What subjects should a math undergrad contain?

What subjects should a math undergrad contain?

>linear algebra
>real analysis
>group theory
>probability
>optimization/applied
>some stats
>numerical analysis

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Hamming
twitter.com/AnonBabble

All those are mandatory subjects in my major.

Add topology and complex analysis.

Related-ish question: I'm a CS major, but I want to have a solid mathematic basis as well - I'm interested in some of the more mathematic theoretical side of comp sci. I'm taking linear algebra already, what else would be helpful for understanding algorithms, logic (especially digital logic) and other more computing focused parts of math?

>lel computer """science"""
If you think that's trash, I'm dual majoring in that and creative writing. Feel free to roast me for it.

The roast of:
The only thing more gay than your major is your boyfriend!

I would recommend at a minimum:
Graph theory
Number theory
Theory of automata and computability
Probability and statistics

They will be helpful in understanding algorithms as well as the limits of algorithms.

>tfw kissless virgin
t-thanks

Thanks for these, will try to get into them. When you say probability and statistics I assume you don't mean basic freshman econ-tier stuff? What kind of stats class should I take? Or just something from the math department that's in the 300-400 range?

The most important math classes for a CS guy are numerical analysis and linear programming (optimization). Proofs and algebra if you do not mind pure math.

He will cover all that in his CS courses.

no you fucking faggot
a course aimed at non ee engineers
ee people take two courses: probability them random process

fuck off with the CS bullshit, niggers
t. not OP

Numerical analysis is probably less important than graph theory and combinatorics, unless you focus heavily on scientific ccomputation.

Anything involving Stochastic Processes should put you on good footing probability-wise.

cs is great to have because it's piss easy if you can handle math and can land you some serious dosh straight out of school. you'll be head and shoulders above your classmates who've never seen a proof before and "just want to learn to make games lol".

t. math/cs joint major who landed a 90k job straight out of school

At the minimum

Calculus
Vector Calculus
Matrix Algebra
ODEs
PDEs
Proofs
Point Set Topology
Real Analysis (Rudin)
Analysis on Manifolds
Complex Analysis
Theoretical Linear Algebra
Abstract Algebra (Artin/Herstein)
Algebraic Topology
Modern Geometry or Differential Geometry
Probability

>>He will cover all that in his CS courses.
>Thinks discrete math is all there is to know about them.

top quack

actual collection of books that will cause autism

>tfw I went for the memes and went to engineering school
3 years in and I suddenly realise that it's Pure Math that I like and not the shiny computer things. And in my country reorienting after 3 years in higher education is not regarded well.

Most of those topics are studied in master degree math program outside of the top undergrad math programs. Try to take a few extra math courses and finish your degree then go for a masters.

The author of this book has also written a text which treats of the elementary branch of analysis which was discovered by Newton and Leibniz. The title?

Quackulus. :^D

B-but I'll totally make 300k starting teaching 14-year-olds trigonometry!

Linear algebra from Hoffman and Kunze or Axler. This is where one will learn how to do proofs, no separate course necessary.

Analysis from Rudin or Rosenlicht.

Algebra from Artin or Herstein.

Analysis on manifolds from Spivak.

That's it. These last three are the only topics with real depth behind them. After learning them you can move on to Measure theory(Rudin) and complex analysis, more algebra(Lang), and differential geometry. Other fields open up as well like algebraic topology, number theory, and algebraic geometry(after much work).

Why do you think you'll need it? I recommend just learning more advanced CS theory although I'm not sure what to recommend for that. If you think you'll need math, learn all of the topics above except for the last one. I'm pretty sure simpler topics like graph theory and number theory will be included in CS books so you don't need to learn the math side of them.

just asking, geez

fuck u

A quick google search gives me the impression that this is functions but with random variables? I'll keep an eye out for that term in class descriptions

>that last book

already too late, thanks for the concern though

Mostly I'm trying to avoid being "le program gaems" kid, although I also just enjoy math. I struggle with it, but the challenge is a refreshing change of pace from all these bullshit English classes I'm in. I also can't help but feel like a solid grasp of the math involved in CS will just make me better at understanding and working through the subject.
>you don't need to learn the math side of them.
Unless I can get all the underlying math in my head, I don't do very well with algorithms, etc. And I want to be able to do proofs to fuel my autism and in case I ever really lose it and decide I want to go into academics

Thanks for the answers, everybody, sorry I hijacked your thread, OP. I'm still fairly early on in my college run, so I have plenty of time to plan ahead. I'll check out a few of the books in that pic and watch for probability/stats, numerical analysis, etc. Veeky Forums is a good board.

Add functional analysis and differential geometry

those are all required at my CS program in the US

idk why everyone is saying cs is a joke. i graduated with only a 3.6 gpa a few months ago and my salary is $130k a year rn. there were no "vidyagames" neckbeards in my school, it was all indians/international asians and then some of those "cali cs people" that looked like they belong from the tv show silicon valley

>i graduated with only a 3.6 gpa a few months ago and my salary is $130k a year rn. there were no "vidyagames" neckbeards in my school, it was all indians/international asians and then some of those "cali cs people" that looked like they belong from the tv show silicon valley

How does this refute "cs is a joke"?

should be learned by all math majors:
Linear algebra
Basic Analysis
Topology
Complex Analysis
Differential geometry
pure maths oriented ODEs and PDEs courses
Number Theory

I would also try to learn some:
differential topology
algebraic topology, basics of homological algebra and category theory
riemannian geometry
basic commutative algebra, basic algebraic geometry,
maybe some more number theory courses.
measure theory, functional analysis, fourier analysis
rudiments of probability theory
and take some extra courses either for breadth, or going into more depth in the field that most interests you

Not so absurd if you went into undergrad planning on being a math major. Definitely not as much as some 'ideal programs" most people on this board post, and yet a good survey of various subjects imo. You should be well prepared for grad school (i probably had preparation in

This is honestly a solid program that anyone can do if they work hard. Though 6 classes a semestr at the upper level is pushing it. I know child prodigies who couldn't do a 6 class a semester workload for upper undergrad/grad level classes. Not even the top undergrads at harvard/princeton/mit/stanford do that. Unless the "electives" are for topics/intermediat grad level courses without huge problem set workloads.

>he thinks continuous functions exist in the physical world when the planck length is a thing.

it's all discrete, bro. it's aaaaalll discrete.

>Increasingly... the application of mathematics to the real world involves discrete mathematics... the nature of the discrete is often most clearly revealed through the continuous models of both calculus and probability. Without continuous mathematics, the study of discrete mathematics soon becomes trivial and very limited. ...The two topics, discrete and continuous mathematics, are both ill served by being rigidly separated.
>en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Richard_Hamming

You'll have plenty of time to never finish your novel while you write code for some dude's mobile app

Add PDEs and ODEs

>child prodigies
>actually good at anything
some kid with a calculator in his head makes for a neat news story, but actual meaningful contributions are made the good old fashioned way: hard work.