Should we worry about reading speed?

Should we worry about reading speed?

I took some phony test a couple days ago, and it said that I read at 250wpm, with a comprehension rate of 100%, of which was barely above average, even bordering painfully average. It took me around five days to finish Siddhartha, reading for about an hour a day, and about the same time span to read Candide.

I just picked up a copy of Karamazov; how many eons will it take for me to read this masterpiece? Should I even bother?

Here's the test I mentioned: readingsoft.com

Other urls found in this thread:

fourhourworkweek.com/2009/07/30/speed-reading-and-accelerated-learning/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

1. its not a race
2. youll find your reading speed will improve dramatically on its own without any special effort from you as long as you keep reading consistently and naturally at whatever pace is comfortable right now
3. do not fall into the trap of speedreading/skimming

i understand it's hard and it's easy to get impatient, but if you just stick at it for even a few weeks you'll see noticeable improvements.

Read Crime and Punishment first. It's shorter and will acclimate you to Dostoyevsky so Bros K isn't so much of a slog.

I don't think it's important. If you enjoy reading what's the problem? Some people can read 100 pages in an hour and just read an hour a day because they think that's enough, while you could read 90 pages in 3 hours. If you're enjoying it, what's the deal?
I'm an average or very slow reader. I get about 30 pages in a hour or so. I wish I could read faster so I could read more books and shit, but I guess time will tell if I can or not.
My mother reads really fast. She told me she reads in diagonal, wich makes her read a lot faster. I tried this many tiemes and it works, but a lot of times I miss some words or even whole sentences.

>Should we worry about reading speed?
No

unless you read as fast as a toddler

I do understand that it isn't a race. I'm new to Veeky Forums, and before all this, I was a very casual reader. Lurking here for a while awakened in me a savage, still half-asleep, that wanted to read everything you guys recommended to each other: Infinite Jest, Siddhartha, Karamazov, Karenina, etc.

I want to experience so much in such little time, that I do get ahead of myself. It turns reading into a chore, instead of the self-fulfilling experience that it should be.

Thanks, you and are right, I should just enjoy the ride, and not work myself too hard this early on into my new found hobby.

Hey, you know this problem you never knew you had? Well, you're fucking terrible at it and it's ruining your life. Luckily, we got just the perfect solution for you to fix it for a monthly fee.. :^)

That's good, I'm happy for you.
But don't read Infinite Jest, that one's actually a meme that just got way out of hand. Even DFW fans here say it's his worst.

You'll definitely want to consult the reading list charts, the works of authors are generally listed in terms of readability, don't just tackle the magnum opus of each great writer or you'll burn out.

What you just said is in the same vein as what this user said. I just might take up C&P before Karamazov.

I wasn't planning on reading Infinite Jest, really. The meme magic isn't strong enough with that one.

really glad you get the point user. It's great to have interest, also, getting a goal of books per week is more important than speed itself. I know at my reading speed (like I say 30 pages per hour) if I just read enough every day I can get through 1 or 2 books (200 pages each) in one week. That's like 60 pages a day, wich is 2 hours reading per day. If you enjoy it then it's great to have this "goals" and then trying to get more and more if that's what you wish for.

>Even DFW fans here say it's his worst
that's because most everyone here, here being Veeky Forums on general, thinks good taste requires having the contrarian opinion (i.e., "I know better and the rest of you are dumb;" it's the laziest way to feel superior to others)

Shirt hair white skin my type desu

i can only read about 30 pages in an hour, maybe more if its really good

but it doesnt bother me at all

I seem to get 180 with the op but 250 with this

fourhourworkweek.com/2009/07/30/speed-reading-and-accelerated-learning/

The terrorizers is a great film, great choice senpai.

Got 460 wpm and 100%. If I try to speed read I have gotten about 1000 on some of these tests, but I don't read that quickly when I'm reading for enjoyment. If I went on a hiking trail I wouldn't run to get to the end of it quickly as possible. There's more than just words and plot to get out of something like Siddhartha or The Brothers Karamazov. If it really bothers you work on it, but don't get hung up on it.

Would you look at a painting as quickly as possible without bothering to take in its essense? Would you set a movie or song at 2x speed just to finish it quicker? Does speeding through a piece of art make you enjoy it?

Enjoy the booo at whatever speed makes you enjoy it more. I actually do use speedreading techniques when trying to absorb large amounts of information in shorts amounts of time (cramming for tests. When you're asked to interpret information in little time) but I would never speedread a novel I enjoy for its prose.

I took an online test once that happened to put alice in wonderland as the sample text and I actually scored below the average because I enjoyed reading it so much.

432 WPM and 100%. I wonder what percentage of the population actually reads at 1000 WPM.

>worrying about speed

literally the mark of a plebb

Speed is determined by the book, not the reader.

919 wpm, 82% comprehension.

Fuggen get at me

There is no need to insult, friend.

You're letting yourself be too pressured by other Veeky Forumsizens. This board is one big circle jerk that either don't understand what they're talking about, or are pathetic manchildren that want to be elitist. There are no standard rules to reading. Read at whatever pace you like, or whatever suits your experience. It isn't plebian to read slower, and to be afraid of being average is just fucking pathetic. I probably read slower than you, OP, but that's because I love great prose and prefer to take time to read, reread, and rereread to absorb it. That shit's important to me. Read because you want to, not so you can just have lit knowledge and know what other /b/tards in disguise are discussing.

Tl;dr you are peer-pressured, cocksucking faggot.

comprehension speed is more important

>Grimes has an EP called Darkbloom

is she our girl?

Again, there is no need to insult, friend.

As I said in a previous post to another user, I am only worried about reading speed because I feel as if my window of opportunity to experience new (new to me) literature is closing. There is much to experience in this world, and in my situation, I don't have much time.

However, yes, you are correct. Understanding and appreciating prose within my own pace will be of much greater use to me in the long run.

Thanks.