Do stimulants like pic related help you read?

Do stimulants like pic related help you read?

Also, are there any good books about ADHD? Apparently it is the most studied mental disorder.

Other urls found in this thread:

nature.com/npp/journal/v40/n5/full/npp2014301a.html
petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/please-do-not-make-kratom-schedule-i-substance
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

That will give you brain damage

>most studied mental disorder

I really doubt this. I'm sure it's the mental disorder with the most "studies" about it, i.e. drug companies running dozens of studies and then publishing those with the most favorable outcomes so they can push their drugs on people because SCIENCE!

Methamphetamines will make you write a lot but it will be turgid. It improves motivation and focus but at the cost of creativity. For example, see Sartre's Being and Nothingness (which he reportedly wrote while blitzed on meth and espresso).

Stick to caffeine.

lol wut

add makes you less prone to move from one subject to another, it's as if your brain doesn't need a new stimulation, but it also makes it dull.

adderall is great for editing

No, they'll give you focus but generally make you autistic and ruin the experience

If you're not reading for pleasure then go ahead

amphetamines shrink your brain. user's right, but on the other hand, speed is fun.

They don't help me read but god damn do I write a lot when I'm taking stims.

>shrinks your brain

are you talking about methamphetamine abuse? taking an extended release amphetamine like in pic related isn't going to shrink shit except yer cock.

>methamphetamines

We're talking about Adderall, i.e. mixed salts (two enantiomers of) amphetamine.

You really think taking 25mg of Adderall XR (extended release) is the same as smoking/injecting meth?

Why would these drugs be approved for prescription if they literally caused brain damage/shrinkage?

>wouldn't the fda ban it if it was bad?

No - there are a fuck ton of approved drugs with terrible side effects, and there hasn't been enough time to do real long term studies on this stuff.

That being said, there is nothing to suggest a 25mg XR is going to have any long term effects, especially shrink your noggin'.

ADHD doesn't exist, it's fabricated by Big Pharma (which lobbies the govt) to sell overpriced drugs that destroy your brain and turn the freaking frogs gay

also nothing to suggest it's an exception to the "no biological fee rides" rules. you shouldn't take this shit every day, definitely don't get addicted, and definitely don't start increasing dose.

Bad side effects, but if something was literally causing brain damage under prescription usage it certainly wouldn't be approved.

Where are you getting your knowledge from? ADHD is the most studied mental disorder. People dedicated their lives to study it, only to get a small slice of that big-pharma pie?

>Where are you getting your knowledge from

A really neat subreddit i found called /r/conspiracy

depression is studied more. those drugs are extremely damaging. what makes you think there's a connection between amount studied and safety of effective treatments?

How are the drugs damaging? What do they do that causes damage?

They just do retard fk off

Btfo

flag is false famm

biologically? i have no idea. are you under the impression that the doctors even know the biological modes of actions for many of these drugs? lots of drugs, especially ones used to treat psychological disorders are discovered as side-effects of established treatments for other things. there are many many drugs out there that seem to work, and for which they have no proven ideas of why they work. asking for the science, or asking for the sources, in this case if going to be futile. i agree with you re: adderall, but you gotta be open to the idea that lots of anecdotal evidence may eventually show there are negative effects. so take it easy. better safe than sorry.

nah, long term adhd kids get the same effect. extended release amphetamine does not mean no side affects amphetamine. people like to think it's a different thing because otherwise you have the question of why the fuck would any one give a five year old amphetamines.
>Why would these drugs be approved for prescription if they literally caused brain damage/shrinkage?
The same reason that doctors who approved it for the FDA disclose their amphetamine backers to their papers on why amphetamine brain shrinkage is nothing to worry about where the control group is comprised of kids who have been on the medication twice as long but were diagnosed later and also show less brain growth, so the ones starting out on a ten year speed course look like the drug prevented brain shrinkage. it's a lot of money and amphetamines to write that kind of paper.

at least MDMA is a slow release amphetamine with sensations worth the side affects. just look at the difference in music between dexadrine
www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc-P8oDuS0Q
and ecstasy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyZp1nm5yco
get a better dealer than big pharma

show me where you see brain shrinkage?

So because you don't know, you assume doctors and professionals don't know either? This is simply wrong. They know that Adderall works by increasing dopamine and norepinephrine activity in the brain. They know a lot more than that "they seem to work".

You're trying to justify your lack of information and understanding here.

Every time Veeky Forums talks about prescription drugs of any sort all you get is this sweeping conjecture that it's all bad for you with nothing to back it up whatsoever.

sorta but not really, reading is supposed to be relaxed and enjoyable, unless youre on the perfect stim dosage and have no stress at all youll be flying through it like a robot

opiates are pretty good for reading though

so why does that cause brain shrinkage

He was probably referring to anti depressants such as SNRIs

>Every time Veeky Forums talks about prescription drugs of any sort all you get is this sweeping conjecture that it's all bad for you with nothing to back it up whatsoever.
whoa Pfizer calm down buddy

Another user here, I'm still not seeing why running more a bit more neurotransmitters through the brain would cause shrinkage. you're literally stimulating your neurons by increasing their ability to communicate with each other... unless your dosage is too high, but that's kind of a given. I think you guys are shitposting.

this one's for dextroamphetamine
nature.com/npp/journal/v40/n5/full/npp2014301a.html
basically, eventually you wear out those pathways and they die and stop delivering your feelgood. apoptosis is your key word if you're looking for cell death along those pathways from the references.

most of these drugs [including non-amphetamines] are also vasoconstrictors, so they don't always "increase their ability to communicate". if you have the drug sheet adderall publishes, it warns you about circulatory problems. [this includes the warnings not to take it if you feel especially stressed]. the reason why the press, when warning people off methamphetamine/cocaine, say things like "long term users look like Alzheimer's patients and stroke victims" is because of that reduction of blood flow.

think about it for a moment: why would this one amphetamine operate differently to the others? why do you not know what that special feature of metabolism or structure is that makes these drugs unique? it's not they're slow release, lots of amphetamines are, it's why they're great
the reason there's no mention of a magical isomer or analogue being involved which prevents those circulatory or amine degradations is because there isn't one.
if there were something that made one kind of speed "better than speed" for your brain and other organs to eat for five years, ritalin would be out of the market along with the people who are selling actual amphetamine mixes like adderall.

if you want a side affect free drug, try nothing. it's always a trade off. don't try to kid yourself that adderall isn't speed because clinical speed's pretty great for its trade off really especially if you can't get tested ecstasy. it's still going to affect your brain long term like any amphetamine because it's two amphetamines. side affects don't go away because it's legal or clinical grade.

but arent the doses people uses therapeutically much much lower than one that would be used by a meth addict?

>Dopaminergic System Dysfunction in Recreational Dexamphetamine Users

>RECREATIONAL USERS

>PEOPLE WHO USE MULTIPLE MULTIPLE TIMES THE CLINICAL DOSAGE TO GET TWEAKED AND JACK OFF FOR 12 HRS STRAIGHT WEAR OUT CAN BE EXPECTED TO PERHAPS EXPERIENCE A LITTLE BIT OF ALTERATION OF BRAIN FUNCTION

Yes but its not really all that pleasant to read like that

>recreational users
that includes using stimulants to read books. recreational users of dexamfetamine are people who use it to study or drive long hours. it's the part of adderall xr active ingredients which isn't just plain amphetamine.
>b-but but I consciously conned my doctor into thinking I have ADHD surely that stops side affects???
no. not even if you have actual ADHD do vasoconstrictors stop working on you.

what if you used them only intermittenly? to lose effectiveness wouldnt they need to be taken for long periods of time?

Some coffee works well enough for me.

I took adderall (not XR) recreationally a few times in high school, but it didn't make me want to sit and read...It made me happy and a little hyper.

>I am smarter than every doctor trust me I'm an user on Veeky Forums

Percocet is the best drug for reading desu

kratom

Did that with a friend once like 3 years ago and didn't feel anything, probably didn't take enough. How is it when you can actually feel it?

need to do non-head shop stuff on completely empty stomach and then it feels like a percocet

Where do you get it besides headshops and whats the difference?

I am so pissed that the DEA is banning it. Kratom saved my life pretty much.

I'd read maybe 10 books in my life up to age 24. Absolute shit focus and comprehension made reading a nightmare. Never believed in ADD, thought it was a pharmacy scam so just accepted my apparent shit focus as weak will. but finally said fuck it and got diagnosed + Adderall script. In the 3 yrs that I've taken it I've read almost 200 books. Fuck yes it helps me read. It's a miracle in my case.

i thought maybe they were pushing it back?

online, though it might be set to be scheduled at the end of the month

there's no real limit on that. it's like asking can you only get amphetamine psychosis as a long term user. there are always going to be people where one is too much just like there's probably some outlier who doesn't develop it despite a lifetime speed habit.
taking it for two weeks over finals is probably worse than taking it once every two weeks for fourteen weeks, but people don't always see those as habitual users and often pick the one that took less pills with more recovery time as the habitual users.

just read some articles on this and its legitimately sad. 3-5 million users. 1 death. schedule 1.

If the armchair neuroscientists on Veeky Forums were correct, every drug developed in the history of modern medicine would be a brain-melting, Zionist-FDA conspiracy pill.

That's not to say that it's impossible some psych medications don't have long-term side effects, but such effects seem to be quite poorly-understood.

I take it almost every day, but I usually prefer to relax and read after I've come down. I don't really have ADHD. Doctors love to tell me I do, though

Nah, took vyvanse to help finish reading and writing a paper and ended up with a worse grade on it than what I would have achieved without.

But in contrast doing the same while high got me a better grade on the paper but fuck if I could tell you anything about that book now.

best to read sober imo

sign the petition if you havent already:
petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/please-do-not-make-kratom-schedule-i-substance

But 20mg of aderral XR only lasts 8-12 hours

i don't understand what that's meant to contradict.

Well, if I take it once in the morning every morning wouldn't my brain still have time to "recover" from its damage to my pathways? I'm very tired and don't want to go to bed yet sorry

that would be habitual use, and adults metabolise it slower than kids, so, no.

the drug sheet should tell you early symptoms of circulatory/psychiatric/other problems and when it's contraindicated, and you should think about talking to a real life medical professional if you start to experience them, and maybe quiting to decrease future damage.

i can't really tell you how much is too much. you might as well as me how many beers will get you drunk. but yes, if you take amphetamines daily, you are in the habitual use risk group.

I agree. It's extremely depressing, and has made me even more disillusioned with the government. It's painful to watch the people in charge blatantly lie and restrict freedoms while you're forced to just stand there and take it. It makes me feel powerless.

the interview with the dea guy in the washington post article is absurd. "we want you all to know we hear you, maybe we will make it schedule three in the future - thats where i think it really is" what the fuck? how is it no one's job to step in and tell him to kill himself?

What if I only use it on weekdays? Or every second day? At what time period is an 18 year-old 5'6 120 IB most at risk?

m8, i'm not your doctor.

there are many people who can use street versions of amphetamines for years with no damage, and some who are damaged in months.
most people don't wind up severely damaged despite widespread use, but part of not getting severely damaged is a) luck and b) stopping if it is becoming a problem before it becomes a bigger problem. all of your suggestions would still be habitual use, but that just makes you at risk _not_ guaranteed to have a heart attack and die at the 10,000th pill.

i'm not saying stop taking it, hell, try ecstasy after ordering a testing kit, it's amazing, but be aware of the risk and how to treat problems if they do arise. there's no way to guarantee you'll be lucky or unlucky but you can look out for signs of problems of habitual use. tics and chorea and other problems are more likely to go away the sooner you spot them and less likely to become worse or permanent. eat well and get your heart listened to by a doctor a couple times a year especially if you're male. if it stops being worth the risk, stop doing it. stop freaking out so much too.

DESU you really can just drink tons of coffee and get a similar effect. If you don't have severe concentration issues you can get a reasonable effect from it as opposed to taking amphetamines. Coffee promotes dopamine production and at a level which would probably be substantial for you. You don't need to take adderall, so don't.

just smoke cigarettes and drink coffee like the rest of us

coffee gives me anxiety, or is that because i never drink it?

One time I smoked a joint and then read like 200 pages of The Road in one sitting. I usually never read while high but this one time I realized I hadn't hit my page quota and so I picked up the book while stoned. I only intended to read 20 pages or so but I just got so immersed that I couldn't stop until I'd finished the book. On of the best reading experiences of my life honestly.

you drank too much. drink it slower. how fast did you drink it? try drinking a small cup over ~1 hour. i get fucked up as well if i drink too much coffee or take too large of a caffeine pill.

The amount of coffee you have to drink to get near the level of amphetamine/methylfenidate has more side effect than those two

yeah im from new england so i normally get an iced coffee and that gets chugged. imma slow my roll

weed is about the opposite of adderall in terms of being able to see symbolism, etc. - at least in my case

That sounds awesome, I can read about 2 pages when I'm stoned

Can you see symbolism better stoned or o adderall?

This is exactly the issue. A lot of us are doing drugs anyway. We like drugs that improve our focus. Nicotine is great, caffeine is great. But how is this any more or less healthy than taking, say, a small dose (15-25mg) of extended release adderall?

better stoned- not sure if it has to be the roght sort of weed or anything, dont reallt smoke much

One time I watched an episode of Pokemon high (the definition of "lolweed" behavior) and I came up with this entire theory that Ash was schizophrenic and that Misty and Brock were hallucinogenic representations of his multiple dissassociative identities. I can't remeber how I came to this conclusion, but I was making all kinds of connections and seeing all sorts of evidence for it while stoned. Being high makes you consider subtext that isn't even there.

Are amphetamines really bad for your brain long term?

I'm on Focalin, which is not an amphetamine but similar, and am now kind of worried.

best thing for seeing symbolism is LSD.

If you take only a light dose (150ug or so), reading's a blast

Well I've been taking Kratom for a couple of years and it's been a good ride, but now the government is banning it for literally no reason. Fuck them.

I've never had the opportunity to do other drugs since I have no friends. Is tor still an option? Might have to bite the bullet and give it a shot. I guess I could try to get some kind of prescription. I'd probably fail though.

Why can't I just get drugs from a dealer like normal people do? How the fuck do people do this shit?

It's "bad" for a couple of organs: the same way that taking painkillers every day or any other drug every day is going to cause some wear and tear.
It's nothing much to be worried about, but if you start feeling ill, tell your doctor you take it as medication to rule out side effects of the drug as a cause. People get worried about the brain effects, but the effects on your heart, kidney, and liver are something your doctor should monitor too. This isn't to scare you, it's just common sense if you're taking a drug which can cause problems in those systems to monitor if they are causing problems.

well shit maybe I should just stop taking it all together.

I have really bad ADHD but the main thing holding me back is discipline.

It doesn't matter if I take medicine if I then just focus on jerking off for 8 hours, am I right?

You're supposed to find out from a friend.

Once you find one connection, it's much much easier to find others. Just ask someone who you think wouldn't be offended if he knows anyone who sells weed, and once you figure out that, ask the weed dealer if they know anyone who has whatever else you're looking for.

I don't have any friends.

make friends.

or if you're desperate, you can buy RC on the regular internet.

if you live in the states, 1p-LSD is legal to buy, and works just like LSD (but not much is known about it).

Read Erowid and decide for yourself.

Talk with your doctor. If you're worried about organ damage, he can do a blood test to see whether that's happening or not. He can also probably refer you for some kind of behavioral therapy to deal with the lack of discipline, which could help you cope better with/without drugs.
t. not your doctor

I'm mostly just worried about my brain.

My organs should be fine. Also I don't have the money to be getting blood work done or any of that stuff.

>brains are not organs
user, humans are terrible at evaluating risk. It's why they freak out about doctors telling them side effects. If you're not experiencing any unwelcome neurological side effects, then you're might be one of the people who don't get them. If you start experiencing them, or other side effects, you might need to quit. When you reach the point of being better off if you quit is different for everybody, and some people never reach it. I suggest you read the drug sheet, which lists symptoms that warrant calling your doctor or stopping medication. Though, if you are just using it to jack off, yeah maybe it's not worth any organ damage.

i think it's going to be near impossible to get kratom. since the demand will be so much lower than blow or weed, i dont think dealers will be around.

what exactly would you ask a doctor to test? or would you have to be straight and tell them what you've been doing? pks, adderall or anything.

tell the doctor you have been taking stimulants, however regularly for however long. he'll probably just check out your heart and do a blood panel, and tell you to stop doing drugs if you're worried about side effects and ask if you have any telling symptoms.

cardiac and psychiatric problems are usually the most worrisome ones which can get worse fast, so if you have a heart condition or psychotic symptoms don't take amphetamines ffs.

if you tell your doc you use drugs rec dont ever expect to be prescribed anything scheduled ever

>turn the freaking frogs gay

>Do stimulants like pic related help you read?

had an adderall script, 20mg/day for 5 or 6 months, didn't really see a noticeable increase in reading, overall risky (in terms of abuse) and only temporarily or periodically effective/useful (before negatives overcome positives).