view the universe. A simple yet clever ploy by the church to try and roll with the times leaving a gaping back door of a god creating the big bang. For one thing it could be a multiverse of dimensions and time that has no beginning or end. It could also be alive in a sense, expanding and contracting like a lung.

That the universe is indifferent to our existence is both humbling and horrifying. Nothing matters. We're just these apes on a rock orbiting one of trillions of stars in the universe. You're the product of a self organizing universe. I'll smoke to that ;)

Not everything needs to have a purpose in the universe

>anthropomorphisizing the universe

Life exists because it is self replicating. If things do not replicate, like the structure of carbon atoms in a diamond, they cease to exist quickly by the laws of entropy. Life is defined as self-replicating and DNA replication is consistent with chemistry.

The Universe isn't concious, therefore, it cannot assign a reason. We just exist because the laws of mathematics, physics; chemistry and biology culminated in the synthesis of life when put under X condition(s).