Can someone give me a guide to the Western Canon ?

Can someone give me a guide to the Western Canon ?

Other urls found in this thread:

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Start with the Symbolists.

Start with Hesiod and Homer. You'll never actually finish those though so no point wasting brain space on the rest of it.

sonic.net/~rteeter/grtbloom.html

Harold Bloom can.

Welp... Better get started...

How many books are in Bloom's Canon? Is it something I'll need to dedicate my life to completing, or can I do it in a few years if I'm devoted?

It's linked 3 posts up. It will definitely take a while, but not nearly your entire life if you read often and efficiently. The better question is if it's actually worth it, economically, to invest that much time into literature of which the majority is irrelevant.

OP here. I know that in his book, Bloom goes over 26 different authors. Does he provide a list of works? too lazy to go through Amazon reviews

I know the link is there but I'm too tired to count. Frankly, right now I'm trying to get through the list of books in this "Oxford Companion to English Literature" book I have, and I imagine that alone will take a while.

Thanks!

I didn't post the link, but, uh, you're welcome?

I'm mostly afraid that a lot of it will fly over my head. I just don't feel I'm intelligent enough to appreciate a lot of it.

start with the modern ones and go backwards

Canonic western literature *ended* with the symbolists

Well, don't forget that a lot of the reason why a book might be hard to decipher is because you don't understand the structure and references. When you start from the beginning of books that's pretty much a non-issue. And of course reading a ton will vastly improve your reading comprehension.

Worrying whether or not you're smart enough to read something is silly. Reading makes you smart, not the other way around. You can spend as much time with any text as you want, it's not school, there are no deadlines.

Truly inspiring post user. I'm gonna order a few off the Bloom list.

Most of it's in the public domain, so I wouldn't advise spending money. Unless you just have like a shit ton of disposable income.

t. Academicist

just read whatever you want, jesus christ

He wants to read the canon, retard

yeah bitch, some of us wanna be scholarly