Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_reading
youtube.com/watch?v=jJz3jCprFdA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Raw pieces of bacon

my books are in really terrible condition now

the other book I'm reading

this infuriates me

also usually a library receipt or bookmark from there, but i cut out some pictures that i thought would be cool as bookmarks and started using that lately (put them around cardstock). a bit more enjoyable to use.

I mark the page with my pee so no one will take it

This, my local library gives out a bookmark every time you take out something. I have a shelf full of them now.

I use a bookmark.

a playing card if I don't have a bookmark, a bookmark if I do.

A dollar note some guy from highschool gave me as a gift from his trip to the US he did with his dad.

I use a new bookmark for every book I read. Usually it's the receipt from the library with the due date on it, but sometimes it's a scrap of paper I find. I always make sure to write the name of the book I used it for (if it's not on there already), and then I paste it on to a collage of bookmarks I've been building up for a while now.

I tear out the pages as I read them
one of them I use as my bookmark
the others I eat

The cool hologram picture bookmarks I got in elementary school. Still have em so I still use them.

This test strip for a photograph I took in high school. I think it looks cool and wouldn't serve me as much else.

I don't use a bookmark, I just memorize where I left off.

train tickets
only recently I realized the bookmarks I've been using for so long aren't actually yellow in the middle but have tiny lime green writing on white

a universe

I just cut up a ribbon from a christmas present into a couple. For some reason I've always hated cardboard bookmarks for their stiffness so having something floppy relieves my autism.

>reading phyisical books
lmao you don't know how to spend money faggots

different things for different books, usually something handy that I feel reflects the author in question

for Gravity's Rainbow I used a Super Bubble Bubble Gum wrapper

for Brideshead Revisited I used a plane ticket

for Ulysses I used a long thread I pulled from a jacket

currently reading Under the Volcano and using a small manila envelope for a bookmark

for Infinite Jest I spit on the page

R
E
A
L
L
Y M A K E S
Y
O
U
T H I N K

Mark Twain

>not reading until you've finished the book

Plebs pls go

A holographic bookmark I got from a local bookstore. I think it's pretty cool

I don't use bookmarks. Is it really that hard to take a second to commit the page number to memory? Even if you've forgotten, it takes a fraction of a minute to scan to the break between text you recognize and text you don't.

On the flipside, is it so hard to use a bookmark instead? Like, are you trying to condescend to people who use a bookmark?

>reading infinite jest in one day

I usually fold a sticky note just because its small and I always have them available on my desk, but if I got the book from the library and not my own collection I would just use the receipt like others in thread.

An old NHL tick

I have some bookmarks fot Bookdepository.
I use those for my own books.
I use a 2 year old bus ticket for library books.

Why do you need a bookmark if the only pages left are the ones you haven't read?

but the rest of it is still there

I use to use scraps of paper, or clean cut color construction paper if I took the time to plan ahead.
But after my high school English teacher forced the class to learn some absurd super speed reading in what amounted to torture, I now finish books so fast I don't need a bookmark at all. But since then reading is not fun like it use to be, but I can do it a lot faster, but I don't think it is better.

Could you perhaps share the technique? It sounds like it would be helpful for non-fiction

usually notecards, or whatever scrap of paper is handy

Morrocan tarot cards, they cost 0.20€ a set but they're sturdy and have medieval-ish illustrations.

I was expecting the "ketchup bookmark" picture in this thread

Sure, the idea is simple enough.

Basically we are taught to read letter by letter, in a fundamental phonetics style (as that was how Greek and later western languages were originally designed, sounds first [deeper language discussion...]).

Well people can learn to read whole words, thus skipping many mental steps (more like eastern pictorial style, pictures first). That is the simple idea behind it, and that step is not too hard to relearn given many words are reused often.

However it can actually be taken to a much greater extreme, with whole pages. But that is a dramatic rethinking of how you read. I had very painful headaches from rewiring my head, they passed after ~3 months. Because at that high level you it is more like you are taking a mental picture of the whole page and letting other parts of your brain read it while you are already onto the next page. (kind of like typing a book so fast the computer buffers everything, then you walk away as the text keeps typing on the screen) At that point it takes me about 5~10 seconds a page, my teacher could do 3~5 seconds at which point it looked like she was just turning pages, yet she retained the information. It was very creepy to watch as she would roll her eyes to scan the whole page faster then scanning left to right (how most people do it) or even top to bottom (which is how I do it). She would yell at me for wasted eye movements that slowed me down, thankfully it was only for a year.

I found it easier to cut a notch in a flash card and use it as a blinder to only see what I wanted to read. First a small cutout as I paid attention to reading letter by letter (there is debate on if that step is helpful or hurtful, but I found it useful to start paying attention to how my mind was reading, but for others it made it harder). Then a bigger cutout to read words. Then a half page blinder to read lines/sentences, with more focus on speed. Then keep making it bigger till you got the whole page.
After a few months of a very annoying teacher yelling at me with migraines I was really speed reading*.

*Note there is debate on how accurate the mind processes the data while doing this as your short term memory is used extensively here, as I did note minor errors climb. But the core information seems to be intact to the point I look more like a machine then a reader and I haven't made any big mistakes.

I am not sure I support this idea as it seemed to kill reading for me as it became something else to me. Still if I ever get a job reading technical documents it could make me rich.

is there a name for this process?

do you find it difficult to read, 'normally' after having learned this process?

would limiting it to paragraph size help maintain comprehension?

I didn't know that this was a thing, but now I'm enthralled.

I use pretty flowers that I find on the side of the road. I will usually find one and stick it inbetween the pages of whatever I have on me. Ill take it home later and then put it in some heavier book so it dries out flat.

I have no idea, the teacher was kind of a loon and just called "proper reading".

Yes, I do find it very difficult to read normally. It also hurt my writing as I now think in larger sets (very useful for somethings), so I find I some times type whole sentences out of order. A very odd mistake that people don't understand, so they assume I am dumb.

Likely, the smaller the bit the less load on your memory. But constantly using your memory is suppose to make it better. But given how human memory works is actually really complex and I wonder if we even really understand it at all.

It is like min-maxing. It is very useful for one thing but hurts other things. But seems to just come across as unbalanced in normal situations. As you can likely tell I am not the biggest fan of this.

fascinating.

do you know if this is just something your teacher came up with, or is there precedence for it anywhere? If not, could you post her name?

has she made any attempt to share this other than forcing it upon her students? A book perhaps?

this is genuinely one of the most fascinating things I have ever encountered on Veeky Forums, perhaps the entire site.

Speed reading is a long known-of method of reading. President Carter took speed reading lessons.

I don't think she can up with it as she talked as if there were other inferior speed reading methods out there corrupting America's youth. Also with her ego if she even though she had done something with it she would have bragged and brood for days.

I don't think it is my place to give out names or info, even if I could remember it, I come here for the anonymity.

If you are that interested I would look around.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_reading
Seems Wiki breaks down some similar ideas, so this would fall under some kind of visual skimming method.

It was around 2004~2005 range when I was taught it, but no idea how old the method is.

I suppose, but reading an entire page in a few seconds seems to bring this to its extreme. The character of a woman forcing extreme speed-reading on her students is also peculiar.

thanks for the lot of it, user. and no worries, anonymity is sacred. I'll definitely look into this further, though.

>reading infinite jest ever
Hmmmm.....

i'm gonna do this from now on

old business cards, rulers, whatever is flat that i can shove in the book. it doesnt matter

Been using this for about 12 years. Got it from St. Albans and hung onto it because of childhood memories and Roman history

test

Some flaming skunk piss

I have a nice wood bookmark I friend gave to me nearly fifteen years ago, I plan on continuing to use it until I die.

I just remember the page I'm on

youtube.com/watch?v=jJz3jCprFdA

Same here.

Piece of film usually

my brain

I bet it fits between the pages nicely.

ketchup

That is the most indie thing I've ever seen

p.s is that hypersphere

It's Tundra.
Here's some Hypersphere with more film, though. Yes, I still shoot it. It's fun.

>yfw thougts are immaterial

My negroes. I also usually fold them into a special zigzag form. My folding hobby has grown to the extent that I look forward to getting my reading done so I can go to library and get a receipt to fold. At some point I got worried about the plastic in the receipts so I got thin gloves to put on when I'm folding my book mark.

what book is that?

The one on the left.
I'd say something snidely about reading the damn thread but I'm in a really good mood today.
Tundra is a surprisingly decent read, by the way. I recommend it unironically.

a shitty 3D postcard my gramma gave me as a joke

Anything that I can use as a bookmark. Just stroll around and look for paper. not too difficult.

The page number.

I use exactly that, only it's just a white piece of paper.

thats sweet

underrated first post

A notecard

>stop reading book a month or two ago to read something else
>forgot to put bookmark
>really want to continue it now
>dread having to flip through the pages and try to remember where I left off
guess ill never finish it

My psychologist's business card.

Yeah but you haven't read it yet, why do you need to bookmark it?

Same here. I always pull my keep my ticket stubs when I take the train. I am constantly throwing out stubs and replacing my old bookmark. Probably because I have a bad tendency to rip them up. I'm very fidgety and need something to do with my hands sometimes.

Simple but effective

Brother

I always wind up using the ticket to mark whatever book I happen to be reading on the train

>borrow a copy of Blood Meridian from some guy who browses this board
>it's bookmarked with a receipt covered in trigonometric integrals
Why?

I always forget to ask you.

I have a big stack of flashcards from an SAT prep manual for vocabulary words. They make great bookmarks.