How has math influenced you to become an engineer?

How has math influenced you to become an engineer?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_for_the_Global_Positioning_System
milesmathis.com/gps.pdf
adam.curry.com/art/1453898208_cZP32p44.html
archive.salon.com/people/feature/2000/07/06/einstein/print.html
salon.com/2000/07/06/einstein/
tf.boulder.nist.gov/general/pdf/1229.pdf
aapt.org/doorway/TGRU/articles/Ashbyarticle.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

Pls hlp

I hate seeing these pictures of homemade birthday cakes. I imagine the people on the other end of the pictures with these cakes.

>I hate seeing these pictures of homemade birthday cakes.
What, how common are these?

Moar?

For me, engineering helped me become a mathematician.

i've always enjoyed figuring out how things worked and tinkering, so i learned the math along the way

I love math and understanding stuff and inventing new ways for stuff. So I guess engineering gave math and physics a common ground. I can use both to engineer cool shit.

ayy lmao. engineers don't really use math the way you think they do. the math is just there to confirm what you already intuitively knew, to cover your ass in court, and help optimize your designs. most of engineering is done with feels and "gut" instinct.

What, are you jealous people get the love, or do you think they are likely to be mortified by the poor craftsmanship?

Honestly, I got a few of these, and always loved them. They were entertaining, and not meant to be lasting artworks anyway.

Math was too hard so I became an engineer

>Math
That's why they invented solidworks

Math had literally no influence.. I don't care about math. It's just a means to an end.
M.E. made me more interested in chemistry than anything else.

And the machinist handbook

Is there any other forums or engineer here I can ask questions to?

There's chemistry in M.E?

I wanted to be an artist, but didn't get into the art school so I became an engineer instead. So far I haven't regretted this choice.

>ME
We're talking about real engineering here, babby.

as a math student, i've never wanted more to purge the earth of someone than now.
you are the scum of the academic world. go fix people's cars, you fucking BRAINLET.

I honestly disliked math with a burning passion until I got into civil. I still hate math, but in the construction field you don't need math. And as user said, you only need math to cover your ass in court

go scatter shitty theorems and proofs on your chalkboard you fucking crusty sperg

>what are rockets and automobiles?
>what is energy?

In power generation, thermodynamics, refrigeration and a bunch of other courses

Solidworks can't help you with everything. Also you usually have to do the math before you run random simulations, otherwise you're no better than an engineerig technologist.

As as ME I kinda liked the smartly applied maths in engineering, but the thing is, apart from derivations in Mechanics of materials and dynamics+kinematics there is no real use of it. I mean yeah, FEA is pure math, but knowing how FEA works is one thing and using software is another thing alltogether.
In design you will find a solution or formula for your problem 99% of the time, because everything is pretty much solved by other people before you and many things are solved quite some time ago.
Sometimes I encounter a problem, but usually instead of searching for a nice solution I brute force it with excel.

It didn't, Legos did.

btw, I don't know any engineer who was inspired by math, there is a very small percentage of engineers who like math. Engineers are mostly inspired by creative process, the ability to design real world things.

Do engineers even learn fucking classical mechanics?

As in Lagrange/D'Alambert mechanics?
Not very often.

That cake is probably better than the book.

>Inventing algorithms which are good for making working physical shit in the real world is bad.
Ok, brainlet.

But it's very useful for modeling mechatronics and electromechanical systems, so yes they do, at least the better ones; not these below average arrogant subhuman undergrands which are the majority on Veeky Forums.

It hasn't, I'm not gay.

This

Kek

>don't care about math
REEEEEEEEE LEAVE NOW FAGGOT AND NEVER COME BACK.

Those theorems are the basis of physics which is the basis of modern technology. Go suck Muslim cock you disgusting piece of shit faggot.

I don't need theorems. I can see in my head how the system works. In 99% of the cases it works exactly the same way I imagined it.
Math is for retards, who have zero imagination and visualization and can't intuitively understand physics.
My designs are also on of the best, at least that's what other (competent) people tell me.

>doing physics without maths
Well my intuition says the light speed is infinite. Why am I wrong???? My intuition says that there's no uncertainty principle? Why am I wrong? My intuition says you're a faggot. Oh wait I'm right this time.

As a ME student, I fucking love math.
I'll definitely pursue a Master's in Math after I graduate from Engineering School.

I do read physics and engineering books to get an intuitive understanding.

>light speed is infinite.
Not necessarily, your intuition is just shit. For most practical scenarios it is though.
> there's no uncertainty principle
Both are Irrelevent bs for real engineering.

>irrelevant for engineering
Tell me Einstein how can I make a cellphone or a computer? Or use GPS? Without maths?

On a very science related note, I once kept that book in my locker in anticipation for reading it in elementary school. A group of kids saw that cover and laughed at me because it was "girly" so I never read it.

Kek.
>giving a fuck for other people's opinion

It's still irrelevant for an actual designer. You just fiddle around with the inside of the chip using intuition. Most chip designers grasp how the small-scale physics works and then simply put use their software and intuition.

No one writes a bunch of useless math when designing a chip.

>GPS
Oh, you mean that high-school level shit. You just copy it from some subhuman mathfag book. I thought you were talking about actual math.

But i'm a mathematician, not an engineer

>implying you don't need general relativity for gps
You're dumber than I thought

Actually they don't use GR for GPS. Maybe you should be a real engineer not a mouth breather subhuman pure science fan.

The introduced error is irrelevant.

Just type it into Google and read. It's the first thing people know how to do instead of spouting memes from first year Intro to Physics class in undergrad.

>The introduced error is irrelevant
When combining the time dilation and gravitational frequency shift, the discrepancy is about 38 microseconds per day, a difference of 4.465 parts in 1010.[15] Without correction, errors in the initial pseudorange of roughly 10 km/day would accumulate. This initial pseudorange error is corrected in the process of solving the navigation equations. In addition the elliptical, rather than perfectly circular, satellite orbits cause the time dilation and gravitational frequency shift effects to vary with time.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Error_analysis_for_the_Global_Positioning_System

Playing gmod at the age of 12 got me into engineering.

My friend and I would build airplanes with realistic fin control surfaces actuated by hydraulics, controlled with flybywire. As a result we were introduced to basic programming (the ingame language).

We both wanted to go to uni for aeronautical engineering but decided the job market was dismal so we both went EE instead

BTFO

milesmathis.com/gps.pdf

>relativity is incomplete
Stopped reading there.
>there are people who thinks relativity is a scam
Literally who is retarded enough to deny evidence?

Your weak reading comprehension and stopped reading there attitude shows how much of a failure you are.

adam.curry.com/art/1453898208_cZP32p44.html

I have seen GPS systems, both of you are fucking retards, yet all you have seen is some mathematical bullshit and not real engineering done by real scientists called research engineers.

Because math isn't important right? What do we need it for? We've got intuition right? Fuck math I'm building my own time machine using my intuition. See you in the future retard.

This thread is some funny shit.
Engineers getting BTFO and being all asshurt is my favorite thing after maths.
Please continue.

>classical relativistic
Wtf am I reading?

Your source is bullshitting. GPS satellites DO use relativitistic corrections:

archive.salon.com/people/feature/2000/07/06/einstein/print.html

The only people getting BTFO here is you two retards who fall for shitty baits made by some bored guy.
You also kind of play into his hand by trying to strong-arm him with GPS, because you actually don't need to give a shit about General Relativity on the receiver side if you build it that way, this also plays right into his "intuition argument".

On the other hand I have no idea what he's talking about. He constantly changes his opinion by a small margin and he also claimed in one of his posts that he reads physics and engineering books to gather his intuition or some shit.

Summary: he doesn't know what he is talking about, however for that matter neither you are, guys. It shows that you're a bunch of undergrad faggots.

The term does exist, look it up. It seems a bit strange though.
I would recommend reading something through despite some errors. I have never understand people who refuses to consider the underlying theorem because someone strangely or at certain places incorrectly explains some parts. Try to look behind the lines, for that you need real intuition and less arrogance.

TL;DR
Both the "engineer" guy and you guys are retards arguing about your own bullshit within your little Bubble, yet neither of you can see the big picture.

I'm just very lonely, that's why I'm spending my time BTFO that retarded engineer.

Yo, dude, try to make some friends maybe? Idk about your precise situation so I can't really give sound advice, just the generic bullshit.

Working link:

salon.com/2000/07/06/einstein/

Everyone around me are pop sci degenerate liberal faggots. That's why I have no friends.

Hmm... that's sad user, I hope it gets better for you.

Whatever you study or whatever interests you have you tried finding some groups with alike people? If you're at uni then you can probably join some physics/math/engineering or whatever stuff and aim for the ones intended for people with more serious scientific interests.

Ok buddy. General relativity isn't used in GPS systems. Sure thing buddy boy.
>Special and general relativity predict that the clocks on the GPS satellites would be seen by the Earth's observers to run 38 microseconds faster per day than the clocks on the Earth. The GPS calculated positions would quickly drift into error, accumulating to 10 kilometers per day. The relativistic time effect of the GPS clocks running faster than the clocks on earth was corrected for in the design of GPS.[13]

I didn't really meant to say that.

Oh, I got ya, though. Probably this is the line responsible for triggering you:
> because you actually don't need to give a shit about General Relativity on the receiver
I actually made a mistake there:
> because you actually don't need to go full physicists about the General Relativity on the receiver side.
What I meant is that the receiver doesn't have an extremely precise clock. It makes some approximations by plugging in a derived formula based on the real shit. Ehh, realize I had a brainfart when I wrote that and left out half of my points. My point is that engineers don't necessarily care about GR the same way you guys do.

These two are excellent intro resources to GPS:
tf.boulder.nist.gov/general/pdf/1229.pdf
aapt.org/doorway/TGRU/articles/Ashbyarticle.pdf

The point of the first huy was to say that gps were built without caring about GR. that's smply not true. We were laughing about this brainlet.
Then you come along and say the same thing.
Now I'm laughing at you too.
Butthurt brainlet engineers are the best, nearly as funny as CS brainlets.

If that's all you inferred from my post then I feel sorry for you.

I have never said that you don't need GR to build the GPS. I was talking about the receiver side in my post where I fucked up by leaving out a sentence or two. There are some shitty ass correctional strategies though.

Anyway, If you check out my links (the same ones I used when I initially fucked around with GPS some time ago) you can see that I know about the importance of relativity regarding GPS.

The relationships and physical laws there are quite simple for anyone who has a proper university background in a related STEM field.

>don't need to give a shit about General Relativity on the receiver side if you build it that way
>>don't need to give a shit about General Relativity

All righty roo.

Lol you're the brainlet getting cucked in a science program while engineers do the same shit and get paid more. If you were actually competent in science you could learn it on your own time rather than falling for le science meme doing nothing but circle jerking and getting exploited by chad

Don't move the goal post and try to read what I wrote.

Don't be mad at him, you easily come off as butthurt and you're no better than him if you argue about some troll tier shit.

>implying I don't enjoy trolling trolls trolling trolls troll

2 engineer brainlets who don't believe in GR right here.
What a nice spectacle.

Ladies and gentlemen the reading comprehension of a pure sci fag is shown in this post.
Bait rating (BR): 1/10

GPS don't use relativity.
Proven that they do.
My reading comprenhension being the problem.

What the fuck are you even talking about? Have you even read the whole thread?

You act like posted something others didn't post before you.

Are you this delusional?

BR: 0/10

It's always a mixed bag. I wanted to be an engineer mostly because I always tore things down, and like to figure out how they work and if there was a way to improve them. I also pissed on a 240 outlet, which imprinted a fascination for electricity. At points, the math classes were a detriment, particularly early on where the curriculum didn't provide immediate use for certain methods. Eventually you may gain an appreciation for some of it. As said, you learn it along the way, and is an indispensable tool for analysis. Most likely if you follow a career, odds are there is a highly developed tool to take much of the calculations out.
A friend gave me a chocolate cake for my birthday. Something went wrong and it was very dense. The melted icing that was way overdone didn't help. Still enjoyed it far more than had he just bought one from a store.

Thanks m8

Math gives the engineer inspiration about design.

>salon