So I'm finding that I'm pretty good at math when I really dedicate myself to it like i have the last few semesters...

So I'm finding that I'm pretty good at math when I really dedicate myself to it like i have the last few semesters, and I'm considering switching my major to math because i like doing it. What are the job prospects for someone who's pretty good at math?

Or should i stick to comp sci so i can find a job?

maths more job prospects than compsci.

Pic related: my face when i complete a proof with an especially illuminating logical relationship.

How so? It seems like it's all academia/actuarial/business related. Not that those are terribly bad, just doesn't seem like there's a lot out there.

you can literally do anything with math because its considered the most skilled degree. that or physics. if you want to go into computer industry then math degree probably just as or more desiirable aslong as you can code well or whatevr. you can literally do anything and almost any graduate program if you chose to go further. its definitely the most open ended degree. any job you can get with another degree, u can probably get with a math degree.

t. future accountant because he's a human calculator with no other skills

This is true however one problem in some countries is, a BSc in Math alone is a bit useless. You'd need at least a MSc to be taken seriously.

Whereas a BSc in CS is already employable.

MSc plus job experience. Don't be that mong who goes into a meme degree like math and cant find any work because he's overqualified for introductory jobs

make sure to take:
numerical analysis
linear programming
probability
statistics
pde

an algorithms and an advanced data structures course as well

why is that?

How do you get job experience? Should I have job experience while doing my Masters?

It's just a matter of job market expectations. Probably just a matter of demand and supply (too many useless math majors).

>pde

Why? How are they used in application compared to ode?

All my friends got good programmer jobs at awesome companies hired over our cs people or are in finance getting payed well. We all got jobs it was a great choice. The degree just reads hard working, smart, and high ablity to learn new conceptually difficult material. Pure math people typically have good communication skills.

>an algorithms and an advanced data structures course as well

Why the fuck would you waste money learning that in college? Just read CLRS on your own.

Lol so true... You just say I need a algorithm for x with these constraints and find the one with the best efficiency in your data size. Data structures are cool if you are uhh I don't know writing a library lol. Look up a hash function bam you are now certified data structure expert. Its not like what someone means when they talk about a data structure in the wild (structs, classes...) has anything to do with the material taught in a book and hashing isn't covered sufficiently in a data structures course its better taught in crypto.

CS is a worthless major, you should switch to literally anything else.

Employers are starting to wise up to cs degrees.

>CS is a worthless major

What about the thousands of jobs that being a CS major opens you up to? Its not my favorite subject but everyone is retarded at it, so it's easy to stand above the rest.

Short answer yes, nowadays experience is a must and if you're on your MSc you should already have at least an internship or something.

Look for internships and student placements, there are a ton of them out there. I'd value more how interesting it looks to you than the payroll.

Is it common for internships to be accomodating to your current courseload?
I wanna intern somewhere but i have to be at school for the entirety of monday and wednesday.
I'm a pure math undergrad with a small amount of programming knowledge, but 5+ years experience working with and repairing computers. What kind of companies should i apply to for internships?

Why is ceramics okay but C.S. needs all that specific stuff? Fake

Bump for this question

>I can't even be assed to google it and find out it's real

CS majors everyone.

>What about the thousands of jobs that being a CS major opens you up to?

>he believes the outsaucing meme

get into machine learning or something if u want (more) math.

There are probably some more intersections between math and compsci you can get into.

It isn't a matter of belief. It's a matter of being in the sector and seeing it happening on a daily basis. But by all means, go for it.

bump before this thread gets purged

this is what math undergrads actually believe