Is this board really America centric is is it just me? When I see all the books discussed here...

Is this board really America centric is is it just me? When I see all the books discussed here, I get this impression that these are the books that Americans would read in their literature classes. I neves see my favourites mentioned. I rarely ever see contemporary books from non-Anglo authors. It's just the American circlejerk, some classic Russians and Nabokov.

Privet

This board shows how much of a failure the American education system is. Most people here seem to worship mediocre 20th century American writers, and that's all they know.

I agree. Could you share with us some of your favorite contemporary books?

Jose Saramago, Mario Vargas Llosa, Viktor Pelevin, Vladimir Sorokin, Bret Easton Ellis.

Media discussion is very prone to lowest common denominator syndrome because while only the patricians will have read some obscure French cunt, both the plebs and the patricians will have read Hemingway or something.

The more people read something the more likely it is to be discussed. And Veeky Forums is an English language image board of course.

Doesn't say Veeky Forums.us either.

So is it safe to say /li/ is mostly Burgers or at least Anglos and there isn't too much left for us rest of the folks? I guess I can participate in Nabokov threads and various meme philosophy discussions, but as for the rest, I'm not even sure if Infinite Jest is translated to my language.

>Bret Easton Ellis

No, because unlike our overseas friends most europeaa can speak two languages and are also well versed in US literature.
I'm italian and I've read most american calssic. So I can discuss them.
On the other hand it's a shame that noone here will ever recognize Pavese greatness

There used to be a much more diverse range of works discussed here, from different countries and time periods. The board has really declined in the past two years.

The posting of the top 100 list was a tragedy, as was the creation of Veeky Forums. The defense of genre fiction and the posting of highschool reading list books has skyrocketed.

Veeky Forums is an English language imageboard - most of the posters are anglos, so naturally more English language literature is discussed than literature in other languages. If a French Veeky Forums existed for example, I guarantee you they would not discuss Pynchon or Shakespeare or Milton very often at all. Reading translations of foreign language literature is fun, but it remains partly the work of the translator. Reading books in their native language will always be more worthwhile and opens up a deeper discussion about a work's prose and poetry.

BEE amd Saramago were formerly favorites of the board, Llosa kind of was.
Veeky Forums is predominantly American as a whole, I remember someone did a survey about where we live and it appeared that Veeky Forums is actually less American than the site at large.
Just make threads about what you want to, see if you get replies. If you're just posting a thread along the lines of "let's talk about Llosa" nobody will reply for two reasons
1. Memers only reply to shitty OPs like that for meme books or writers
2. The few remaining good posters don't care to reply to such a shit OP.

Fuck you, I like his books.

There are a metric dickton of Americans 320 god damn million, and it's an English language board. You don't expect it to be dominated by by far the largest English speaking group?

Get over yourself you galactic faggot. And most Italians suck at English anyway.

>There are a metric dickton of Americans 320 god damn million, and it's an English language board. You don't expect it to be dominated by by far the largest English speaking group?
There's nothing wrong with this board being dominated by native English speakers, what's sad is that they show little interest in literature. There are many people here who haven't read the great western authors and genuinely think that writers like Pynchon and DFW are literary geniuses.

I don't think anyone here genuinely believes that. Most faggots posting here these days are here for the memes or the """"bantz"""".

>So is it safe to say /li/ is mostly Burgers or at least Anglos and there isn't too much left for us rest of the folks?
The problem is that non-Anglos read all kinds of things including Anglos, but Anglos only read themselves, so that whenever an Anglo and non-Anglo will discuss literature it will be theirs since the beady eyed fucks can't into anything beyond their own culture.

The American and Canadian education systems do not reward any extracurricular language studies, nor do they have mandatory second-language courses. Despite Canada having French as one of its official languages, I has never taught more than a handful of phrases. Most introduction courses, which are only offered in a few public high schools, are likely to be taught by pissant Quebecois that will yell at you for not having the innate gift of French -- since such a divine thing must be innate to all thinking men.

Some middle schools also have introduction courses, but those are also taught by pissant Quebecois, or by gym teachers that barely know the language but must justify receiving their salary somehow.

And, as mentioned, if attempted before this through independent study, you will receive no support and are likely to suffer socially, since studying is not a thing in elementary schools, or give up entirely. Also, Canada and the US are significantly larger than any European nation besides Russia. Were my neighbors in British Columbia speaking a foreign language (the Asian population there is growing, so it could occur), then I would likely have learned their language. If South Dakota and North Dakota developed their own languages after their split, then they are likely to learn eachothers.

However, when spatially speaking the majority of North America speaks one language, and public education is known to cut funding to much more valuable aspects of education than a language that won't be spoken outside of the classroom, this entire argument against North America's somewhat monolingual nature falls apart.

Also, despite Canada having much more in terms of immigrants, foreign students, and the like, these individuals are known to be extremely xenophobic. They are like to group up with others that speak their language, and speak only that (and then complain that their English isn't improving), and even mock natives. If they are business owners, they will only hire the friends of their children and others that speak their language -- that's actually illegal here I believe but for whatever reason is never applied to these minorities -- and although rarely, may not do business with natives or even other immigrants that do not speak their language. The handful that do converse with natives are often shunned by their people as well.

Whuh? I was required to take language courses in high school and college in burger land. To get a Core 40 (standard diploma in Indiana) you needed two semesters of a language. Yes, it isn't enough to be fluent, but it is better than nothing. To get honors you need 4 semesters.

That's where you are, for the nation to be considered majority-bilingual it must be present from elementary school on, hopefully with a literature course or three upon reaching high school.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell
>greeks
>19 and 20 c "patrician" literature circlejerk
>dostoyevsky, because edginess
>shakespeare, because being anglo
>ironic and unironic bibleposting
>john green memes
>hating on ya and fantasy

You forgot:
>Nietzsche, Marx spooksposting

Also, *sniffs*.

Ya dude the only reason we talk about Shakespeare is because he's white

Go fuck yourself

Veeky Forums is generally America/Anglo centric

>being Anglo is being white
Found the anglo

>>dostoyevsky, because edginess
How is Dostoyevsky edgy ?

>beads
>white

most of us can only speak english so it isn't surprising

Go cry somewhere else about it, this is an english speaking board so of course we are going to only talk about books in English, with the exception of the better foreign works, that's because good translations don't ever exist for the obscure stuff.

I exclusively read American lit.

AMA