So, I've only read pic related by Haruki Murakami, but I feel like it probably isn't his best...

So, I've only read pic related by Haruki Murakami, but I feel like it probably isn't his best. Any suggestions on which of his books I should read next?

His books are for numale leftists and women

just watch monogatari series

I don't really give a fuck who you think his books are "for." Are you the kind of fag who won't read certain authors because of LE MEEMEE? I'm sorry you have such a narrow view of the world of literature.

Jesus, not being able to competently shit on Murakami of all authors is too pathetic too ignore.

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle is his best

We took the bait, user.

This

Thanks! I'm about to go to the book store now, which is why I needed suggestions.

I agree

1Q84 isn't really better or worse than other Murakami, it's just pure strain. If you dig his style for being comfy and undemanding adventures in middle-aged Japanese man sexy wish fulfillment, then it's all pretty much the same stuff. I really like 1Q84, personally, even if the ending is utter shit. I enjoyed reading it enough to compensate.

Got this instead of Kafka on the Shore. Hopefully, I'll like it.

I liked 1Q84 the part with the NHK salesman scared the shit out of me

It's a novel with a lot of really effective moments and characters framed around two boring protagonists who it's hard to care about. This isn't much of a problem until the novel becomes all about them in the final third (except for based Ushikawa).

it's literally one of his worst.
hard boiled wonderland and the end of the world, dance dance dance, wind up bird chronicle, and kafka on the shore are his 'best.' but his shorter novels have merits too. wild sheep chase and norwegian wood are probably my favorites of those.

you are wrong, it's Wild Sheep Chase

wild sheep chase isn't even the best novel in that series. totally inferior to dance dance dance.

From best to worst in my opinion:
1Q84
Kafka on the Shore
----POWER GAP
Tsukuru Tazaki...
Hard-boiled Wonderland...
----POWER GAP
Norwegian Wood
The Wind Up Bird...
Sputnik Sweetheart

anybody read after dark? pic related got me interested. so far i've read 1q84 and i'm reading norwegian wood atm.
1q84 got really shitty after a while of reading the same thing over and over again. a review got me hyped up for it, but it seems like they were pulling shit out of their ass just to write SOMETHING about it.
norwegian wood is ok so far, realyl comfy, but it bothers me that he used the same elements again (earlobes, aimlessly wandering through life mc, magical girl nobody understands, absent parents, women with dependency issues, girl that has very little material possessions, friend commits suicide, a weird duo of a tall and short guy with nicknames...), and i have a feeling it isn't the only time he's done this.
basically, i'm wondering if after dark is more of the same again, and if it's at least a cozy night-time adventure type of story.

All Murakami books contaim the same elements, but it's not like he is doing this by mistake or because he lacks ideas: I think Murakami is trying to make the reader connect between his stories, which produces more answers and meanings for the written events.
I once saw a comment here who someone that believes that all Murakami protagonists are the same guy, which really got me thinking more about that collective aspect of the Murakami work.

i get that authors have a style, certain stuff just ends up being similar, but not exactly the same, to the point, that this felt like a re-write to me.
>all Murakami protagonists are the same guy
sounds like a nice theory, but in the two books i mentioned before, the mcs have had completely different childhoods, so it doesn't add up. granted, i haven't read any of his other books, so i dunno if he has a multiverse or something. (where different versions of the same characters exist, the 1q84 doen't really fit the bill here, since there isn't an explanation if alternative versions of tengo and aomame exist.)
also,if the theory is right, this guy must be one tough bastard, to stick his dick in crazy all the time.

Does Tengo live the literary lifestyle?

>tfw fell for this meme
NEVER, EVER AGAIN

My favorites are, "Hard Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World," and "Kafka on the Shore."

His collection of short stories, "After the Quake," has some good ones in it, as well.

I thought Pinball 1973 was pretty good too, Hear the Wind Sing didn't really hit any notes with me.

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle > Kafka on the Shore > After Dark > Dance Dance Dance > Norwegian Wood > 1Q84 > after the quake > Hear the Wind Sing > A Wild Sheep Chase > South of the Border, West of the Sun > The Elephant Vanishes > Sputnik Sweetheart > Pinball, 1973 > Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman > Hard-Boiled Wonderland > Colorless Tsukuru

The fucking twins man.
the fucking twins
The books were really comfy, I liked them a lot. Much more than 1q84, though I guess it's because the Rat books are my favorite ones of all of them.

>TWUBC first
>Tsukuru last
>Norwegian Boner before 1Q84
DELET THIS

>1Q84
Wtf is this? Sounds like a rip-off of 1984

Make that worst to best and you've got a deal

The title refers to 1984.
In Japanese the number 9 (kyuu) is pronounced just like Q in English.
Though, I don't know why Murakami latinized it as "kew".
Only the first half of Tsukuru was good. After the explanation of his alienization it becomes a lot worse.

Murakami is overrated shit lmfao. Especially The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. A haphazard mess of a book. Murakami literally doesn't plan out his stories and he admits/even boasts about this. He's an insult to literature.