Most expensive book you own?

Most expensive book you own?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lqPOY3YMYe8
bookembooks.com/si/15931.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've a signed hardback copy of Jeffrey Archers Prisoner of Birth.

Probably worth about 20 bucks

Textbooks

Lmao

The yale shakespeare

Signed Infinite Jest (First Edition, not first printing).

A book on magic.

Infinite Jest

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, I think. Was over $40

A shitty textbook on statistics.

my diary desu

Well, I once found an obscure ancient greek manuscript. But no idea how much it's worth

He said expensive, not overpriced

Shakespeare's Metrical Art in hardback.

The Works of Geoffrey Chaucer; a Facsimile of the William Morris Kelmscott Chaucer, with the Original 87 Illustrations by Edward Burne-Jones

Paid about $120, probably worth $60 or less. Worth it though, to me. Beautiful book, and I love Chaucer.

show the inside, p

Probably this. Out of print. Prices averaged $600-700 USD over the past ten years. One seller is asking 1500+ right now, but I also see one for 135 and one for 200, the lowest prices I've seen yet. Not that I'd sell mine or buy a second copy, mind you.

A signed first press of Carpenter's Gothic.

Does it contain poems unavailable from other sources? I don't see why an anthology would be so expensive.
Cool that you have it, though.

Probably a 1912 collection of seven Walter Scott novels, including Ivanhoe.

They're in mediocre condition though so I doubt anyone would actually buy it.

Signed copy of the Bible

bullshit

>poems unavailable from other sources?
Yes. Some good shit, too. I never see more than 2 or 3 for sale at any given time. Apparently the first & only edition (in paperback, yet) was a small print run and it's been out of print since.

Pics?

A somewhat rare edition of "Burning Chrome", it values like 25-35 €
Also I have an autographed book by Bruce Sterling, I don't know if it makes it more expensive

My Brittanica GB set

Got signed copies of Kitchen Confidential, and House of Leaves.

Second edition compact oed. Like 60-70USD.

I have a copy of that. Is it seriously worth anything? I got it on clearance back when I was like 14

kek

ex·pen·sive
ikˈspensiv/Submit
adjective
costing a lot of money

youre a fucking retard, legitimately the stupidest post i have ever seen on this board. kill yourself please man

When my grandma died, we found a leather bound copy of the complete works of William Shakespeare that was printed in... The 1860s, IIRC.

Not sure who ended up getting that, but it fucking should have been me.

maybe user meant resale value?

some limited edition goethe shit with illustrations by some artist which goes for 100 eur or something

I (my dad bought them, i keep them on my shelf) own a few IMO publications. The price on the printed codes is something around 120 dollars/book.

Not that i read them for fun.

Mein Kampf part 1, translated in finnish. From the 40's. Germans read and approved the translation, so it's not abridged version and worth it. Paid about 55euros. Someone is selling them for 100.

I top kekked when I also read that the germans traced the translators generation back 7 generations to check that he was arayan. Super approved translation.

i have one of the collector's edition of Tales of Beedle the Bard that Amazon released a few years ago. they bought the handmade copy that JK Rowling made herself for like £2million and made a facsimile edition of it.

mine is still in its Amazon shipping box. i took it out once to see if it was one of the handful of signed copies (it wasn't). it was £50 i think. one sold on ebay last week for £175 although they are sometimes

Oh shit I forgot I owned that

Probably one of my harder to find Roleplaying Game supplements.

I couldn't guess at which one because I've been known to spend £50 or more on individual out of print items.

I have a replica of the Red Book of Westmarch from Tolkien. Apparently it's worth $350. Pretty neat.

I have the manuscript of Herman Melville's 'Ours in the Phillippines'

This. The only books I own that would be considered expensive on the second hand market deal with the occult.

>The Book of Sitra Achra
Gilded and Slipcased edition

>Liber Falxifer
Crimson Edition

>Works of Darkness

>Baneful Magick

>Evoking Eternity
1st edition

>Veneficium. Magic, Witchcraft and the Poison Path

>Argarizim - The Fall of Lucifer
Iconic special edition

A few other Ixaxxaar titles as well.

I'd guess a copy of 'Don't Panic' where Douglas Adams has opened the book to the middle pages and written across the both of them 'This book has been defaced by its author' and then signed underneath.

I have bought the anniversary edition of Spice and Wolf.
Cost me 110 EUR.

fag

That's mean.

kek

Probably my HHGTTG omnibus which I bought new for ~£10, or a second hand textbook I bought for ~£10. I buy most of my books from charity shops, and I only buy older editions of textbooks.

probably my first editions of Conrad's Lord Jim and Typhoon; but my 1838 edition of the complete works of Goldsmith is pretty valuable too

collected lyrics of Current 93 + afterword by Thomas Ligotti.

I pretty much go for the cheapest versions of books I can find, though. Would rather spend $100 across ten books than one.

Books are free in the 21st century as long as you have an Amazon® Kindle

A hardcover of Adventures in the Alaskan Skin Trade.

>Current 93
niceeeee

New it's worth easily $120

I have lots of antique books, but they're battered and the value is dubious, so possibly these two newer monsters.

A $2 notebook I bought at Walmart for two dollars.

biggest patrician in thread

i bought the special edition of england's hidden reverse.afaik that's the most expensive thing i own but i wouldn't be surprised if it's dirt cheap in 10 years.

You got ripped off my man

>using prices as a measurement of worth

#latestagecapitalism

Not valuable in monetary terms, but valuable to me: my great-grandfather's hymnbook that was issued when he was a POW.

Also got heaps of Nazi lit I could probably sell to some collector, among those a really bizarre children's biography on Hitler.

Some rare Russian experimental thing printed by Germans somewhere in the 30's.

My dad stole it from his professor in the 60's.
Brought it to an auction house to check, they said it would fetch well over 10K.

Can't bring myself to sell it because It's the only tangible memory of my dad that I have.

mad jealous. have wanted to buy the books by the lads from coil for years but they're mad expensive

Post photos, please.

i feel like the biggest patricians from /mu/ come to Veeky Forums.

/mu/ is so unbearably shit, yet I wish I had some platform to discuss (and find) new music.

youtu.be/lqPOY3YMYe8

Explain

Severed Heads are decent. Only reason I go on /mu/ these days is /bleep/ which is mostly shit too. That said my knowledge of lit is far behind that of music so I feel bad being so basic coming here and not having read so many of the classics

>I feel bad being so basic coming here and not having read so many of the classics
You dun got spooked.

german/spanish bilingual faust. 50 bucks

The original editions of EHR are still very expensive despite the reprints. People eat up anything "limited edition" that has to do with that era of music, so I doubt it will decline in value.

not so sure about that. Current 93 just has a lot of appeal for people interested in literature. It's lyrically dense with references to early Christian texts, folk/fairy tales, ghost stories, etc and David has a very deep interest in all those subjects (he translates apocryphal texts in his spare time apparently). Pretty sure there are James Joyce quotes on some of the earlier records.

He should have used 'valuable'

My most prized book are probably my hardcover Lattimore translations of the Iliad and the Odyssey.

The most expensive book I bought (not a textbook) was probably the Oxford Annotated Bible

A Catholic Bible with a sweet metal lock. Over a hundred years old

Books from my uny. Those fuckers are surely expensive

I'd say Gardiner's Egyptian Grammar, Third Edition

lmao

I have a ~200 year old copy of Don Quixote, no clue how valuable it is though. Probably at least a bit on account of its age alone. It's not in great condition though.

paid $25 was that too much

Liar.

ffs there's an exhibition in my city with art from Stephen Stapleton, John Balance and Genesis P-Orridge opening tomorrow but I can't make the trip cos the buses are on strike.

I have an old(1673 if it isn't a reprint) book written in latin by "Johann-Dietrich Fregissmont",does it value something?The conditions are scarce sadly

Girlfriend found it at a yard sale. It was with other standard unsigned stuff. She was just gonna grab it because it was the hardcover for cheap. Turned out to be signed. And it's legit. Paid 3 bucks for it. Got some other decent lit too.

not the most expensive but definitely the most overpriced. $20 for 250 pages is some bullshit

gutenberg bible

I bought a copy of The Sex Magicians by Robert Anton Wilson (signed too) for $300.

A 60 dollar copy of the Picture of Dorian Gray, in its original manuscript with tons of annotations put out by Harvard. Bretty gud desu

Lands and Peoples complete collection.
The fatal shore first edition hardcover
All my textbooks from HS

yeah, i have a weird book from wwii's pacific theater. its in moonrunes and shows different strategies for invading the states.

Nausea signed by Jean-Paul Sartre. Was passed down to me by my grandmother

Wow

1st edition of Prairie Fire: The Politics of Revolutionary Anti-Imperialism. Bought it in college for $75, and now i'm looking up cost... bookembooks.com/si/15931.html

Jesus dude, I need this. How much?

A mint first edition of John C. Lilly's 'Man and Dolphin'

probably some catalogue from an art exhibition.

You can probably still score one of the second editions for around $100. just keep an eye out on auction sites. it's titled Sing Omega.

I have a hardcover copy of the book of disquiet which I got for 17 dollars which is in pretty good condition, which I suppose goes for over 100 dollars, as well as a first edition copy of on the heights of despair, which has a patched rip on the back which I was so retarded, I didn't use tape because I didn't have and was too lazy to go get some, patched it with a piece of paper and superglue. Both also have a tiny bit of writing in them, but together I'd say they're probably both still pretty valuable.

nice. Veeky Forums seems to hold a mostly negative opinion on that book, but i quite like it.

In your dreams.

first US edition of conrad's 'youth', from 1906 I believe. I got it for $6 at goodwill, I think some are selling for $500 last i checked

I own a first edition of The Recognitions. I found it after finding some retired literature professor selling his collection.
I got it for $40, I saw a copy on eBay for like $500.

I have never read it, I only own it to show it off. It's probably stupid anyway.