Veeky Forums approved learn methods

What are your approved learning methods and way of studying? How do you handle your learning experience?

Other urls found in this thread:

coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn/
scientificamerican.com/article/a-learning-secret-don-t-take-notes-with-a-laptop/
sites.udel.edu/victorp/files/2010/11/Psychological-Science-2014-Mueller-0956797614524581-1u0h0yu.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

micro studying

i keep two sets of notes. one in a barf book thats me just furiously scribbling down everything out of the lecture/textbook, and a separate master codex that i compile all the good stuff into afterwards.

the masterbook is small and i take it EVERYWHERE. if i got 5 minutes in line, i read a page. taking a shit, read a page.

squeezing in pages throughout the day i get 2 hours of solid study time without ever having to sit down and "study".

Masturbate until 2 days before the exam and then cram for 20 hours.

Masturbate when i feel horny and think of big anime tiddies, since it makes me dumber to not release my sperm and also i need to create more testosterone and think more sharp
Study normally but create random problems so i can practice what i learned
Good sleep, vitamins and a good amount of water in order to not be dehydrated
And finally some coffee so i can have good focus on what i'm learning anyway

Yeah look up that MOOC "Learning How to Learn"

early to bed early to rise.

breakfast is the most important meal of the day.

coffee in the morning is good.

exercise in the afternoons should not be neglected.

don't do illicit drugs such as cannabis, or amphetamines.

Music to get in the mood and focus. Get good sleep. Don't neglect nutrition and coffee. Short breaks now and then.

Cheers for mentioning this mate, looks like they started the MOOC today as well, so its the ideal time to enroll.

>>\adv

bump for interest

This is the most effective. I have done this all my live and never got anything below an A ever.

This is actually a really good idea desu

this

sexual tension ruins everything

and you want to study, not to spoil time and money (if ever had any) on a spoiled princess who wants to abuse you (well, you want to fuck her so maybe that is fair)

I have a physics 2 exam in two days. h e l p

>sit down
>read
>solve problems
>if wrong
>read again

too late lol

even if you masturbate af

k*k is right but you need usually time, unless you are a fucking genius or something

Writing shit down on graph paper helps a fuckton for me studying math or code
was flunking a networking class so for the final I wrote down every command for cisco switches and routers repeatedly in neat evenly spaced lettering, went from an F to a B on the final alone
I dont do it enough despite I know how well it works for me.

Read material, do practice problems until I think I have a good understanding, read more. Watch youtube videos and find other sources if I'm struggling with a concept.

Anki

so i remember sci talking about a learning to learn course somewhere, can someone link it ?

Yeah, it's here: coursera.org/learn/learning-how-to-learn/

thanks user

I only use pen and paper to take notes. Try to work things out mentally without drawing or writing anything. It has worked wonders for me.

This, leave it till the last moment and masturbate like fuck, keep lots of nice comfort food in plus apples, everyone is different though, it might not be for you, plus you may need to not leave it to the last minute as such, a few days for first and second year BSc, 4 to 5 days for third year BSc

skip lecture all semester, learn everything two nights before the exam

in research, similarly learn material whenever it comes up that you need it

if you ever need something in a later course you didnt learn well in a previous course because of using method 1, google it, learn it on the spot, and finish your work

eventually it all averages out and you know everything you were supposed to

What other ways are there to take notes?

Some people don't take notes and just use highlighter on the text, and you can also use a computer to take notes, which is supposedly worse than taking notes on paper (there was a study that showed that people who take notes by hand remember more of the material than those who take notes on a laptop and study the same amount of time).

That is woke as fuck. Is the master codex aesthetic?

>amphetamines
Sorry, my ADHD doesn't allow me to function without them. Ever since taking them I have been highly productive. However, I agree with everything else you said. Cannabis is just a waste of money.

Can you source the study? It would seem logical that you would remember more by writing than just pasting shit on your laptop, but I felt like notes were for brainletslmao

scientificamerican.com/article/a-learning-secret-don-t-take-notes-with-a-laptop/
sites.udel.edu/victorp/files/2010/11/Psychological-Science-2014-Mueller-0956797614524581-1u0h0yu.pdf
tl;dr students listen to a lecture and take notes, the ones taking notes on laptops perform worse than the ones using longhand. The researchers hypothesize that this may be caused by the fact that students who use laptops can write faster, so they just transcribe the lecture almost verbatim instead of summarizing the information like the students in the longhand group do. They test this by instructing the laptop users to summarize the information instead of just writing everything down, and surprisingly the laptop group shows no improvement, which may be because it is just too easy to just write down everything the lecturer says.

>felt like notes were for brainlets
Yeah, so you think the greatest scientists throughout history were too smart to take notes? I think their notes were the stuff that made them famous in the first place user. Think about it for a second.

Those weren't notes they took in class tho, those were their own findings.

>Take down notes.
>Compile into digestible chunks.
>Leitner System.

Based answer.

You went to a liberal arts college didn't you

Fucking kekked after the sensible first post.

> I felt like notes were for brainletslmao

kys

>but I felt like notes were for brainletslmao

wew, this guy

You ready for this?

1. Look at your textbook and write out the examples all decent textbooks should have
2. Do problems.
3. Do practice tests.

And then you're done.

Literally how I'm doing my PhD

Look at course contents.
Watch lectures online.
Do questions in textbook(s).
Revise concepts/techniques I don't understand.
Honestly I think this only works for courses like maths, EE or physics but I'm not sure since that's all I study.

just go to class and pay attention
you don't gotta take notes; just follow what the prof is doing
that's literally all you have to do if you're not an idiot

I give the same amount of focus to 'easy' problems as I do 'hard' ones. I also try to derive as much as I can from the previous days reading before beginning the current days reading. I have found this is better than just reviewing by reading because it improves my recall and derivation. Always start with the axioms!

>Read chapter sections before lecture, skim mostly
>go to all lectures
>furiously take notes
>re-read chapter in more detail
>do practice problems within 48 hours of lecture and reading
>Do this for all classes, every class, all week
>Fuck off all weekend, do some work if I have to

Exams, in this order:
>Read all my notes
>Take a practice test if given, or make one if not. Take under exam conditions
>analyze what I got wrong
>condense it to 5-7 pages handwritten, focus on stuff I dont know with examples
>Practice problems on shit i am bad at
>Condense notes again to 1-2 pages
>practice problems from every section until satisfied
>go to bed

It seems time consuming but it's really not that bad if you do part of this every day. I have almost straight As so I guess it works

Only way for me too. I need to write, calculate and code stuff in order to understand it. Just reading it does nothing for me.

bump

Honestly I found that finding the right teacher made worlds difference in my moral for the class, the involvement of the work and how well I did. Teachers who give a shit about the kids who give a shit do miles better than teachers who don't give a shit at all

in mathematics, i only learn the definitions and try to work everything else out by myself

i usually end up cramming, but i've have some impressive insights while going into tests blind

How you're supposed to do it m8. Insight learning is what separates us from the apes.

Apes have insight learning too

I fucking hate it when some fucking useless TA doesnt give me an A on the homework because I used the fact that all elements in a group have unique inverses, but didnt explicitly name it because its fucking trivial.

but can they do triple integrals

Who knows

This shit right here works like hell, however it may be dangerous, you may memorize all the shit to the exam and get good grades and just forget everything after that. Still, recommended.

Another easy way to obtain knowledge is to pay attention to the lectures, that's what I've been doing for a long time, there will be no need to open any book.

From the start of freshman year I would pop into lecture halls for classes I knew I had to take later. Take notes and pay attention. If they overlapped with my lecture I went to the alternative lecture anyways since first semester is pretty easy. Afterwards repeat and it'll be easier to pass the class.

autism speaks

how do you decide what the good stuff is?

How well do you learn in this case? And is it literally 2 days or how much?

I've done it this way and i do learn better under pressure but still don't get grades that good

i think about it. nobody knows you better than you my man. be honest with what you understand and what you need work on. thinking about what might be on the test is fine too if you just want to cheese it like that.

i usually put a few summaries of the textbook/lecture and a few choice problems. the main thing is to give yourself a few days to cogitate and digest the material.

>Is the master codex aesthetic?

yeah i guess. pic related. i buy a new one every semester.

>Be in college algebra.
>Book says find nth term using substitution.
>Professor counts answer wrong if I don't use his elimination method.
>Get answer right on exam.
>Get's counted as wrong.
Shoot me nigga.

Guzzling caffeine and going on 24-48 hour learning binges before crashing in a pile of your own vomit. After waking up a couple days later, repeat the process.

What do you study?

mechanical engineering, but i got my first degree in english literature.

why

because i did a shitload of community college when i was in the military and had enough GI bill to spare when i got out.

after almost dying for israel i just wanted to chill out, smoke weed, and read books for a little while.

Thank you greatest ally

Usually write down everything the prof writes on the blackboard, like a direct copy. However, I never actually read these notes. To me, it's enough to just write it down and I remember ~80% of it. Then I'll just do practice problems for a week or so before the exam to make sure I understand the full curriculum and do pretty alright. Havent gotten any grades below B this far doing this.

Appproach the students in the class that are struggling and offer help. Teaching/tutoring them solidifies info for me and also makes me feel like jesus