I'm attempting to read through Lang's Basic Mathematics book, but the way he words his problems is odd...

I'm attempting to read through Lang's Basic Mathematics book, but the way he words his problems is odd. I had to search up the first practice question online because I couldn't understand it, but figured out it was very easy when someone helped me understand the wording.

What is a good way to wrap my head around this book? Everyone keeps telling me that this is the goat of all mathematics books that go over basic algebra, but is it really?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/
amazon.com/Algebra-Trigonometry-3rd-Judith-Beecher/dp/0321466209
amazon.com/Fundamentals-College-Geometry-Edwin-Hemmerling/dp/0471370347
amazon.com/Plane-Trigonometry-Richard-Heineman/dp/0070281874
springer.com/us/book/9780387746463
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwihzOr88czQAhUC42MKHfVUBX4QFggdMAA&url=http://www2.fiit.stuba.sk/~kvasnicka/Mathematics%20for%20Informatics/Rosen_Discrete_Mathematics_and_Its_Applications_7th_Edition.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH3C7XqwthDQCQm9qa5ta_JQQcMSA&sig2=twAF3kON_9RbnXzcFEV1Sg
amazon.com/Principles-Mathematical-Analysis-International-Mathematics/dp/007054235X
amazon.com/Advanced-Calculus-Applied-Undergraduate-Texts/dp/0821847910/
gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=C7B6A1826A0DAB4C434B0EE118CA087F
expirebox.com/download/984532c187071912c49909e25531c69e.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Lang is a terrible author

go read something else

>Lang is a terrible author
Linear Algebra is bad but Undergraduate Algebra is good.
I've heard Algebra has a lot of typos.
I don't know about the other books.

What tripped you up?

any 'work through the code examples' course online - something that doesn't use Matlab's god forsaken syntax?

Just keep chugging, eventually it starts to make sense.

He does have a very unusual style though.

Is there a reason why you're reading through this particular book, OP?

Do you have a suggestion?

Seconded, is there are better book of equal or greater efficacy? (Note the quasi-tautology, I like to make linguistic jokes.)

Simmons' Precalculus Mathematics in a Nutshell: Geometry, Algebra, Trigonometry
Cohen's Precalculus with Unit Circle Trigonometry

I think I already have these on my external HDD, I'll have a look and post results (for those looking for free books), thank you, user.

I would substitute Lang for a number of textbooks, each of which individually covers the topics he covers.

Some random recommendations from me:
>people.vcu.edu/~rhammack/BookOfProof/
>amazon.com/Algebra-Trigonometry-3rd-Judith-Beecher/dp/0321466209 amazon.com/Fundamentals-College-Geometry-Edwin-Hemmerling/dp/0471370347
>amazon.com/Plane-Trigonometry-Richard-Heineman/dp/0070281874
springer.com/us/book/9780387746463
>google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwihzOr88czQAhUC42MKHfVUBX4QFggdMAA&url=http://www2.fiit.stuba.sk/~kvasnicka/Mathematics%20for%20Informatics/Rosen_Discrete_Mathematics_and_Its_Applications_7th_Edition.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH3C7XqwthDQCQm9qa5ta_JQQcMSA&sig2=twAF3kON_9RbnXzcFEV1Sg

As far as I know, none of these require prerequisites.

Another question: how much math do you know already? Are you trying to teach yourself from the ground-up?

>Are you trying to teach yourself from the ground-up?
Yes, sir. However, I have Asperger's, so it should be fairly easy, right?

>Yes, sir.

That's great! Ditch Lang. I'm not sure why that book is recommended so frequently on here -- it's a terrible first exposure to mathematics.

Here is my recommendation to you on how you should proceed: read the Algebra and Trigonometry text I linked. While you're doing that, also read one of the two: Book of Proof OR the first chapter (logic and proofs) of the last book I linked (the direct download of Rosen's Discrete Mathematics). Do all the practice exercises that answers are provided for. Take notes as you read.

Then, with that foundation under your belt, pick up a calculus text. Stewart's text is what you typically see in undergrad courses, and is a good starting point. It is made to teach calculus to an audience of business, life, and social science majors that probably dislikes mathematics. However, Rudin's Spivak's and Apostol's texts are highly reccomended on Veeky Forums for a reason. You can try to start with one of those if you want -- if you feel overwhelmed, just go back to Stewart.

I was in your shoes at one point. I was obsessed with building up as much of a foundation of "Precalculus" subjects as I could before I tackled Calculus, mostly because I had never been exposed to Calculus before. In hindsight, I regret not diving into a calculus text sooner. IMO, algebra, trigonometry, and an understanding of predicate logic is all you need to effectively dive balls-deep into a calculus text book.

user, I don't know what to say (type)... this is honestly one of the most accepting, helpful and insightful posts I have ever witnessed in my time on Veeky Forums.

Thank you.

I'm impressed, this is the friendliest post I've ever seen on Veeky Forums. Based on what you've written I'm going to take a crack at calculus now. Thanks user!

I recommend Sheldon Axler's "Algebra and Trigonometry". It's a fantastic book, written by the same guy who wrote "Linear Algebra Done Right"

>le most friendliest post
newfags

four years ago this was an avrage post.

OP here, I appreciate your candor user. I've screencapped your posts for future reference, and I'll be dropping Lang now in favor of your setup.

Thanks!

>Algebra and Trigonometry
I've got serious issues finding this one on line.
Are any of the others viable alternatives? They're nowhere close in length.

subjective.

i found everything he's written to be succinct, enlightening, complete, and laid out in a logical fashion.

to each his own.

if something is'nt working for you, it's not really the author's fault. the onus is on the student to find out the best way to learn, because it's subjective, individualistic, and we are all at different levels of mathematical maturity.

You're retarded m8. Basic Mathematics pretty much sums up all you need to know in order to tackle calculus. I finished Lang in 1 week, it was a great refresher, and a great exercise. It provided me with all the necessary knowledge to tackle Spivak.

Kill yourself my man

What is Rudin's Calculus book?

this get used for honors at many schools i
amazon.com/Principles-Mathematical-Analysis-International-Mathematics/dp/007054235X

f you want something a little lower
amazon.com/Advanced-Calculus-Applied-Undergraduate-Texts/dp/0821847910/

Oh, what is the difference between learning Real Analysis and ignoring Calculus or learning Calculus and then Real Analysis?

If you legitimately believe there's no such thing as a bad textbook you clearly have never been to school anywhere.

Lang isn't often horribly unclear, and that poster didn't even really accuse him of being unclear. The reason Lang is bad for new students is that everything he writes is so autistic (in the sense of being dry def-thm-proof with minimal informal sections) that it makes Rudin look like a fun-loving joker. Dumping young students who aren't on the spectrum themselves into this style of writing is just going to discourage them.

You don't just get to yell SUBJECTIVE any time you disagree with what somebody says. That's tumblr-tier behaviour.

kys Lang's linear algebra is great and popped my math cherry

>Pushing how you learned onto others.

Kill yourself man.

>"I've got serious issues finding this one on line."

Protip: no STEM student could live without LibGen:

gen.lib.rus.ec/book/index.php?md5=C7B6A1826A0DAB4C434B0EE118CA087F

>"I was obsessed with building up as much of a foundation of "Precalculus" subjects as I could before I tackled Calculus"
Literally me

Thank you, good sir. This advice is excellent.

All textbooks should have a target audience. If that audience doesn't understand after reading the book, then the book is poorly written.

Now I agree completely with . I wouldn't ever recommend Lang to somebody just starting to learn a subject. If you already have some knowledge or need to look up some results, his books can be great. But they're generally not good as introductory texts.

I'm reading a textbook right now who is strictly based on dem-theo-proof-examples + additonal remarks if needed.

Find it much better than the other one about the same subject with tons of useless graphics and introductions.

Yeah Lang is good for people who's down for business.
Brainlets need flashy colored books with pictures and without a single proof before starting to do maths, because they need to "get the feel of it"
Pitiful indeed

Anyone one some Springer textbooks?

Also here is a list of all the books:
expirebox.com/download/984532c187071912c49909e25531c69e.html

I think my professor said it best when it comes to Lang's books:
>He writes the most beautiful proofs but you can't understand a word of them.

Looks like the MAM torrent. Is it perchance?

wtf is the mam torrent? Maybe?(It has been a long time since I downloaded the torrent.)

Bump. Anyone has info on this?

then maybe i'm a little bit smarter than the average person.

i did alright in high school maths, taught myself how to program (not an achievement), then caught the maths bug, now i'm doing a MS in math. his books are great, imo.

i'd recommend it to others, and if they don't get it, maybe they can try something else like, idk, going back to algebra 1.

i think if you can't understand what he's writing, you better start with basic mathematics, page i.

ah, couldn't have said it better.