What I dont understand is, why are the stick figures smoking?

What I dont understand is, why are the stick figures smoking?

opboted

Because weed lmao

why is 4 blue

>brainlets memorize the quadratic formula when you can literally complete the square then solve for x (which is where the quadratic formula is derivated)

because b is squared and 2 squared is 4

I said it already and I repeat, it's not using all the tools you have that makes you a brainlet.

>Derivated

>brainlets not smart enough to memorize the quadratic formula

i memorized the numbers but it still doesn't work :(

This I almost never find a use for the quadratic formula

>blaming that on the students and not the teachers
I was taught the Quadratic Formula.

When you get to big boy math you'll realize memorization of formulas is retarded and you should understand where the formula came from instead.

Also going the route of completing the square by diving b by 2 then adding the square of that number to the equation (and adding the negative of that number) is not even hard compared to memorizing some unintuitive formula

That's the problem with math in America, people are taught formulas instead of processes

t. American who read the math textbooks which went over the processes

>That's the problem with math in America, people are taught formulas instead of processes

We had to complete the square with general coefficients before we ever applied the quadratic formula to any problem.

t. American who had a good math teacher

>people are taught formulas instead of processes

More like

>That's the problem with mat in America, people are taught processes(arithmetic) instead of abstraction

applying abstract concepts is still a couple levels harder than processes, and processes are MUCH better than memorization

a mix of abstract and applied is best

Not only did I learn the formula, I learned to sing it to the tune of "pop goes the weasel" for memorization purposes.

And I still sing that shit whenever I use it.

>problem with math in America
>only in America

I prefer the method of setting ax^2 +bx + d = (x+e)^2 + f, setting (x+e)^2 = -f and solving for e and f using the first equality. I find it to be much more elegant than doing the completing the square bullshit, where you know the answer so you add and subtract and square shit to make it become that answer.

>Only in America

Yeah right, I'm in Finland and the only derivation of a formula they taught in a physics book was the derivation of the decay law. And that was glanced over like hell.

>tfw I just scored in the 93rd percentile of the GRE and I never learned the quadratic formula

And now I'll never have to. Mwahahaha!

outside of America, it's a problem with maths instead

my math teacher just took an approach where he taught us both and let us use either method except in specific questions on a quiz that had us use one or the other specifically just to make sure we knew how to do both.

Pretty sure those are their noses, OP.

>be me
>take maths in new york state and have to memorize the quadratic for THE REGENTS
>go to community college in same state
>able to bring a 5x7 "note card" to the final

why is this allowed
are we really trying to dumb down america?

Beluan?