Samuel Beckett

Can some recommend my some good Beckett?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=3foDfYEj-sg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I can, I studied him extensively for my degree in Dublin. What are you looking for from him?

Finnegans Wake.

>yfw Beckett wrote it as Joyce dictated it from bed

Joyce retained all of Beckett's mistakes and editions.

Just what are his best works, and what i should read

Watt

In his plays, Waiting for Godot and Krapps Last Tape are his master works. If you read nothing else by him read these. I strongly recommend watching a recording of them being performed, so much is lost otherwise.
Happy Days is also very good, "Not, I" is a meme but its an important meme to consider a bit.

If you like his plays you'll enjoy his novels, the triology most importantly.

>left 5'11, right 6'1

>dear diary today OP made a shit thread

Have you read the biographies available (Bair, Knowlson, Cronin)? Would you recommend any of them? Did you do any research of his letters? I know they're a relatively recent release (the fourth volume's coming out later this year), but did you have access to them?
Also, could you recommend me any of the supplemental material available now? I'm not very adept at reading and grasping philosophy, but I've tried to read Schopenhauer, Descartes, Kant, Augustine, Berkeley just trying to glean some insight into his work. Also, how big of a deal is Geulincx?
I know it's kind of a lot to ask, but I've always been very curious about his work although I feel that my investigations have been haphazard at best.

Eh Joe is pretty cool.This is interesting, funny that it's Neeson, but a better narration would have made it better. I watched a live one that was really good.

youtube.com/watch?v=3foDfYEj-sg

No I have never read in depth into his biography while being aware enough about it.
For supplementary material my primary interest is in post-structuralist philosophy and there's a great many parrelels between Becketts work and the writings of Lacan, Derrida, Badiou, Foucault, Zizek. Many of them directly discussing his work. If you're not familiar with philosophy however you're better off with more specific secondary material which I myself did not spend much time considering.

Murphy, Watt, Trilogy, Godot, Krapps in that order

>not including Endgame
>saying Not I is a meme

You certainly are some scholar, aren't you?

>my primary interest is in post-structuralist philosophy and there's a great many parrelels between Becketts work and the writings of Lacan, Derrida, Badiou, Foucault, Zizek

Opinion: Dropped.

why did he write so much of his shit in french? how big a difference does it make reading his works in french as opposed to english?

le français est une langage supérieur, avec d'une charme intellectuelle très unique et croissant

sorry just training my poor french

en autres words, la langage française est supérieur à l'anglaise; la latter est très impassible et analytique, au passe que la former est dotée d'une sensibilité sensuel et incroyablement dramatique

top kek

Endgame is essential

In his words, he did it to avoid the inevitable adornment one tends to fall into when using one's own mother tongue.

It makes some difference reading him in French and in English, and it is quite exciting and rich to see the differences and Beckett's work as a translator and interpreter of his own work.

La langue française est supérieure* *, avec un** charme intellectuel** très unique et croissant

you must not forget to associate the adjective with its associated noun when it comes to its masculine or feminine nature. Another common mistake is to use English syntax, this is referred to as , this problem will fade with practice and reading

>en autres words

The obvious reason was to break free of the Joycean influence. His first novel, Dream of Fair to Middling Women, was written in English and you could say it's imitation Joyce. When he wrote in French he was able to and in doing so distance himself from the Joyce.

Notwithstanding, Murphy and Watt are masterful in their restrained virtuosity and show he'd progressed in leaps and bounds beyond More Pricks and A Dream.

that was orson scott key, dumbass

Weak bait

You mean Orson H. G. Wells.

Autres pavloves?

>Waiting for Godot and Krapps Last Tape
>If you read nothing else by him read these
In Beckett's own words, they're not even the important stuff. Stop perpetuating the disservice done him by those literary cockroaches and anthologists pegging him as a playwright because they needed one

What did you guys think of Waiting for Godot? Is there something to take from it or is it really just "pointless"? Are you supposed to make your own meaning?

I liked it a lot but can't really put my finger on why. It's a pretty sad story.

What do you guys think of Mercier and Camier? I'm yet to read it, but it's my first Beckett

Molloy, indisputably.

Not the best book to start Beckett with desu
Not that it's hard or anything, just middling

The trilogy. How It Is. Godot. Krapp's Last Tape. Endgame. Happy Days. Nohow On.

"In answer to a reviewer who claimed that the [Catastrophe] ending was ambiguous Beckett replied angrily: “There’s no ambiguity there at all. He’s saying, you bastards, you haven’t finished me yet.”

BASED

Delillo was right. Beckett was the last writer who could shape consciousness.

His radio plays are beautiful, as is his poetry.

>bait

Pretty sure it was a joke, dumbass

jesus

maybe this one

I've only read Malloy, whose protagonist is basically an itinerant NEET and as such is highly relatable

The influence of Joyce is apparent, as is perhaps Kafka in the more surreal passages

I recommend

Oh man, Murphy is brilliant.

>all he wanted was a place to sit