Combination Circuit Problem

Hey Veeky Forums I know you won't do my homework for me, but could you at least check to see if this is correct (the solving for R_t part).

If I got it wrong, please explain the proper way.

Bumping with random shit

yes. this would be easier to automate through some linear algebra though

this board is slow. don't bump, it will make people not want to read your thread. basically the "I'm new" of Veeky Forums is bumping

>combine center resistors
>find current through both branches
>work your way backwards

simple shit, Ohm is your friend.

note taken.
Would the statements I added in the top right corner be correct?

I'm pretty sure the current statements are right, but I got confused when coming up with the voltage statements (especially in relation to R_1).

>update
R_1 voltage relations still confusing me though

OP here: I'm still convinced that I did not correctly apply the relation to the inner parallel circuit with R_1 correctly. According to an engineer I got a friend to ask R_t = 414K, but he failed to explain how he got it.

Under my current formula I end up with 3.316 Ohms, which is completely different. I want to say my source is reputable, as he does this for a living, but he made it pretty clear that he was busy.

Here ya go

RT = 1500||(270+(680||(12+530))) kΩ and RPN is your friend.

RT= 413.88 IT= 0.32
PT = 43.2
-----
IR5=0.09 PR5= 12.15
IR1 = 0.23 PR1 = 31.05
pretty sure i might have made a mistake...

Replace with:
Vs = (V_R1 + V_R4) = V_R5

RT is correct but unit is kΩ (see image above)
IT = Vs/RT = 3.261775233e-04 A or 0.326 mA
PT = Vs*IT = 4.403396564e-02 W or 44 mW

I can't stand seeing nested divisors. Somehow fix that shit user.

OP HERE

I don't understand how you guys are coming up with such a large number for RT. All of the resistors are within a parallel circuit so whatever numbers you're crunching to get RT; the formula all together would have a dividend of 1, resulting in a small ass number. Please tell me you made an error or something punching it in on the program.

Sorry man, I am not comfortable using the the linear algebra method, as I don't know how to translate it into commands my calculator can understand.

That doesn't change anything. The parenthesis are implied.

Thanks for catching that!

please refer to Can you please explain why the number is so fucking big? It's literally driving me nuts.

OP HERE

Nevermind... after breaking it down and building it back up I got 413.885kΩ, but I still have no clue as to how one would write it as one big equation.

Props to whoever can come up with the right one.

The two forward slash means parallel

Do a simple sanity check:
(|| means in parallel, all values in kΩ !!)
680||542 is about 600||600 = 300
300+270 is about 500
1500||500 = 1500/4 or about 400
same ballpark as real value

Props to myself. What a bitch of a calculation though.

Man, I really should get around to learning how to do calculations through the method you guys use. It seems far less precarious than the method I'm currently using.

>What a bitch of a calculation though.
Are you serious? A few nested fractions and you're already struggling? Believe me, things can get much, much worse.

It's a good thing BME isn't a real engineering field.

I always use the functional notation (look at )
Calculating RT took me about half a minute (because RPN)

I'll definitely look into that if I ever have to deal with this kind of stuff--which is inevitable--but for now I just want to finish the problem and move on to a 6 page paper I have for History.