His eyes were a brilliant, piercing blue

>His eyes were a brilliant, piercing blue.

>he was intelligent, nihilistic and had a wicked sense of humor

>He chadly proportioned, with a chad nose, chad eyes, a chad jaw, and lightly tousled chad hair.

nice

>reading Looking for Alaska to see what the fuss is about
>love interest is a chain smoking loud annoying emasculating pixie dreamgirl

Today on "why the fuck is this a thing"

>"Hell, even..."

>he had a gleam in his eyes that portrayed intelligence and a quick wit

Is it at least endearing? I don't like it but you'd have to be a fool not to see why it sells, it plays into feels, it's easy to read and it toys with the fantasy any high school wannabe geek has, and green does it very well. Is it Moby Dick? No, but unfortunately this is a thing

Genuinely thought that was a photo of me for a second, but I have a slightly broader, more masculine facial structure.

that's great man

Yeah it resembles me too, but I have blonde hair, icy blue eyes and cheekbones that protrude far into the night. I also have a much stronger jaw and teeth made to rend flesh.
Pic related kind of looks just like me but I have a much stronger, more masculine face.

>blonde hair on a man

Have fun never getting laid.

step aside ladies

>pic related

me.

Oh...Fuck.Off.

good thread

not a native speaker, but wouldn't "betrayed" fit better than "portrayed" here?

Why? The gleam is presented as a portraying quality.

>portray
>1. To paint or draw the likeness of.

In other words, while the look in his eye gave the impression that he was intelligent, that may not necessarily be true, but just the way he appeared to the observer.

Actually, betray is way better. It's much more poetic.

That kinda creates the impression he's trying to hide his intelligence but the narrator managed to find out by the gleam in his eyes, which sounds pretty silly to me.

Can intelligence and quick wit be drawn or painted as characteristics of a portrait? I would say no. Betrayed is a better verb here.

In either case, "gleam in the eye" strikes me as poetic license carried a tad far. I don't recall ever reading someone's intelligence as a glint or a hint from their eyes.

>a shock of hair

sure, frank herbert.

This is true.
Personally I would avoid this problem by cutting the whole "gleam in the eye" bit. It's schlocky anyway.

Genuinely thought that was a photo of me for a second, but I have a slightly broader, more masculine facial structure.

Thanks for the laugh user

The whole point is that I hate it when the author uses the 'gleam in the eye' or similar physical characteristics to describe the characters personality.
Other examples:
>His weathered, kind face was full of wisdom
>His beady eyes and thin lips betrayed his unscrupulous nature
>His high forehead showed his great intellect

>Stately, plump Buck Mulligan came from the stairhead

By a woman.

.t blondfag

just dropping in to say im very handsome too

i'm hot but average height and i can only imagine how it'd be if i were 10cms taller oh my the jaws dropped
>insidepriorto MUH HOT MUH AVERAGE HEIGHT MUH PICK ONE

What are you talking about I'm blonde and my boyfriend just cummed in my boipussi ten minutes ago

Obligatory

Whatever you say, Lionel

only people who don't like blonde men is self hating whites.

>only self hating whites post on this board

top cuk

Conveyed. Or some other third choice.

Betrayed is a rather negative word. While it makes sense, it would be a better fit if 'intelligence and a quick wit' were negative qualities. is correct.

>she looked up into his soft emerald eyes

>his eyebrows curved high above his sallow, Jewish faace as though asking a question, but the lids of his eyes drowsed languorous and indifferent

it's the most patrician king of hairs

I'm actually ok not looking absolutely perfect. Even in this state I notice every woman I meet wants to have sex with me. Just imagine. The situation is already quite bad, population is in decline in all Western countries, if I were perfect, no woman would want to have sex with the rest of you and civilization would crash in a minute. I just realized I might need to sacrifice myself for the sake of humanity.

Intelligence is the second easiest thing you can draw from observing someone's eyes. Maybe you're just autistic, have you thunk about that?

Make sure to stream it for us when you do

>;

>I don't recall ever reading someone's intelligence as a glint or a hint from their eyes.
thats because you've never met anyone intelligent. we can tell from the way you write.
i agree betray would work better but your argument to support the change is pure poverty.

>Cheekbones that protrude far into the night
My sides