Are you proud of reading? Or SHOULD you be proud of reading? Are you a better person if you read...

Are you proud of reading? Or SHOULD you be proud of reading? Are you a better person if you read? I mean objectively in an intellectual capacity, not some vague social superiority sort of way.

I think the answer is yes. I take pride in reading non-fiction (most of my reading) as well as some fiction.

I read because I will read, nothing more.

The reason I ask because I always feel like a cunt for thinking I'm better because I read, but isn't that technically true in an an intellectual capacity? Reading takes effort and focus and you're always learning new things. I would say it is objectively a good and well-meaning pursuit.

I mean, just compare somehow who actively reads and has a thirst for knowledge compared to someone who doesn't.

Is knowing more of something better, and better in which way? if so what is the goal of an intellectual, is the value independent of, or dependant on the medium. Is the potential gained good, before being realised?

I read because I want to understand more about the world before I die. I never used to read, but now I'm actively enjoying picking up a new book, finishing it and adding it to my collection. I just think it''s a good thing to accrue knowledge, but most importantly, gain different perspectives on things or explore ideas and concepts.

In terms of pride for reading though, how much is exclusive found in being Veeky Forums?

I don't understand your question. Sorry.

*exclusively being found in

How can you determine the benefits to your understanding coming from reading relative to other forces influencing your current perspective?

Oh, you mean the ratio of my total understand from reading to other external influences like social exposure, watching documentaries. Just generally taking in other sources? Well, I obviously think one needs to have access to a broad range. I'm not saying that reading is the be all and end all of knowledge acquisition. I just mean reading in and of itself is surely beneficial and is objectively an honourable pursuit which deserves to be celebrated.

total understanding*

I also mean how value is assigned to various sources. In terms of celebration of pursuit in and of itself, I'm not convinced that the concept of honourable is being nothing more than itself.

Think of reading like a brain fertilizer, it certainly provides a healthy home for thoughts to flourish, but unless you sow the seeds of action it is ultimately wasted.

Knowledge, without action, rots the mind for the worse.

So to answer your question: While reading books definitely aids in the creation of a "intellectually superior" mind, it's wasted unless you put your knowledge in action and create and influence the world. So be sure to get off your ass and get shit done, teach people, write yourself, learn a trade, another language, stock manipulation, and then reading is a very powerful tool indeed.

No, of course I agree with that. Most of the books I read have some bearing on what I'm doing with my life. For example, I'm studying a degree in ecology. Most of my time is spent reading books about the subject out of sheer interest and has given me a broader understanding of the world. Nowhere in my OP did I say I was a shut-in who valued reading above all else though. I just said a minute ago that it's good to pursue other sources as well. I'm doing a degree and I'm 127 pages into my own book. Reading is valuable, yes, and it can stir the mind and open yourself to new perspectives, but as I said, it should be done in conjunction with other practical things.

Smug bitch

OP here. Clearly you didn't read my posts.

muh intellectual capacity.

See this is the problem. I didn't say I was smart. Not once did I say I was smart. I just said that surely, objectively, reading increases intellectual capacity. It was a factual statement without any of personality to it. It's almost as if you can't be proud of reading because people will think you're a cunt for KNOWING THINGS. And you've just indirectly proved my point.

Do we know more now than in prehistory? Because the shift between periods is definitionally delineated by the development of writing.

If by reading you include good memory and reading comprehension then sure. But just reading alone doesn't necessarily make you more knowledgeable. You'd be amazed by the number of retards who read tens of books monthly. This is where I'm coming from, sorry if I misunderstood

Yes.

Yes.

No. Reading only fills the emptiness of life. This is the most literate place I know and half the posters seem like genuinely awful people.

It's either reading or going on a killing spree.
So yes I'm a better person for it.
Society is lucky that the western canon is huge and that I started late.

i agree with you

No I'm indifferent. No. No.