Cool chemical experiments

Dump your ideas

Mix Potassium and Water, guaranteed laughs

nice try user

Do you want experiments, carnival attractions, or DIY chemistry to make products?

The first one you should read textbooks and journals.

The second you can find an online article for.

The third is probably not going to be an improvement in your life in any way but is fun to think and talk about.

The third one

Well making your own soap and laundry detergents can be cool.

Also a simple distillation column will let you make and purify some cool shit.

Brewing is also pretty fun and involves biochemistry.

The science of cooking food also incorporates a lot of chemistry.

Generating and bubbling chlorine gas through acetone, to make Chloroacetone.
Chloroacetone is also known as tear gas, so watch out for the fumes!

When you add NaOH to it, you'll get a Crimson-red colour.

Making rad slime for use in action figure playsets.

>heat up a spoon until it get very very hot
>quickly run it under some very cold water
>????
>science

Mix windex with bleach!

Post something else that doesn't involve chlorine poisoning thanks

Kill yourself

It would help if you posted what you are looking for when you say "cool science experiments". We are a bunch of nerds so calling something cool is meaningless to us.

Stuff like potassium permanganate with glycerin is kinda interesting, something along that line

You want to make to make an explosive? I won't tell you how to do that.

This is actually really fucking fun.
Explosions are dank

>Explosions are dank
I remember being a school kid too

I also remember that we were never taught the actual science behind the reactions, just the flashy explosion bullshit to keep us entertained.

Piss poor education

Then what could I purify with a distillation column?

Alcohols mostly.

Then maybe stuff FeCl3 + KNO3 in order to make FeNo3, which is harmless

>Then maybe stuff FeCl3 + KNO3 in order to make FeNo3, which is harmless
That's actually true FeNo3 is harmless. You will also make chlorine gas which can be removed by a vacuum.

Welp, I didn't think of that, you're right

Mix penis with vagina, guaranteed wank streams

mix jews and zyklon B gas at stoichiometric ratios of 6000000:1

Has to have explosions, lots of fumes and bright colors to be considered cool

I'VE GOT IT

>pressure cooker
>a few scraps of metal pieces
>spray deodorant

Turn it on and watch happens.

Anyone tried making polymers at home? Seems like it would be fun to mess around with. I've made a few in a lab class before (polystyrene, nylon 6,6) so I'm not a total stranger to them.

So if i dump the kmno4 we use in lab for,TLCs on a piece of bigbrand poundcake, it will explode?

this one actually made me laugh

Get an ice pack, extract ammonium nitrate, get salt substitute (potassium chloride), mix it, and you'll have some potassium nitrate. Mix it with some charcoal, sulfur and rubbing alcohol for laughs.
You could also make drugs, trust me you'll learn chemistry quick by doing this. The easiest one isn't a synthesis, but an extraction. Buy some benzedrex, get the cotton towel and throw it in some vinegar, wait a bit then toss the vinegar in some water-discernable solvent (xylene would work well), filter and dry. Gives you propylhexedrine which you can either sell as meth (good luck if your clients find out through kek) or use it as a bath salt.
As an interesting non-memeing experiment, try soaking synthetic polymers in various mixtures, drying them and see what new properties they had. When I was trying to make some slow match for my DIY matchlock, I didn't have any rope on me so I used some synthetic polymer from an old bookbag, soaked it in a mixture of KNO3 and sulfur, and dried it out.
Synthetic polymers usually drip when burned, so it wasn't good as slow match. It was basically just a string of dried black slime that was really flammable, but I always wanted to try different combinations.

nigger you just named the only two polymers I made in class as well

nylon 6,6 is really easy and kinda fun.

polymers can sometimes be dangerous like phenolic resins because you need formaldehyde and phenol

no don't make it at home

>Get 1 eq 10% hexanediamine
>Add 1/2 eq 20 NaOH
>Add 1 eq 5% adipoylchloride with pipette on the side of the beaker to create two layers
>Slowly pick up the formed nylon 6,6 with tweezers and try to get the longest string
>Dip in water and acetone to wash.

take some fine copper wire, about 2 grams and place it in 40ml of HCl

leave it open to air.

in a few days it will go from clear to dark green.

place a steel object into the solution. make sure its completely submerged. I suggest a 1/8" steel ball bearing.

After a few days, the ball bearing should be completely plated in copper. The copper will not shine because the crystals grow as dendrites, but the plating will have that classic copper color.

also, I suggest anywhere between 3mol and 4mol of HCl - H2O solution.

How can mixing water and acetone work?

Every time I tried to use an acetone and water solution as a solvent, the reaction was incredibly slower than pure acetone.

No I mean fill two separate beakers with water and acetone and dip it in there. Also I believe it's just for washing

i gotcha ok

Go to a paint store that carries pure pigments and get some aluminum powder and some red iron oxide.
From a hardware store pick up some big galvanized nails, a metal file and a ceramic flower pot.

From a gun store get a cheap .22 pistol or rifle, a couple packs of ammo and a bucket of tannerite.

Use the file to grind the zinc coating from the nails, don't use much pressure.

Get about a full ounce of zinc powder.
Mix the zinc with 12 ounces of iron oxide and six ounces of aluminum powder.
Put a piece of tape over the hole in flower pot.
Put the powder mix in the flower pot.
Remove 5 bullets from their casings and collect the powder (looks like crumbled pencil lead).
Mix with 1 ounce of tannerite.
Make a little cone of this mixture on top of the powder in the flower pot.
Take a full matchbook and stick it in the middle of the little mound.
Put the flower pot in the middle of your living room, light a corner of the matchbook, and use another bullet to shoot yourself in the fucking head you worthless sack of shit.