Aerospace Engineering

Getting kinda interested in aerospace engineering...
Good or bad? Worth it or not? Is it fun? Easy to get a job?

DIscuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/SCzRTYPaN9M
Veeky
nathangeffen.webfactional.com/spacetravel/spacetravel.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Just chase your dreams, money will follow.

Why do I love ULA so much? It's pretty simple when I think about it. ULA isn't just the best launch provider in the country; they might just be the greatest launch provider of all time. Just imaging the Altas V riding through the skies of Earth, the wind on its fairing, the mighty RD-180 below it. As she rides through the red sky, NASA swoons at her very scent. They know how she smells; the essence of burning RP-1 smell is sold in Orlando under the name of "Space Orgasm." The very nature of ULA is mystery. Could they be playing a deeper game than even Tory Bruno realizes? The answer is yes, ULA has transcended such boundaries as the physical world, and has free will to do whatever they sees fit. However, ULA is filled with such guile, such arcane craft that they does not even use these powers. Why, you might ask? You will never know, for the mind of the ULA is not one that is easily penetrated. ULA rockets are such a force of nature in this realm that nothing can truly touch them, the only thing keeping them bound to this world at all is their will to exist within the preordained boundaries understood physics. ULA is not only beyond the comprehension of us, it exists within a plane of true focus and beauty. Observe the plume of exhaust gasses from this Delta IV, the gorgeous and rippling flames, the gallant fairing, and most importantly, its engines. Her engines, like cauldrons straight from hell, provide the only glimpse into the true machinations of ULA. Do not stare into them. Many good men have gone mad in the attempt. ULA is not just a launch provider, a formless collection of engineers and rockets; they are themselves the binding that holds the word together. Without ULA, Musk the Menace takes over and the entire space industry as we know it crumbles. The Mississippi would stop flowing without ULA, Kessler syndrome would take over in orbit, and the space station would fall without their fiery gaze. These are just of a few of the reasons why I like ULA so much.

losers

My dad has a MS in Aerospace and he works on fixing the mistakes of BS software engineers' Flight control program data.

Getting kinda interested in pool splashing...
Good or bad? Worth it or not? Is it fun? Easy to get a job?

Currently a 3rd year in aero in a uni ranked top 5 in the subject/top 10 overall according to QS and THE.

>Good or bad
For you to decide after thorough research
>Worth it
I'd say definitely worth it because you get lots of transferable skills+can do any MechE job as well
>Fun
Depends on your programme, and what time of the year it is. Working on the supersonic wind tunnel for labs was fun, but some structures stuff can be quite boring
>Easy to get a job
If you want specifically aero jobs, it's medium difficulty. If you want an engineering job in general, it's easy so long as you're from a respectable school. I'm personally going for finance which is difficult for all majors/unis.

why dont you just do drugs?

Well, airplanes and flight are great to study
Space is bs.

What aboit getting an aero related job just with a mech msc

You can, but I don't think this'd be a good path if you want a fluids related role. We do so much more fluids than MechE

Imperial?

Graduated in May with a degree in ASE. Still looking for a job. I recommend doing everything in your power to land an internship or coop while you're still in school - which applies to most majors I imagine. It'll give you at least a year of experience which will make you more attractive to hiring managers. Not to mention the networking and foot-in-the door bonuses it affords.

We need to fund the shit out of NASA so we can space travel like:
youtu.be/SCzRTYPaN9M

NASA does muslim outreach and climate change research
not space travel

but muh gubment funding. Trump already said in his 100 day plan that Nasa should gtfo climate change research under the guise of "weather research".

well someone has to do the climate change research otherwise we'll all be dead before we can get off this planet

Someone recommend some books on aerospace engineering. Preferably aerospace software/systems engineering.

download ANSYS Fluent. do the tutorials.

tfw most of the girls I've talked to not in engineering think all I do in aero is design missiles used to bomb poor brown people. I fucking wish it was that interesting.

internships pretty necessary for most engineering majors now though, aren't they?

Yeah, sure seems that way. Most of the apps I fill out are advertised for people with at least a year of experience. About the only way a new grad can have that is with internship/coop experience. It's kind of a catch 22 if you miss out on those opportunities, though. Gotta have experience to get the entry level job to get experience.

Veeky Forums-science.wikia.com/wiki/Mechanical_and_Aerospace_Engineering

I have a question about acceleration.
nathangeffen.webfactional.com/spacetravel/spacetravel.php
If you have a ship that goes 99% the speed of light and a ship that goes 95% the speed of light, both accelerating at 1g. They both get to the destination at the same time? In keeping constant acceleration of 1g they never reach their top speed?

>enterprise decks parallel with axis of thrust
really nigga?

After months of feeling useless because I couldnt archive any bussiness that made me rich and almost felling into despair, I read this

And made me realize that I havent been chasing my dreams, but money

Thanks user, you made me able to sleep again

3rd year aero at top 5 uni here
>Good or bad?
good
>Worth it or not?
worth it
>Is it fun?
comes down to your electives, research, and extracurriculars
>Easy to get a job?
It's hard to get a job in the space industry. It's much easier to get one in the air industry and trivial to get a job in any kind of ground based mechanical engineering.

My advice is don't go into it if you're not passionate about it. Most of the people that were just kinda into it back in freshman year have dropped by now.

Depends on what you want to do. I sometimes regret not going into aerospace, but I realized that majoring in aerospace kind of pigeonholes me, and if I want to really do anything satisfying I would need to go to grad school. So I decided to major in mechanical and I'm thinking of picking up a degree in physics since I go to a pretty fine school for that (CU Boulder)

But overall, I'd say do what you want to first and foremost within reason. My recent realization that I love physics stems from how much I really haven't enjoyed this semester and I miss how cool physics was, even if dry at times.

You're going to be poor as fuck at the end of this either way, don't spend it miserable too.

Oh you guys actually replied.

I should have given more info.
I'm actually in my third year of Mechanical engineering, I was thinking about it as like a career specialization. Or maybe a masters in it maybe.

While yes the climate change research is true (and not a bad program), NASA has generally changed roles to a management and outsourcing agency over anything else. The number of lunches out of Cape Canaveral each year is on par, possibly even exceeding the number as when the shuttle program was at its height, the only change being that luanches are conducted by private companies as opposed to government contractors.

If anything, NASAs been aiding the forming a decent commercial market by promoting competition in the space industry (i.e. SpaceX becoming a competetor, Blue Origin, ULA no longer has a monopoly on government satellite luanches); they're not just a money sink like everyone seems to think they are.

Isn't the plan to have NOAA handle it all? They already do climate research and it seems like it makes sense to reduce redundancy.

Get a mechanical engineering degree instead, lets you get a job at an aerospace company just as well but has more versatility in case you find you want to move into a different industry. All of the people i know working at lockheed and SNC have mechE degrees.

This is definitely true. If you think you might want to do a fluids related roll and are doing MechE you should definitely take some extra fluid related electives