Who are the notable female and/or black and/or trans philosophers?

Who are the notable female and/or black and/or trans philosophers?

I'm not trying to start a /pol/ thread, I assume there must be some, and I'd like to read them and decide their legitimacy on my own.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Táhirih
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

there aren't any actually notable ones
there are some relatively well-known female philosophers, and maybe a few black ones, but none that are actually great

Cornel West is the only one I can think of.

there are many female philosophers of note:
-Mary Wollstonecraft
-Simone de Beauvoir
-Ayn Rand*
-GEM Anscombe*
-Judith Butler*
-Phillipa Foot
-Germaine Greer
-Rosalind Hursthouse
-Christine Korsgaard
-Irish Murdoch*
-Martha Nussbaum*
-Linda Zagzebski*
-Hannah Arendt*
-Rosa_Luxemburg*
* here notability is deserved.

i cant think of many black philosophers with the acception of cornel west. though if you widen that to african then you could name loads.
notable does not mean great. notable doesnt even mean good. english better not be your first language, fäm.

are you mentally challenged or did you simply choose ignorance?

Not OP but solid list senpai, thanks

>leaving out Weil

What about trans? I can see you all havent bothered mentioning anything about them even though OP specifically singled them out in his post.

the fact of the matter is, if your idea of a philosopher is an old white man with a beard then good like trying to find an old white man that isnt an old white man

you've got to dig to find examples of black thinkers

It's funny how little of MLK's actual work gets discussed today.

MLK was a leftist and campaigned for labor rights and his work isn't even read or mentioned.

Perhaps they don't know any. I myself admit that I am unaware of any great or interesting trans philosopher. Do you happen to know any?

Anscombe is the greatest female philosopher

Non-Catholic female philosophers are worst girls

Probably because trans thought is very recent, the best you have is Deleuze, Guattari, Foucault and Butler. All of them speak about being trans, to varying degrees and with different purposes.

You can find a very healthy middle ground there, mate. A philosopher is someone who produces philosophy (or anti-philosophy, if that's a thing) inside the academical tradition of philosophy. As much as MLK was a great person and a historical figure, he wasn't a philosopher because he never even set to write philosophy.

Same sort of thing happened to me. Sam Harris invited me to his birthday party, which was 2 weeks after his birthday, and he said not to bring a present but when I got there everyone brought presents and Sam was even mad at me for it.

it has different meanings. for butler and beauvoir for instance, trans wouldn't exist, because all genders are creations or displays. you could argue krates' wife was acting like a man, but both krates and his wife aspired to be like ideal animals, not gendered. it's a slippery slope from there to calling diogenes transspecies.

that's funny because Christmas sweaters are corny XD

>notable does not mean great. notable doesnt even mean good. english better not be your first language, fäm.

"notable (comparative more notable, superlative most notable)

Worthy of notice; remarkable; memorable; noted or distinguished. "
english isn't my first language but I still know it better than you

holy shit with this. women aren't good at shit. black are dumb. we get it. add this type of pst to the sticky. no one gives a fuck about this argument.

unless you count eunuchs as trans then there really aren't any

note that you shouldnt really account for gender at all when reading philosophy, neither in favour or repulsion from women. though its good to have a number of names in your mind in case you need to put down a feminist who is complaining, or a misogynist rejoicing, about an apparent lack of reputed female philosophers.
(((weil))). but seriously i missed out lots of great female philosophers. these were literally just the first that came to my head.

Sadie Plant is a female philosopher of note

I'm not exactly educated in the liberal arts but

>Books by Martin Luther King, Jr.

Strength to Love. New York: Harper & Row Publishers, 1963. This is a collection of Dr. King’s most requested sermons.

Stride Toward Freedom: The Montgomery Story. New York: Harper & Row Publishers, 1958. Dr. King’s first book; the story of the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the beginning of the Nonviolent Civil Rights Movement.

The Trumpet of Conscience. New York: Harper & Row Publishers, 1968. (Foreword by Coretta Scott King.) This book is taken from the 1967 Massey Lectures which King gave through the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. King addresses issues including the Vietnam War, youth and civil disobedience and concludes with the “Christmas Sermon for Peace.”

Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community? New York: Harper & Row Publishers, 1967. An assessment of America’s priorities and a warning that they need to be re-ordered.

Why We Can’t Wait. New York: Harper & Row Publishers, 1963. The essential writings of Martin Luther King, Jr. , James M. Washington, ed.

>sermons
>history
>sermons and speeches
>a program / manifesto
>a compilation of the rest, I assume

Not philosophy. I actually like MLK, but he was not a philosopher. This doesn't detract or add to his work, a lot of good people - some even better than him, but a lot not - weren't philosophers in the academic sense and still provided powerful and important insights into the world, humankind, society and etc.

gotcha user

since you seem knowledgeable on the subject, can you give me your thoughts on Tahirih?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Táhirih

Germaine Greer deserves the notability.

Frantz Fannon was one of the founding figures of psychoanalysis which is definitely more philosophy than psychology at this point.

Does anyone know if Aesop was legitemately black? I know it doesnt matter but it would be interesting if he were actually nubian. And yeah I know it's questioned how responsible has as a person if was for Aesop's Fables.

>Rand deserves notability but not Beauvoir

>Worthy of notice; remarkable; memorable; noted or distinguished
wouldn't you agree that John Green is notable for being a bad writter?

Simone Weil