The STEM meme is just a myth right?

I find it hard to believe how anyone who has studied science, engineering or mathematics is not able to find employment or end up in dead end jobs hating their lives. I would expect this sort of fate more probable to a history and arts major.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

If you didnt choose an applied STEM degree with a healthy job pool you memed yourself. Looking at you accountants with degrees in pure math

Undergraduate education really has more to do with establishing a skillset. We talk about meme degrees, but what we really mean is people who have overspecialized in a field as an undergraduate. For instance aerospace engineering is often considered a meme degree because unless your school is really good your degree is essentially a glorified mechanical engineering degree with a bunch of stuff tacked on that you'll never actually use unless you pursue a master's degree. Companies that do aerospace aren't typically hiring engineers with just a bachelor's and no job experience. And even when they are they typically just hire mechanical engineers and train them. So your aerospace engineering degree ends up being just a worse mechanical engineering degree as far as employers are concerned. This is even more apparent in science where people pursue hard science bachelor's and then learn afterwards that all of the subjects they are interested in require a phd or master's to pursue, and daunted by the time investment instead choose to pursue industry positions where their qualifications essentially make them a slightly worse engineer. That's not to say no one will hire you, but engineering degrees are designed to fill industry positions and physics degrees are designed to teach you physics. In practice this means young scientists holding bachelors degrees enter the job market expecting to find jobs in science and instead find positions in engineering that companies view them as under qualified for. This means the job market for a hard science bachelor's holder is significantly more competitive when it comes to industry positions. Fewer jobs + more competition = unemployed young scientists.

A degree in liberal arts was shit 20 years ago and it's shit today and it will very likely be shit 20 years from now.

A stem degree was valuable 20 years ago but it's not as valuable today because of saturation but it's still more valuable than a liberal arts degree. It might be more valuable in the future what what's certain is that it will always be more valuable than a liberal arts degree

Shit guys ....

I'm majoring in physics. What can I even do with it aside from research and teaching?...or did I meme myself. ..

I'm also currently failing heat an waves...my future looks dim Veeky Forums...and I can't even calculate the intensity of that

maybe get some compsci courses and work your way into some physics based software engineering or something?

Only if u like it tho

Engineering companies value experience over where you went to school. Beyond having a degree you might have trouble in many engineering fields if you didn't do any internships or co-ops.

It might get easier if the economic growth continues and Trump restricts or reduces H-1B abuse, which he claims he did but I mean who knows. I personally think he will just change it so there are far less H-1Bs, have it so they can only use H-1Bs for jobs that earn over x amount of money (basically so unless they seriously need it they will hire entry level over indians and chinese), and that they have to try to hire Americans first.

Well, if you learn how yo code, there's a lot of bew potential in the market. It seems that companies prefer people who can model and with physical inution than someone with a Extense and formal baggage of math. And actuarial degrees are a meme for brainlets.

Well due to my classes I've had to take up another minor, computer science. I like it very much, though I'm in the entry class now, but I know I'll need that basic understanding for jobs....

Still, that begs the question....what can I do?

Probably... but as things stand , I might add well be a bracelet.
That being said, I know nothing of the field or requirements needed for these jobs, so I'll start looking into it.
See also

The STEM meme is because the future requires more programmers and maintence workers for automation robots

They wanted a surplus of qualified nerds so they could pay them minimum wage, so they sold the STEM meme and everyone bought it

The true redpill is buying some arable land somewhere and living off of it as much as possible.

im a compsci brainlet so here is a starting guide:

reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/wiki/faq

>inb4 leddit

In addition, the following (non-exhaustive) list will give you an idea of the core curriculum.

- basic programming (Object oriented Imperative) (I'd suggest C# or python, C++ is more hardcore, but doable)
- Computer artchitecture & networking (learn hardware, binary coding, machine language, etc.)
- basic formal logic (Set theory, Predicate logic, etc.)
- databases (applying set theory, SQL, etc.)
- Graphics (Linear Algebra)
- Datastructures (learn how to efficiently store, retrieve (and mroe) data. Learn induction, big O notation)
- programming lvl2: Design Patterns
- Functional Programming
- Concurrency (learn how to boost performance with parallel threads/processes)
- Discrete Mathematic (this is optional at my uni)
- Algorithms (this continues on datastructures)

this should cover the basics i think

I already know basic c++

So this a very helpful starting point, thanks. Wish me luck

>end up in dead end jobs

STEM allows you to move up in any career.

THIS NEEDS TO BE SAID
If you plan on learning algorithms it is IMPERATIVE that you take a course on discrete math. If you don't your life will be absolute hell.

Not everyone will make a shit tonne of money. Not everyone will make it in academia. Not everyone will be successful. A STEM degree will certainly improve your chances (the mathematical, the better), but ultimately your success will be determined by a few factors:
- How autistic are you?
- Are you willing to settle into an easy job?
- Do you wait for opportunities to come to you, or will you continue to work hard and make career advancements?
- Were you successful in your first degree?
- Do you live in a shit country with no opportunities for graduates without connections?
There are plenty of other variables, too.

Algorithms is the easiest subject in university.

Most of the time people who are miserable after college never grew up and learned how to process the world like an adult. Not joking. They probably went to school right after high school and with no experiences at all in the world decided what to do with themselves.

im debating on a dual bachelors in EE/Physics and then an MD. am i fucked job wise?

I graduated with a degree in mathematics and statistics in April and found a job as a data analyst by June.

You can't just rely on your degree though you need to increase your skill set. I volunteered my last year by working with PhD students who needed help with their analysis. I also took external courses to learn SAS and R because those skills continue to show up on job descriptions. My boss even told me that one of the reasons he hired me was because I worked so hard outside of my coursework to expand my knowledge. Your degree doesn't entitle you to a job.

Are you fucking kidding?