How would you convince a STEM type (who only reads sci-fi/fantasy) to start reading literary fiction?

How would you convince a STEM type (who only reads sci-fi/fantasy) to start reading literary fiction?

> to start reading literary fiction?
I wouldn't.

This

Exactly the same way you would convince a humanties type to learn more about STEM

Leave people to read what they want, exploration of Literature is a selfish thing, you can only offer books etc.

The wonders of the universe and the immediate usefulness of technology are more easily observed than the things one might get out of reading literature. It's not symmetrical.

I didnt say that it was as easy only that the method was the same

>than the things
Wow man, great argument. Things huh?

And I'm a guy very much in STEM

>a STEMlord to start reading literature
we don't need a bunch of people who are basically trained to think as robotically and singularly as possible

"It's the same business with the complexities of relationships and the human character but you can read it without the distraction of picking the fantastical elements to death. I know that sometimes fantasy and sci-fi elements make a story better by either removing an emotionally charged socio-economic, political, or religious context from a narrative and that those elements can be fun in and of themselves, but sometimes it is also fun to enjoy a story without that lens."

... We already have enough of those, thank you.

Finished that for you

Wow, why the hate for stem kids? They are superior, you know.

Give them blood meridian or ratners star or some pynchon. Thats your best bet

I'm a stem type who used to read genre stuff.
I think what convinced me to pursue literature is that it improves me, my mindset, my perspective. Reading Dostoyevsky and Woolf helps me understand people, that feelings are important, that relationships are important. The psychological analyses help compensate for my lack of empathy.
Reading Borges fills me with wonder for the world, if I can say that without sounding like a fag.
Conrad and Williams and McCarthy encourage me in a way. Remind me that life is to be endured, that I'm entitled to nothing, to pursue what I deem to be noble.

The idea that literature brings improvement was the selling point for me.

>wonders of the universe
Science does not see this
>usefulness
Irrelevant.
>improvement
Typical sperg thinking.

I'd give them some continental philosophy, it's like literature but also a fat word puzzle at the same time, like a brain-teaser with a little bit of poetry

Gravity's Rainbow is the only logical starting point

Uneasy about this answer.

STEM people would need an introduction to a style of writing such as Pynchon's.

Unless you're just saying Gravity's Rainbow because it's considered a "meme book"

>muh usefulness

when will this meme end?

It's about science and other autistic STEM interests, like Nazis and bananas

I'm aware what it's about. Pretty sure many would be put off by his confusing prose.

I doubt that. It's not even that confusing ya dingus.

I don't see why sf and fantasy are inherently not literary. But of course you could be a mouth breather and you'd just go back to Sanderson.

When people finally realise utilitarian philosophy is retarded.

You're confusing utilitarianism with instrumentalism.

They are the product of the same worldview applied to different things.

No they aren't. Back to Ethics 101.

I've found it to be a little difficult to keep up with, doubt many stem folks are as well read as you, so I'd imagine them being a little discouraged by it

Those people are off doing important things to progress our scientific knowledge, stemlords are the "make jokes about schrodinger's cat" types

By giving them 1984, it's the best entry-level book for someone into STEM.

I'm not well read in the slightest. I'm sure people who read mathematics, physics and other related obtuse jargon can get Pynchon

jesus christ you sound like a goddamned faggot, i can tell just from your short post. no wonder you have no friends. just fucking kill yourself, seriously (actually though, do it)

Are you agitated my friend? Take a chill pill.

I'm a phys/maths major, and all I read (beyond practical works in my subjects) is philo, lit fiction, and practical, non-fiction works in other subjects.

In fact, because of my background in sci/maths, I'm far more picky about those works than anything else.

You just give them something good, and have them read it. If you have to convince them to, have a highly rational, academic explanation as to why the book is worth their time - without spoiling it.

I have chemist, mathematician, and programmer friends and they read the same sort of stuff I do, so it's not impossible.

>those works

I meant sci-fi and fantasy, as you mentioned. Sorry for the lack of specificity.

A STEM-type who loves sci-fi/fantasy is an irredeemable nerd and you can just tell them to go fuck themselves because they'll never fuck anything in their Star Trek costume.
I'm a math student who doesn't read too much, but I make sure that what I read is thought-provoking or originally entertaining.
In conclusion, please refrain from associating sci-fi/fantasy fans with STEM people. Associate sci-fi/fantasy with losers.
This guy gets it I think.

Yes, I completely agree. [That guy from above post]

>In conclusion, please refrain from associating sci-fi/fantasy fans with STEM people. Associate sci-fi/fantasy with losers.

hooo boy that there is a gut punch, damn. Bet /sffg/ felt it from across the void.

Speaking as a STEMfag most STEM types are idiots who scarcely understand science let alone having the lack of autism to comprehend the immense worth that literary fiction provides. If I had to, I would just dump a copy of How to Read and Why in their lap and hope they're not too dense to understand it.

>STEM
>only reads sci-fi/fantasy
everyone in my science department is pretty well read, hell even more so that some of the people in the literature department. seriously, i had one professor who only read shakespeare and a few others, not knowing who camus was, and then i had my orgo professor introduced me to bolano when i was first starting out at the university. i brought it up that i was double majoring and he was real excited.