Why do you still buy books

why do you still buy books

>Why are you only 18

Books are less strenuous on your eyes and many texts aren't available digitally

>Books are less strenuous on your eyes

I'm all for a live and let live philosophy so I dont care about the whole paper vs digital discussion but that's factually not true

What is e-ink?

Also, texts not available digitally are not worth reading.

I only buy new books to support the authors.

Pirate everything else.

to fill my bookshelf

This kills the phone

some books I can't find on libgen

>many texts aren't available digitally

None that matter

I buy some books but I mostly download and read on my phone.

Heh owned

How is the tiny text of certain books harder on the eyes than a device with a natural font

Hell you can get shadows on books from the other page at times

iPhone reading master race I keep a fucking library on my phone and I can read anywhere

Yeah, this.

I want to be surrounded by a comfy library. The pages smell good. It's the novelty of the novel that keeps me from transitioning to digital. That, and when I try to read a book on my phone or something, I don't feel the progress.

I read much more quickly on e readers as they by design invoke less hassle, but the flip side of that is because I'm moving more quickly through text and more easily, I find I retain much less of it. If I buy books, I'm more inclined to recall their contents because they occupy my mind not only as ideas but also objects in and of themselves. I also prefer to take notes in books as opposed to e readers; I'm more attentive with a pencil in my hand.

I enjoy reading, but i subconsciusly know that i can display books on my shelf as if they were trophies. Thats why i buy physical books.

yeah, and not even iPhone required. Any android 5 inch smartphone is a fantastic e-reader. Try the app Cool Reader. It's a great app that has many options and allows you to set EXACTLY what color of background and font you want. Has a fully configurable status bar (font size, color, title, page, progress bar, percentage read). It has an index, bookmarks.... It's just perfect. I'm surprised there's not much talk about reading on the phone, and when there is, it's put down as a blasphemy

perfect description.

imagine you have a bunch of latin poetry carved into stone tablets. they'd be a pain in the ass to read, but i'd be certain to retain my experience with catullus carved into stone more than i would had i only read it in a paper anthology. Same story with kindles, only moreso. all your books are contained within a single object, designed to be highly streamlined and easy to read. yet somehow the books go through me like water. you might think that stripping away the "hassle" of manipulation, we might become closer to the text as an ideal in itself, but in fact the texts become ghostly. this is my experience, anyway. I also love sharing a paper book with friends, and I really like well-constructed books, but I'm just a faggy papersniffing lit student who unironically appreciates aesthetic experiences so w/e desu

all that being said the more media the better

I have a Kindle and some books I get physically some I don't. If I feel it's important I get a quality long lasting edition that hopefully someone down the line gets inspired to read.

Maybe you should pay some attention while reading instead of fantasizing about your animu waifu.

basically this

I don't, I shill for kindle instead.

It's easier to take notes in them, a lot of the academic texts and specialized works I need aren't available as ebooks, I can easily cross-reference and flip around with physical books. They're much easier to teach from in general.

They also make my house look nice.

Poetry formats like shit in epubs.

reading on your phone strains eyes, no?

thats the reason i bought my e reader

Reading on a phone is horrible for your eyes, just get a damn Kindle, it's a hundred dollars or so and you'll use it for years. Had mine for three years, hundreds of books read. (Ok, maybe dozens)

iPhones don't even have AMOLED display, you're not fooling anyone.

proof right there that e-readers are for consumer-minded people who don't read much

>e-reading

No, they're for the consumer minded who read a lot.

I DO have an e-reader. Yes, with e-ink. It's pretty comfy but I find myself very often in the situation where I have a dead moment (bus stop, dentist waiting room, break at work, etc,) and I didn't bring my e-reader with me. But the phone is always with me. So, when I'm reading a particular book (be it paper, or e-reader) I have the habit of, whenever possible, to keep a digital version of it on my phone, just in case I happen to have half an hour on my hands and no book to read.
And no, it doesn't strain my eyes because I can set black background and gray font, or any combination of colors, to make it perfectly comfy, and also the screen brightness is adjustable.
It's the best of both worlds guys.

I forgot to mention, I buy several physical books a month. I love physical books. But I would need a separate room full of shelves or a private library to hold all the books I want to read, plus it would cost a fortune

shill harder

nobody cares

>projecting this hard

>Projecting projections