So, I'm five chapters into this and I just have to ask... when does this get good...

So, I'm five chapters into this and I just have to ask... when does this get good? I hate these characters and the way everything every character says has to be some gigantic fucking monologue about the importance of beauty or some stupid shit is really getting annoying. They're all assholes.

Is it worth it to keep going?

You have to be trolling

No, I'm not. Henry Walton is a pretentious twat and everyone speaks in monologues. Is this one of those books with a slow start but then it picks up or something?

So... it gets better then?

Why is Liszt on that cover?

I've never known why people like this book so much. It's meh. A bit too detailed.

>walton

nigga u serious?

It doesn't really. He murders Basil later but that's all.

OP i made a thread and got ridiculed for asking the same thing. the book doesnt get better because its a terribly boring book. Veeky Forums likes it because that's what their programmed to like, not because they actually like it.

>because that's what their programmed to like, not because they actually like it
>there's a difference

>his hair is always straight and black

REEEEEE

Maybe because he started out handsome and ended up really ugly.

Lord Henry is the wittiest character in fiction, and Wilde's prose is absolutely aesthetic. Those are the main reasons behind its popularity.

Personally, I like it, but I don't think it's his best. You shouldn't have gone into it with any lofty expectations, desu. Read Lady Windermere's Fan next.

Nigga thats the fucken point. The characters are pretentious and being distressed by it is a normal reaction that is to be expected. Thats essentially what the novel is about. A society of pretentious dandy fucks. So just fucking read the whole thing and look at the whole picture (of dorian gray).

If you're not fascinated by Lord Henry then you won't like the book.

This. Is like that italian movie 'The Great Beauty'.

The episodes of Lord Henry's marriage are my relationship goals.

Really? They're definitely the two worst things about this book.

How could you be fascinated by him? He goes around imposing retarded beliefs on everyone he meets. His views are stupid, and he obsesses over a boy simply because he's beautiful and makes a conscious decision to manipulate him.

>He goes around imposing retarded beliefs on everyone he meets.

And you cant relate?

His plays are where his writing really shines.