Post unis, discuss your major etc

Post unis, discuss your major etc

> University
Universitat de Girona, Spain

>Major
Computer Engineering

98% males, the only female is an ogre. Teachers are high school tier. Everyone is a normie.

For example doing the four color theorem someone raises their hand:

"Sir, do we have to bring pencil colors in order to study this theorem?"

Everyone laughs.

Doing Data Bases:

"I connected the TRUCK entity to the INTERNET entity"
"But trucks don't have wifi!"

Everyone laughs.

Mfw stuck with these people for four years.

>University
Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha, Spain

>Major
Chemistry

We all make drugs all day and spend the time using carbon tetrachlorure on all guys lolz

Jk we all fail exams and go on parties drinking all the alcohol we can

everyone's happy

Proud?
I can't wait when you got kicked out.

>going on a kraut uni

>Uni
EPFL
>Major
Mathematics 1st year

Its cool so far, geometry is a weird mix of isometries and group theory, I like it.

>University
RWTH Aachen

>Major
Computer Science

I am in 3rd semester (from 6 total) and I think that almost the half dropped out or is stuck in first semester courses, kek

McGill University
Joint-Honours Math and Computer Science
It's a wild ride

ENS Lyon
Math "agregation" (fifth year total)
Kill me now/10, every prof I discussed it with told me not to do it and finish my msc instead but I got in anyway and I just want to get the fuck out.

Hi trex, good luck with that

Graduating two weeks from today with a

~ BS in Mathematics, minor in statistics.
~ AS in Computer Science, minor in Japanese.

I really enjoy statistics and will likely go into something related to that field as a career. Quick question regarding graduate school. If I earn a Math degree (Pure math, Non-teaching degree), can you apply to graduate school and degree in your minor instead of your major?

>University
UC San Diego

>Major
Structural Engineering

This is a reject school filled with ugly ass Asians and other trash. I fucking hate this place especially all the Redneck shit bags in San Diego. I picked this major because it is the easiest/fastest engineering major to complete.

statistics is math you faggot
what kind of shitty school are attending
that is like getting a mechanical engineering degree with a minor in controls

Statistics is statistics faggot. Schools--and scholars--make a distinction between the two disciplines.

"Oh look! This book about 19th century feminism, social constructs and male-on-female oppression in the Victorian era has alphabetical letters in it. Early childhood development undergrads read from a textbook that also has alphabet letters it in. This book must be about early childhood development!"

That's how fucking fucked you sound.

University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Electrical Engineer major/Physics minor

Not the best school but best for instate and didn't want to get crushed by out of state or private school debt. Being surrounded by brainlets is empowering.

University of Toronto
FInancial Economics and Computer Science with a minor in Mathematics.

Hard as fuck and I gained 20 pounds.

University of Tampere

Majoring Computer Science

1st semester

Uni of Sydney.

Mechanical engineering

Idk man I could've taken admission in McGill and I'm getting all Road Not Taken over it.
Does it really matter?

Hey my supervisor went to eth zurich. REPRESENT

UIUC
Physics undergrad

Our physics program is divided between two colleges but it's essentially the exact same department and major. Feeling kinda cucked by the Engineering Physics majors just because having an "engineering" degree from this school is supposed to look better or something.

Huutista böndelle! :D
t. Aallon kylteri

Questions from a highschool drop out: I have my own passions and make my own money but seeing you guys going through complicated subjects I have to ask:

I.e. I remember finding physics really difficult and I hated the fact that I would be stumped on one problem for 20 minutes or longer. The wording on some of those questions pissed me off alone.

Questions:

What is the longest amount of time a "problem" or question has stumped you? 10 minutes? 1 hour? one day? a week? etc.

How often do you study / work hours per day on your subject. Is your career your passion and you spend the majority of your day on it?

Any tips on how to study better? i.e. writing things down rather than typing them enforcing better memorization etc?

I'm already assuming you have a somewhat regular / healthy routine to optimize your performance.

There was once a Partial Differential Equations problem regarding the Potential Equation that I was stuck on for about a week. Turns out there was an mistake made performing a Laplace Transformation.

I was either in class, commuting between home and/or class, or studying. Committing to a craft might take you all day. Be willing to say goodbye to a social life if you are serious about finishing school.

Statistics is my thing. I'm working on passing Actuary Exam FM/2. My advice:

1.) Never take a semester off
2.) Partner with students or make a small students study group from your classes and meet regularly to get problems done.
3.) Do the extra problems and see school tutoring centers if you struggle with that subject.
4.) Sleep is the only thing that can repair "Equation's Block" ('Writers Block' equivalent for STEM majors)
5.) Meet with professors regularly; and if you have a undergraduate research project or a graduate thesis, get to work on it ASAP. The Data Collection phase of research is incredibly time consuming and can hinder timely completion.

>University
Wageningen University
>Currently working on
BSc Biotechnology

14 days until I find out if I'm accepted here, electrical engineering. I really like physics though and it was difficult to make the choice but I figured there's probably a significant overlap.
If you dont mind, I have questions:

How do you like it?
What year are you?
Do you know any electrical engineering majors?
Do you know how large the overlap (if any) is between Physics and Engineering?

Thanks

>Wageningen
hehe farmer boy

Where are ya from?

Harvard

Triple Major in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Economics

5th semester

University of Melbourne, Economics and Finance

>university

University of Waterloo

>major

Civil Engineering

Fucked up real bad and took Civil Engineering when I could easily get into a superior engineering program like Mechatronics or Electrical
thinking of chaing programs soon

>University
University of Arkansas

>Major
Physics with math minor

Im doing astrophysics research with faculty and its bretty fun. I want to start working on plasma though

If I get a B in calc 3 this semester im going to le kill myself

civil engineering is a joke

Autodidact, briefly studied biology at UCSB before dropping out to become a farmer.
Studying applied and theoretical ecology, earth system science and engineering, paticulary marine science although all the field work I am currently able to do is limited to terristal and artificial freshwater systems.
I work in agri/aqua/algalculture, designing closed loop biological systems; photobioreactors/algal runways, aquaponics(indoor and scaled to large outdoor recirculating ponds) providing all the food on site with no overhead, arthospira, cholera, insect(crickets, black soldier fly larvae, scarrabre larvae, experimenting with termites) meal, soya, daphnia, cyclops, black worms, Gambisia and guppies, yeast, threadfin and gizzard shad, to produce hybrid walleye, stripped bass, tilapia and crappie. Not to mention my terristeral animals and plant produce.
I'm also working with energy produced by aerobic and anaerobic composting.
I'm into fine ceramics, concentrated solar power, thermoplastics, biodiesel/ bioethanol.
Soon I will be producing resources from ecological restoration projects and will be offering resources to scientist, artist and innovators. Paying them a fixed salary and selling their contribution to aquire more resources. That's the fantasy anyways.
As of yesterday I have become obsessed with biosemiotics.

From Arkansas?

am i from arkansas?
yeah im from arkansas. the same city as the university, actually. thats why I'm going to school here. to keep them costs low and stay debt free

University of Waterloo, Computer Engineering

So many nerds concentrated into one area, and some of the ugliest people I've seen. But fuck they are somehow happy everyday.

Wondering because I'm from Rogers

>Chalmers University of Technology
>B.Sc in Software Engineering
>Ongoing M.Sc in Complex Adaptive Systems (CAS)
Bunch of fucking ANN circlejerkers in my class. Im somewhat disappointed that CAS-related topics are not as mature as I anticipated. Currently I can't get rid of the feeling that CAS is solely about making models of economy/ecology/society and being pretentious about so called conclusions deduced from oversimplified simulation experiments..

ens ulm
math

do you plan to teach in prépa? i think i will but im still wondering

Come over to the royal institution instead.
We are better.

I am in ECE. Don't worry, our department isn't very selective so you will probably get in.

>How do you like it?
It's not bad but certainly not exceptional by any measure. People in the real world will be quite incredulous if you assert that the department is #5 in its field or less, and to be fair they have quite a good reason to believe it is overrated.

When people say UIUC is good, you must understand that the notion of "good" is from a villager's point of view. For a university in a middle of nowhere flyover state, UIUC is indeed good. But it hardly stacks up to the juggernauts like Stanford, MIT, Berkeley on the coasts which attracts some of the best minds in the world. People who say UIUC is on par or exceeds those places have major head-stuck-in-the-cornfields syndrome.

Almost everyone I know here only came because they want to be close to home or where they grew up, got rejected from everywhere else, or can't afford to get out of state. Nobody chooses UIUC for purely academic reasons. The brightest in-state students that are very serious about getting good either end up at places like UChicago, Northwestern, or go out of state entirely, and UIUC gets the leftovers. No amount of rankings can change the fact that even EEs in Northwestern are probably smarter than the typical EE in UIUC.

Now its true that Bardeen and some old legends used to be here which is where its reputation came from. But they are dead now. And so is the department.

TL;DR: If you only want to come here for the rankings and academics, you will regret it. But since it is in the middle of nowhere, there aren't many soft factors going for this place either.

>Do you know how large the overlap (if any) is between Physics and Engineering?
Depends entirely on how you choose your electives.

That being said, the vast majority of people in ECE just swing over to software. They simply don't have the intellectual capacity for things like physics.

i have a fried from ETH who came to my superior uni to do his phd. he's pretty bad

>For example doing the four color theorem someone raises their hand:
>"Sir, do we have to bring pencil colors in order to study this theorem?"

>zürich
>krauts
choose one

>aust nat
>BSc phys,math major
>final year

are you guys french?
If not, how did you get in?

>Zürich
>germany

amerifat """""""education"""""""

UC Berkeley,
MechE. Everyone's pretty chill, the manufacturing labs we get access to are pretty sweet, lots of good collaboration (and competition). I've enjoyed my time here so far.

>not going into math faculty or Software Engineering at the minimum
>wanting to be a TRON

No interest in math or pure coding

>University
University of Waterloo
>major
Math/CS
>thoughts
Every day is pure suffering but at least we have memes.

I've heard varying things about tron job prospects though, seems like you'd be better off just going into EE or MechE rather than getting the worst of both worlds.

Well it's kinda the only reason to pass the agregation these days (besides, there might not even be job security for teachers in a few years, I don't know who'll be willing to do it then...)
So yeah, I'm passing it so I might become a prepa teacher if research turns out to be a no-no.
That being said, you should know that you lose your agreg if you don't start teaching after a certain number of years so you might want to think about when you want to sit the exam, especially now that they have opened an "agregation pour docteurs".

yeah i'm french

>university
George Mason University
>major
Computer Science major, Math minor
>etc
Considering transferring to Virginia Tech bc it's the only in-state university that I can likely get into (plus all my friends are there). This school is mostly commuters and people that don't care about school and it kinda sucks sometimes. I'm trying to stay optimistic -- I like being in the DC area and I have an SO here -- but I wanna be somewhere where people actually are interested in learning. Plus, I feel like it's be a better education, look better on a resume, etc.

ur hackathon seems p cool

>University
Unitec, Honduras

>Major
Energy Engineering

So far its been really interesting. Suppossedly its one of the few universities in Central and South America with this major, but I really like it.

UC Irvine
Computer Science

Asians everywhere. Tons of people way smarter than me.

>University
Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México
>Major
Physics
>etc

Pretty challenging courses, though you can literally chose everything in my faculty. Too many leftist and dude weed lmao types.

Amigo, en tu universidad ofrecen maestrias relacionadas con energias renovables?
Me falta todavia algunos años para graduarme, pero he estado viendo que Mexico tambien es de los pocos paises con esta carrera en America, y pues estoy viendo posibilidades para maestria en estos lugares, y por lo que se gracias a contactos, la UNAM es muy buena.

They're both shit lads

Who wins the battle of the rejects schools?

yeah i dont really know the details since barely anybody prepares the agrégation at ulm anymore (only losers dont end up doing research in algebraic geometry)
but since you pretty much need a thesis to teach in prépa nowadays, i might as well go for it and take the «agrégation pour docteurs»

im french too

Thank you very much user, you've shed a lot of light on things that college websites don't cover.

Although I'm a little dissapointed to be entirely honest :/ I was under the impression UIUC had a very strong engineering department.

But I mean it's a non-binding application, and I do plan to apply to Northwestern in January (I have the necessary grades and ACT to be somewhat of a candidate), so I'll use this info to make that decision.

Thanks again

I just read the Wikipedia article on "Agrégation in France". So it's a super intense exam just to teach high school? In Canada, students consider themselves lucky if the teacher has a math degree at all. Most teachers are women who went into teaching because they "like kids xD" or because they were the popular girl in high school and wanted to relive that experience. I applaud your system, it's no wonder France has the most Fields medalists.

Physicsanon back, I know already gave you a better answer but I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway

>What year are you?
First year

>How do you like it?
I'm not quite sure how to feel about it here yet. I was rejected from UChicago and Northwestern, like many others. But this school isn't Bad, just not the best.

I might still consider attempting a transfer to one of those schools, but if I'm stuck here all 4 years I'll be fine. The education here is pretty good, at least. The only issue I have l is with the people. I'm the kind of of person that gets hyped thinking about UChicago's very academic atmosphere, and am put off by all the partyers at UIUC.

>Do you know any electrical engineering majors?
I've barely met any, college is a cruel place for the socially anxious desu

But from the few that I have met, they seem decently smart and to appreciate the program, but aren't the most enthusiastic people about their major.

>Do you know how large the overlap (if any) is between Physics and Engineering?
If you mean Engineering in general, well yes, there can be a lot of overlap, depending on your major and what electives you take.

For ECE in particular though, I think there's less. There's a lot of E&M, but from what I can tell the rest is mostly technical applications or applied math. Like circuits, electronics, signal processing, low-level programming, etc.

But take everything I say with a grain of salt. I'm a freshman and not in ECE, after all

I know that triple/quad majors are really just loopholes given that most engineering programs nowadays have 30+hr class/week ... But fk I'm jealous regardless.

UCI isn't a bad school for CS. Its like 20 something in the nation

That's normal. Remember that with the current rate of Abitur graduates (upwards of 30% of total pupils), many who start university will have IQs no higher than 100-110. Having a large fraction fail the introductory courses of non-babby majors (STEM, basically, plus law and econ to lesser degrees) is neither surprising, nor worthy of condemnation, nor in need of change.

Expect a pleasant environment of high achievers when you start your Master's.

Oh, and also expect to find the fraction of German-born students to diminish dramatically the higher you go. Germans are so used to coasting through school and uni that they lack the fundamentals and the diligence to make it through the higher tiers. In my uni, roughly half the grad students were foreigners at the beginning, and now that I'm done, the fraction of foreign PhD candidates out of the bunch is around 70%. It's to be expected, since you'd assume the bad foreign students to get filtered out at home, too.

So do yourself a favor and don't ever slack off.

>University of Glasgow
>Undergrad Physics with Astrophysics, 4th year.

Absolutely loving life, except solid state physics and thermodynamics.

Longest I've been stumped: a week. Finally bitched out and looked at the solutions.

I spend about 5 hours a day studying, but I don't study at all three days out of the week. One of those days I work all day. It is definitely my passion.

I write things out in notes, then gradually write them out in sparser detail, until I have the most important information filtered out. Then I memorise that and use it in conjunction with the fuller notes.

I don't have a healthy routine.

>university

Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften, Hamburg

>major

Aircraft Construction

Great subject and studying in the region with the largest aerospace industry in Europe means you know that you will work in the field for sure.

You just cant appreciate bantz

Is Aircraft Construction like aerospace engineering oder?

University of Hertfordshire, UK

Mathematics 1st year

Im enjoying it so far but linear algebra can be really fucking annoying with how many proofs we have to do. Also the homework is annoying not because it's overly hard, just that there's so fucking much

Well it's more like the direction frowns upon it. One of my ulmite friends actually ended up here because the director literally refused to let him prepare for the agregation.
Yeah, you'll likely be better off with the agreg for doctors. The preparation is really boring.

We may have the "best" mathematicians but the general public is no more knowledgeable or enthusiastic about math than in the rest of the world. We might actually be the least math-savvy people (on average).
The math agreg is entirely overkill if you only want to teach high school desu. The thing is, the agrégation allows you to teach "classes prépa" where you might meet the best students in the country and teach them a very dense math course (which comprises a lot of what is on the agreg curriculum). That's the only reason why it makes sense to have a recruiting exam that requires so much background.
I think middle and high school would benefit from having teachers that are less knowledgeable (not that they're very knowledgeable right now, many candidates that just barely fill the requirements are recruited anyway), but have a *solid* foundation on everything up to the first two years of college and then a good grounding in student psychology, teaching, public speaking, and specific knowledge on how to teach kids math.
You don't really need the guy who'll teach your kids basic coordinate geometry to know about Hilbert spaces or the topology of linear groups, but you want him to be able to explain it very well. That's what is lacking.

University of South Paris (XI)

Physics - 2nd year Masters

Baguettes are p good but teachers here blow

Brehs?

It's basically a subfield of aerospace engineering.

You also learn stuff like aircraft turbines or aerodynamics. But the focus is about building aircraft structures.

are you a local or international student?

i'm considering going here from the us, how is it like?

Why are there more non-Americas on Veeky Forums than any other board?

big picture: aircraft factories are very special just like semiconductor manufacturing is very special

Well.

It's more a result how universities and universities of applied sciences operate in Germany.

The later one are normally smaller than universities and often don't have the ressources to cover the complete field so instead of doing watering down stuff they specialize itself on a subfield like aircraft construction.

And they are pretty successful with that strategy. The HAW in Hamburg has a better reputation than the TUHH in the industry.

>And they are pretty successful with that strategy. The HAW in Hamburg has a better reputation than the TUHH in the industry.

Würde ich auch sagen. :^)
Aber im ernst: Hätte nicht gedacht, noch einen HAW'ler hier zu finden. Wie sieht der work-load aus bei euch? Wieviele Prüfungen und wie aufwendig sind sie für dich persönlich? Rein aus Interesse.

t. freundliche Grüße aus Berliner Tor, Informatik Master :^)

Normalerweise sind es 4-5 Prüfungen jedes Semester. Es is also alles machbar vom Zeitaufwand her - genug Zeit um als Werkstudent zu arbeiten.

Aber die TUHH mit ihrem pseudo Elite getue is ziemlich nervig. Ich hör das sehr oft von Firmen hier in Hamburg.

I'm at community college learning welding/ wiring gonna learn plumbing & concrete/masonry
also taking a math class at the university here so I can take arch. engineering classes @ the university

Because Americans, by and large, aren't into science and math.

>University
VCU

>Major
Computer Science

The memes are true. We're all autists, don't know how to interact with girls, close 99% of us are virgins, and some of us have poor hygiene. This, of course, is all heightened by the fact that my school is that good of one, I imagine.

>This, of course, is all heightened by the fact that my school is that good of one, I imagine.
That last is should be an isn't.

Transferring to University of Pittsburgh for math next semester, went to a local CC and paid out of pocket working part time. I didn't know any stem people going there from my circle so I can't wait to walk into there blind.

>tfw they have hogwarts
>tfw when Carnegie Mellon is down the street making me feel inferior

didn't apply myself in high school
EE

I just took the Economics major as well since I took both Economics AP courses in high school and planned on majoring in Economics anyways. I also had enough math credits from a local college when I became a freshman that I had like 5 classes I was able to fill up my first 3 semesters so I just took computer science courses and decided to switch to that and Computer Engineering since a lot of the courses overlap. This next summer I have to take 3 classes, but it's worth it

Southampton
Mechanical Engineering
I had 4A* at A level it wasn't supposed to be this way

>University
Georgia Tech

>Major
BME

Considering switching to ChemE. Not sure. Anyone else here?

Binghamton University
Math
It's ok.

>that image
gimmie a hug, man

Charles University
Applied geology

The guy is a right though, statistic is kinda imperative for math theories too.